Duplex on green title block (WA)

Hi Guys

Just trying to get some opinions regarding a duplex which is built over two green titled blocks.

The property I'm looking at is roughly 500 sqm, 3 bed 1 bath which shares a common wall with the building next door. The figures for the property all stack up however I'm thinking of how the common wall may affect the property in the future. (Capital Gains / Development)

The duplex was built in 1977, each half has a separate driveway etc, just a common wall in the middle.

In the future if I did want to rebuild what would the process be in regards to the common wall, If you couldn't buy the block next door I assume you would need their permission to knock down your half and there would be regulations regarding what can be done to the common wall? What happens if a granny moves in next door and doesn't want anything to change for the next 30 years?

The 10 to 20 year plan is just for buy and hold.

TLDR; Green titled block with a shared common wall. Would you consider it for an investment or would there be too many hassles in the future?

Cheers

I'm almost certain they would not be able to stop you doing as you like as long as you don't actually damage the other side's property (including an easement if applicable to the common wall).

The only problem I see with it is that both sides of the duplex are enclosed by the same roof. It doesn't appear like you could knock down one side without affecting the other half.

if you can see past this perceived 'problem' you may bag it at good value. survey strata duplexes offer similar opportunities. Hegney was tipping them in Wembley Downs (or churchlands?), pretty sure WD. The only diff between a house and a villa is perception (and thus marketing). If yu can divorce your neighbour you are suddenly a house on a green title block

The only problem I see with it is that both sides of the duplex are enclosed by the same roof. It doesn't appear like you could knock down one side without affecting the other half.

And this is often the practical problem with green title or 2 lot survey strata duplexes. On the plus side, extensions are often not a problem.

The only diff between a house and a villa is perception (and thus marketing). If yu can divorce your neighbour you are suddenly a house on a green title block

Yeah a 2 lot survey strata with no common property pretty much has the same rights as green titled lots. Any more than 2 lots on the survey plan starts eating into your rights though.

it you want to "cut" them in half along the boundary, each building needs it's own cavity wall, footing system and fire-rated accordingly.

could just be a case of 12in friction saw, some conc and a brickie - could be a lot more.

it you want to "cut" them in half along the boundary, each building needs it's own cavity wall, footing system and fire-rated accordingly.

could just be a case of 12in friction saw, some conc and a brickie - could be a lot more.

how is it worked out who pays what? does whoever does the change pay the lot, or does each side bear their own costs?

how is it worked out who pays what? does whoever does the change pay the lot, or does each side bear their own costs?

you may tell them all about the value it would add and how you would love for them to go halves in the option.

50% of people probably would.

the other 50% will be quite fine with how it all is and you will bear the cost of the lot, plus whatever "noise money" you will need to pay.

Back