Dymphna Boholt Seminar Syd 17/2 + Terry Ryder

SkiBunny

I'd personally be looking for land content rather than an apartment. Land appreciates, while buildings depreciate.

Yes, in hindsight 'ridiculous' was too strong a word. Lets say in my opinion it isn't a valid analogy.

Contestability of opinions is what makes this forum so valuable, specially when you think of what is at stake - getting into investing is much easier than getting knocked out.

I'll be interested to hear next monday from those went to the seminar and if Dymphna delivered the goods, such as replacing your income within 18 months,
and numerous over-the-top claims in the over-the-top advertising pamphlet.

Thanks Ethan

Thats a classic sales letter format. She has paid a copywriter a few thousand dollars for that. I'll have a read when i have some time, its a long one.

Check this blooper from the copy:

"Real estate is supposed to make you rich, right? Yet so many people are investing in real estate and don’t even know that their system and methodology is seriously floored"

I'm going to the seminar this Sunday ... heard Dymphna speak at another
seminar and agree with Tracey ...she knew what she was talking about.
Another friend (ready to buy her 6th property) is going as well.
At $97 ...think the cost of education is cheaper than the cost of ignorance. I'm looking to buy my 4th IP this year and if there's something useful that I can come away with, it will be a day well spent.

PS : The copywriter who did her advertising spiel did need to check his spellings !!

"Real estate is supposed to make you rich, right? Yet so many people are investing in real estate and don’t even know that their system and methodology is seriously floored"

It just occurred to me that when you you're doing a construction project or reno then you actually want the thing to be seriously floored! I certainly wouldn't want any laughter as the floorboards are being nailed down :D

Ethann

Ok all ... for want of anything better to do this fine Friday morning... let's play spot the spelling errors in Dymphna's letter, shall we !! LOL

I don't know about spelling errors but this part of the sales letter is called forward pacing . Its to get the reader to imagine what their life will be like after they have actioned whatever you want them to do in the sales letter.

In this case, its go to the seminar and get all the 'secrets'

But this forward pacing is very American in its style of copy writing. Its dead set ridiculous, who would believe this stuff:

Imagine This For A Moment...

You get up in the morning, and stroll from your breakfast table to your study, where you check the Internet to see what’s happening in the property market today.

You see a nice little duplex that you can make a quick capital gain of $25,000 profit and get it to return 9.56% net instantly (with one of your little known secrets. You’re cash flow positive by about $125 per week (you’ve been doing this for years now, buying cash flow positive properties and it annoys the heck out of your friends, mainly because they still don’t understand how you do it.)

You check your messages and a couple of real estate agents have left their number so you can call them back urgently. They’ve got a couple of deals for you that they reckon you’ll love. (With a cute grin on your face you can still remember the days when you would call them and they wouldn’t even return your phone call-and now they’re calling you with hot deals weekly, sometimes daily. Another one of your little secrets.)

"Your phone rings and guess what? It’s your accountant ringing you to congratulate on your refund cheque you’ve got from the ATO, (he can’t believe it). The recommendations that you suggested has allowed you to pay on average only 17% tax on your complete earning. You smile and think...”Hum better than the 48.5% I used to pay.” He also wants you to email him the details of that even that you attended where you learnt all these new and exciting strategies.

OOPS there’s another email to check. This one is from your travel agent. Your 10 day cruise through the Caribbean has been booked. And to think it didn’t cost you a cent out of your own pocket. It was all paid for thanks to your property portfolio, which generates $3,800 profit for you each week (yet, you’ll never ever have to pay capital gain tax, a little secret you learnt at a “certain event” and you think you’ll buy another 5 properties this year). I hear the cocktails are sensational on the cruise."

It seems ridiculous (to me, anyway) that people think you can achieve this sort of lifestyle without a LOT of time and hard work. A seminar won't do it.

However, I use this technique personally. In that I imagine my goal, and then decide what skills and resources I need, then I develop a plan to get those skills and resources.

Seminar presenters just cut out the 'hard work' part.
Alex

Most marketing does Alex. Good advertising/marketing doesn't sell the product/service, it sells the benefits of having/using it.

Its called selling benefits not features. But sometimes it gets to silly levels. Does anyone believe that stuff.

It seems ridiculous (to me, anyway) that people think you can achieve this sort of lifestyle without a LOT of time and hard work. A seminar won't do it.

However, I use this technique personally. In that I imagine my goal, and then decide what skills and resources I need, then I develop a plan to get those skills and resources.

Seminar presenters just cut out the 'hard work' part.
Alex

Most marketing does Alex. Good advertising/marketing doesn't sell the product/service, it sells the benefits of having/using it.

Its called selling benefits not features. But sometimes it gets to silly levels. Does anyone believe that stuff.

The best advertising makes you WANT to believe. It works, because most people want to believe.
Alex

I actually think that this type of advertising might work because there is so much of it out there on the Internet. Sure all the bonus stuff is junk and the we don't consciously believe that this seminar normally sells for $800 when we can get it for $80. But unconsiously?

Kind of like infomercials - I don't believe rationally that I can get the six-pack abs of a 20yo in only 8 minutes per day (can't be < 8 - remember the hitchhiker in Something about Mary!). But the thing is to get an emotive instant purchase - to take action right away.

The best advertising makes you WANT to believe. It works, because most people want to believe.
Alex

Couldn't agree with you more. I believe that people generally believe what they want to believe. Which means there's a good chance that for some reason I want to believe this :confused:

Consider some alternatives:

A) You can attract massive wealth by using the law of attraction. Just focus on what you want and the universe will provide all.

or

B) Spend one day and $97 and you will learn the secrets that will enable you to retire within 3 years.

or

C) Creating wealth takes quite a long time and requires hard work, dedication and sacrifice. There is risk involved and you could end up losing money.

People gobble up A and B but for some reason you don't see much advertising along the lines of C.

But this forward pacing is very American in its style of copy writing. Its dead set ridiculous, who would believe this stuff:

Imagine This For A Moment...

Depends on the audience really. I'd have thought it would be better to paint a picture closer to home, like your wife stopping working, going back to 3 days a week, going interstate on a holiday instead of a caravan part etc etc.
I would have thought this was closer to her audience.

Yes, you're on the ball. Infomercials are exactly the same type of hypey American marketing but its verbal instead of written. If you were to transcribe an infomercial ad, it would look very similar to the sales letter.

They get you to act straight away with a tactic called scarcity.

"Meaning you save $700 on the normal tuition fee. These will be given away on a first-come, first-served basis. Once they’re gone, the price goes back to $797. Not as good as $97, but a pretty good deal anyway"

This ones called risk reversal:

"With My 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

It’s called my... “Iron Clad, No Weasel Out, No Fine Print, 10 Times Value, Better-Than-Risk-Free Money Back Guarantee”

How does this work? You can attend the event, where I want you to make a fair and reasonable assessment of whether it will work for you. AFTER ALL, WHO’S THE BEST PERSON TO TELL ME WHETHER THIS WILL WORK FOR YOU?... YOU ARE OF COURSE!"

They are all very standard components of a sales letter and all step - by - step get you to sign up.

The idea is remove all the objections and add the incentives one by one until it seems silly not to.

The only thing i can see missing are testimonials (social proof) which are yet another standard feature of these things.

Kind of like infomercials - I don't believe rationally that I can get the six-pack abs of a 20yo in only 8 minutes per day (can't be < 8 - remember the hitchhiker in Something about Mary!). But the thing is to get an emotive instant purchase - to take action right away.

Thanks again to all. Oasis1frog (interesting name!), I will indeed report back after the weekend.

Personally I hate all the American style advertising and ''just wait there's more' promises. Why do so many Aussies use it now when 99.9% of us hate it??

Evand, I thought the 'seriously floored' bit may have been a freudian slip! "I'll be seriously floored if you actually believe this dribble!" : )

Yes Alex, I know there is lots of effort and time involved in making money, and Tubs, thanks for the advice to stick to houses. That is what I am most comfortable with. No messing with body corporates etc.

Have a great weekend all and I'll report back next week.

Jan

Back