Duplex Project - Number 5

What house plans/company are you using on this one?

We designed these from a modification of the past 4 houses and are Owner Builders so no company involved. All materials are sourced locally from building suppliers.

Everything went pretty well to plan this week. All sub floor bracing is done and got rid of the last pile of excavated clay.

Attachments

• 05042012835.jpg
    05042012835.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 05042012839.jpg
    05042012839.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 152
Rockstar,
Congrats on your fifth project its looking good...

1) Thanks for continually posting photos / updates - its a great way for others (such as myself) to learn more about the development process.

2) You definitely do not muck around - what is your expected time to completion from taking ownership of the land (and I realise that you did you some drainage work prior to settlement).

Thanks
Nick

Thanks Nick, I usually allow around 4 months from going to site which was about 3 weeks ago. Should be finished in July. Council is a bit more pedantic with duplexes compared to single occ. All landscaping has to be completed before a final cert is issued. We have learnt to submit minimalistic landscape plans. ;)

Strata subdivision and registration can drag out after the final cert. Usually takes around 8 weeks. We have sold before "subject to registration of strata" which helps get the new owner into the property. They pay an agreed rent up until the settlement date.

Its interesting the different building methods employed.
Your roof and wall frames look like they have been made offsite thus go up a lot quicker.

My builder started a week ago on the roof frame and is still going. They are apparently designing it as they go since the 2 duplex's ceiling supports while having some commonalities are different.
For example on a couple of the rooms the beams run N/S and on the other identical duplex they are W/E.

Your roof and wall frames look like they have been made offsite thus go up a lot quicker.

Yes they are prefab frames and trusses. Saves time.

For example on a couple of the rooms the beams run N/S and on the other identical duplex they are W/E.

Maybe he found a better way? Sounds like you don't have trusses? Is it beams and rafters perhaps?

My houses are bottom of the market so we keep things very simple. The last 6 houses have been rectangular boxes with gable roof and a deck or verandah thrown in somewhere to make them look a bit cuter. I learnt a few projects ago not to go for the more complex 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car lock up garage with internal entry model. These smaller homes are yielding us an extra 100k over the more complicated ones and they appear more spacious on the site providing larger private open space areas. They are also better rent yielders if held.

Plans attached. Floor plans are identical but elevations differ. House 1 has carport and House 2 has garage under.

Attachments

• DSCF4813.JPG
    DSCF4813.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF4816.JPG
    DSCF4816.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSCF4817.JPG
    DSCF4817.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for this thread and the photo story board Rockstar, its an enjoyable read with an ability to watch it unfold

hmm..typed unflod above before I adjusted it, which may have been appropriate also :D

Following with interest

Rockstar you are starting to make me envious.

I agree 2 bedroom duplex and KISS (Keep everything simple ) is the way to go.

We are seeing most new houses, units etc in WA (top end) are built out of colourbond (termites) so I am motivated to do a colourbond & timber project next although I do wish to dip a toe in the water with a commercial project.

Good luck with the weather
Sheryn

Maybe he found a better way? Sounds like you don't have trusses? Is it beams and rafters perhaps? .

Yes it is beams/rafter design. I just found it curious since I would have thought there would be a design done for the ordering of the timber.

Last edited:
Yes it is beams/rafter design. I just found it curious since I would have thought there would be a design done for the ordering of the timber.

Well you should have had some engineers drawings outlining the construction members, spans and layout? The builder should be following those plans I would expect?

Well you should have had some engineers drawings outlining the construction members, spans and layout? The builder should be following those plans I would expect?

Nah, using a project builder on this one. All you get is a floor plan and elevation.
Only way I could get the structural for the roof is apply to the council for it. I'm not concerned atm. The main steel beams have ended up in same locations so its mainly cosmetic differences. I'll evaluate it properly when they have finished and check the spans.

Nah, using a project builder on this one. All you get is a floor plan and elevation.
Only way I could get the structural for the roof is apply to the council for it. I'm not concerned atm. The main steel beams have ended up in same locations so its mainly cosmetic differences. I'll evaluate it properly when they have finished and check the spans.

Surely they are working of engineering drawings, project builder or not?

Rooster

Ready for roofwork now. Materials were delivered today. Facia and gutter to go on tomorrow and roofing will be done friday and Saturday. First sign of rain today since framing started. Must be roofing time.:(

Getting gyprock quoted presently. First quote was around 15.5k for both houses. 2 more quotes to come. Gypocking should begin week after next. Cladding and eave linings will be done next week. Will then paint the outside so that scaffold can come down.

Began sanding and arissing assorted hardwood timbers today ready for oiling.

Attachments

• 06042012843.jpg
    06042012843.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 11042012850.jpg
    11042012850.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 10042012849.jpg
    10042012849.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 168
Well the wet weather is back with showers every day. Facia and gutter went on Thursday and Roofers tried to work on Friday, only managing to put on most of the battens. Plenty of showers last night and forcast wet weather increasing made me a little anxious but accepted whatever happens, happens.

Woke up to early showers but roofers turned up as promised at 7.30am. Great fortune held the wet weather off for the rest of the day and resulted in both roofs sheeted with some minor finishing to do on Monday. On track for cladding to begin on Monday.

Two more gyprock quotes came in - 12k & 13k. Looks like the local guy I have been using is getting the sack. His prices have been sneaking up too much and at 15.5k I can't justify using him, even though he does a good job.

Attachments

• 13042012854.jpg
    13042012854.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 14042012857.jpg
    14042012857.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 14042012860.jpg
    14042012860.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 137
Cladding is well underway with one house complete. Plumbing rough in completed and electrical rough in will be done by Monday. Gyprocking will begin mid next week. Heavy rain was predicted the past two days and we escaped with a few pesky showers during the day with most of the rain falling overnight. The site is sticky and slippery but my tradies are working positively to finalise things for gyprocking. Fix out materials were ordered yesterday to keep my chippies going after gyprocking. Painting outside will be done next week.

Attachments

• 16042012861.jpg
    16042012861.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 160
  • 17042012865.jpg
    17042012865.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 18042012867.jpg
    18042012867.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 172
Keep up the good work!

Hopefully one day i will be in a position to do something like this too, in the meantime im trying to fatten up the "'purchase-reno-hold" IP portfolio- then years down do builds like this...... Ah the dream!

Keep up the good work!

Hopefully one day i will be in a position to do something like this too, ...... Ah the dream!

Hoping won't work. Just believe and work toward the goal if you really want it to happen. It really comes down to what you want to achieve and what your motivation is. Keep reviewing your position and focus your thoughts on what you really want to achieve. If the motivation is healthy the results will come.
Sorry for the uncalled for discourse! :D

Finished cladding yesterday. My chippy and his two young apprentices achieved all this in nine days work from bearers to lock up. Roof was done by others.

Time to get serious about painting the outside. Sparkie has one house to rough in and plumber has begun downpipe work. Gyprockers are booked in for Thursday so insulation batts will be placed into external walls on Monday.

Having a smooth run despite the wet weather. Thankfully most of the rain has been falling at night - we had over 75mm two nights ago.

Attachments

• 21042012872.jpg
    21042012872.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 166
My goodness you don't muck around do you Rockstar! Well done with the progress in all this rain and thanks for the updates - always a good read. Hopefully it will stay dry until you get the outsides sorted out at least.

Hopefully it will stay dry until you get the outsides sorted out at least.

No such luck Laurie. Raining again today yet the gyprockers managed to get all their sheets in just before the skies opened. :cool: A team of 4 guys sheeted both houses in 1 day which was very impressive. Another team will be back on Monday to begin setting and finishing. Should be all over by Thursday. Chippies began on front porticos today and laid one of the back decks. Painters and plumber gave up when the rain arrived.

Aiming to have portico and car port framing, internal fix out and exterior painting done by the end of next week. Scaffold can come down the following week.

Back