Dymphna Boholt Seminar Syd 17/2 + Terry Ryder

Hello all.

I've spent an hour or so reading all the rather-dated comments on Dymphna Boholt and her old seminars.

I intend to go to Sydney (from Canberra) this weekend to go to her PropertyMastery Investment seminar. It only cost me $97 from memory.

My questions - does anyone have any recent information/opinions on her or Property Mastery? Is anyone else from this forum going?

I would never spend $4000 on hers or anyone else's education programs as I would rather use it towards my first IP.

My goal is to buy my first before 30 June this year and over the next 10-15 years build up enough passive income to retire comfortably on. I have read books from all sorts of well known authors and attended one of Michael Yardney's seminars, but I'm still scared to actually begin. Committed to doing it, but scared none-the-less. As a 45 yr old single mum, there ain't a lot of room, either financially nor time to recover, for making big mistakes. So I'm hoping, to get a shot of time-to-do-it confidence from the seminar and hopefully meet some likeminded people.

I know there will be a 'buy my product' component to the seminar, but I am strong minded enough to let it wash over me.

Any thoughts, oh-you-mighty-gurus-who-have-actually-done-what-I've-been-dreaming-about?

Also if anyone from Canberra is going, let me know, we may be able to travel together to share costs.

On a separate issue, anyone bought any of Terry Ryder's recent reports? If so, would you recommend buying them? How has he tracked on his predictions over the last couple of years? I know he's got a lot right, but what percentage are they of his overall predictions? Anyone know?
Thanks all
Jan

Well, I think it is a good idea that you don't take too much note of the strategies she was selling even 9 mths ago....because today's market is very different.

Rams debacle, rates rising, sub prime, cpi, foreign credit crunch, rent pressure, growth stagnant in an increasing number of outlying suburbs, change of govt......

Try and read up on some of the forecasts from the major Aussie banks in relation to what is going on with supply of credit. The value of property is ultimately determined by the cost of credit.
ANZOutlook
NAB Outlook
D&BExpectation
AIG
RBA Stats

I have been reading her over-the-top advertising pamphlet on the bus today. Initially I am tempted to spend $97 just to hear what she has to say. She claims she has some kind of property secrets. But on a second thought instead of wasting $97 and one day, I would instead spend the saturday with my family. In property investing I don't think there are any secrets all these people claim they have and try to transfer thousand $$ from your bank account to their's.

Last edited:
There's a bit on Jenman's site if you're interested in what he thinks:

http://www.jenman.com.au/find/index.php?query=dymphna&type=simple

http://www.jenman.com.au/news_item.php?id=392

And few spruikers are promising to make you wealthier faster right now than Dymphna Boholt as she tours the country claiming she can take you from zero to $3.5 million in just 18 months.

Dymphna's currently luring crowds of 200 or more to these free get-rich seminars.

Doesn't anyone wonder why she doesn't just stay home and make lots of those tantalising three-and-a-half millions for herself?

Ski Bunny

There are no secrets or special knowledge you need to pay for. Dymphna (or any property guru) doesn't know anything that isn't widely known in the investing community.

Plenty of successful property investors were around before these so called gurus were.

Everything (and everyone to answer any questions) you need is in this forum and books at Dymocks. But the absolute best way to learn is by doing.

Edit: Terry Ryder is tipping the outer suburbs of Adelaide to have high growth in 2008.

I'm not going to condone Dymphna's advertising because she does use over-the-top hype... as do many promoters. I just ignore that. :rolleyes: It doesn't detract from the fact that she has a lot of knowledge and is generous in sharing it.

I've done many of Dymphna's seminars, most recently in ?November 07. Dymphna does not have one or even a handful of strategies - she teaches the gamut. She prefers to hold, but she doesn't say "never sell". She teaches about structures, but always recommends advice tailored to one's particular circumstances. I've heard her tell people how they could be very aggressive and build huge portfolios in a short period of time, and I've heard her tell people how to buy one or two IPs over a long period of time with relatively low LVRs. She supports people in whatever goals they have.

Dymphna is knowledgable about and has personally tried many, many strategies - standard buy and holds, renovations, wraps, lease options, P&C options, subdivisions, buying freehold and business and splitting off the business, funding negative gearing with equity, development take-outs, vendor finance, extended settlement, off-the-plan, get a DA and flip, large developments, transportable houses, mining towns, prestige property, balance of residential commercial and industrial, foreign investing, cashflow and growth investments... and probably many others that I can't recall right now. She doesn't recommend any particular strategy - she tells what all the strategies are and what the pros and cons of each are, and how they may or may not fit particular circumstances and stages of the property cycle.

As she teaches pretty much every strategy and explains how they work in various stages of the property cycle, I don't think there's any validity to arguments that her "strategies" are outdated (since there are no Dymphna Boholt strategies - she teaches a huge variety of property strategies). I know many of Dymphna's former students, and most of them have completely different property investing strategies - because they've taken what suits their circumstances/personality the best and pursued that.

She also teaches about asset protection, taxation, lending, insurance, property management, and many other aspects of successful property investing.

Dymphna has a large portfolio and is an extremely savvy businesswoman. She knows what she's talking about and she doesn't need, financially, to teach. She teaches because helping others feel empowered and in financial control is her passion; she is very genuinely excited about the achievements of others (particularly single Mums, as that's her background). If you're too cynical to believe that anybody does anything because they want to help others, then don't believe it and don't go; your loss. :rolleyes:

I've been to most of the other gurus' seminars and have read many well-known authors (McKnight, Yardney, Somers, Lomas, Turnbull, de Roos, Ryder, etc) - and I return to Dymphna's seminars every time. I've gotten something from all these authors, and I'm not criticising any of them at all, but I believe that Dymphna is easily the most well-rounded property investor that I've encountered. She has a particularly broad experience base.

I'm highly confident that an investment of a day and $97 will provide you with an exceedingly positive return.

I will be at Dymphna's seminar on Sunday.

Some of her stories are dated, such as her ability to find positively geared properties at the low end of the market which she found some years ago. She is very much into the "manufactured growth" path to finding positively geared properties in the current market, rather than finding CF+ in their present form. However, she does have the ability to get you thinking about which path you want to take in investing. Unlike some other speakers, she doesn't spruik just one method of property investing.

While I expect there will be the hard sell to join her program, you will get enough information out of this to get you thinking about what strategies would suit you and have you inspired to start researching. It is also a good opportunity to meet likeminded people. (as this forum also provides)

for $97 what have you got to lose? go for it, and if you only get one idea, concept or motiviation out of the day, then it is well worth it.

There are no secrets or special knowledge you need to pay for. Dymphna (or any property guru) doesn't know anything that isn't widely known in the investing community.
I would agree that pretty much everything that Dymphna teaches are established techniques. But I've not found any other presenter or one book that brings as many different strategies together in one place as Dymphna, and compares them to each other objectively. Most gurus have a philosophy or strategy that they favour, whereas Dymphna really emphasises that there's no one right way - just many different ways.

I don't think the fact that the knowledge can be obtained elsewhere detracts at all from the value of a seminar; lots of people learn better from listening and being able to ask questions than by reading a book.

Our whole education system is based on the premise that people like to have information that is new to them explained to them by a real person, and have the ability to ask questions. By your logic, why send your kids to school or uni - why not just get them to borrow books from the library and teach themselves?

Thats a ridiculous analogy. Students aren't asked to pay thousands of dollars ( i know this one is only$97) to go to a hyped up weekend boot camp.

And the cheaper ones are to sell the more expensive ones.

I'm all for education, but these seminars aren't about education, they are about making the presenters money.

As for asking questions, theres no shortage of successful gurus right here on the forum.

Tracey, I dont know how long you have been investing but i bought my first IP 20 years ago this year and have been around the block a few times. I've seen them come and go (and put in jail) and Dymphna's a dead set shocker.

You will realise later on in your property journey that you don't need 'gurus' telling you how to succeed. Usually after you've spent thousands and thousands of dollars.

Also, how many different ways do you need to succeed? You only need one way that works for you. And you dont need a guru to tell you which one is best.

SkiBunny, I've been to Dymphna's seminars and I've told you what I think and why.

For others: I'm sick of seeing myself and others attacked and belittled for offering their opinions. Opinions are just that; and everybody's entitled to one, and they should be allowed to express it on this forum without fear.

If somebody makes a statement that's factually incorrect, feel free to correct the facts. But I'm really fed up with people getting rude and abusive simply because they have a different opinion, and using unnecessarily emotive and disrespectful language. :mad: I've worked very hard to continue to speak more politely to others than many of them speak to me, but I'm getting really tired of having to make such a Herculean effort.

Soon there won't be many people left who are willing to offer advice and share their experiences, because they get a few thanks, but more often abuse. :(

Tracey,

If you are referring to my post. Apologies if you were offended. I was stating my opinion, just as you were.

But can you please point out where i attacked, belittled and was abusive toward you? Thanks.

For others: I'm sick of seeing myself and others attacked and belittled for offering their opinions. Opinions are just that; and everybody's entitled to one, and they should be allowed to express it on this forum without fear.

If you feel little or abused, or see anyone else being made to feel little or abused, the option is there to complain to the moderators each time.

Thank you, Evan. Admittedly, I'm feeling a little fragile this morning :eek:

I guess I wouldn't use the word "ridiculous" unless I was on the attack ... to me that's a very emotive word. And I felt that you were implying that there is no educational content in such seminars ("these seminars aren't about education, they are about making the presenters money" - does it have to be either/or?), and therefore that people going to them are paying out money for no education in return, and only an idiot would do that, ergo: I must be an idiot. And I don't consider myself an idiot.

Anyway, I accept that you weren't intending to be rude, and that I read an awful lot into your comment :D and I apologise for my oversensitivity. :eek:

Have a great day! :)

Yes, in hindsight 'ridiculous' was too strong a word. Lets say in my opinion it isn't a valid analogy.

Further, i can tell from your posts you're no idiot and quite educated.

And yes it can be both. Presenters making money and attendees getting educated aren't mutually exclusive. Its just that IMO seminars are primarily about the presenters making lots of money with information that is available elsewhere for free or very little cost.

SkiBunny, I've been to Dymphna's seminars and I've told you what I think and why.

Tracey, you make a great contribution to this forum and I generally find your posts thoughtful and insightful.

However, your defense of Dymphna seems way over the top to me. It makes me wonder if she is a relative, close friend, or perhaps you had some involvement in WWW? Of course none of these may be true but it seems there is some strong attachment there that causes you to defend her so strongly.

Personally, I've thought about going to her upcoming seminar. I realise that it will be a big sell for her big gig but also thought that it's on $97 dollars. The old "if you only learn one thing..." started ringing in my head. I now think that this is more the mantra of seminar guru's rather than reality. The last Investors Direct thing I went to was big on sales but low on info. I'm very dubious now of paying even $97 for the privilege or having someone sell me their services.

EC

All the gurus use "if you only pick up one idea that can make you millions" line.

The point is, there are no secrets that you can pick up. There is no one valuable thing that isn't known already.

For eg, lets use the 'secret' of vendor financing, part or full.

Vendor financing is very, very rare. And if you do find someone offering it, its usually not a strategy for beginners, as most the seminar attendees are.

Its an advanced strategy.

Dymphna likes to say: "you aren't looking for a property, you're looking for a deal" How many real deals are there? Hardly any.

Not many vendors are silly enough to offer deals to buyers. Where does a beginner find a deal?

I could go on and on. There are no secrets, just common sense, hard work and knowledge.

Back