Early retirement without a fortune

*snip*
Retiring early is a lot easier if you don't have kids or aren't hung up on their place of education.
Which I do - both a blessing and a curse! :D
Why is it a challenge and are there ways you can speed it up?
I stopped working at 36yo but still had debt to service which ate into my cashflow and lifestyle so I made the decision to sell a flagship IP and pay off all my debt. This allowed me to live off the rent from the remaining 3 IP's. It's always tough to sell an IP but if it benefits you then you have to remind yourself this is the reason why you're investing. Remember the end game which will help you focus on where you want to go.

THIS! (Except the living off rent part - wouldn't quite be there.) And would only pay off the PPOR debt, which would still be a great place to be.

On the other side of the coin - asian schools workload is 10 times harder and more than australian schools. So majority of students who do come from asian schooling and spend their few years in high school and uni find it no issues to completing their studies unless you take into account other issues of alcohol and partying

Good points. And competion for entry into uni's is a big driver for better results.
If you have 10,000 students competing for 1 seat at a uni VS
1,000 students for a seat - guess where the students need to work harder?

This is the difference between education in Aus and in Asia.

Good points. And competion for entry into uni's is a big driver for better results.
If you have 10,000 students competing for 1 seat at a uni VS
1,000 students for a seat - guess where the students need to work harder?

This is the difference between education in Aus and in Asia.

So where in Asia are we talking about here?

Working harder to memorise lots of facts is not the same as learning how to learn (not a typo), or learning how to solve problems.

I know, I know, everyone here (but me) hates Today Tonight :D

Since you probably didn't see it (or will own up to it)
you missed a great segment.
Feeding your family lots of great food...fruits and veggies ..etc
for about $50 week

Here's the link
http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/consumer/article/-/15541364/weeks-family-feed-for-50/

Here is a snippet: "The aim is to keep every family member happy and healthier for less.

Putting even the most basic of food items on the table has become a daily struggle for a growing number of families and it's often thought that to eat healthy food is more expensive.

But nutritionist Sally Boyer and her husband Derek - the world's strongest man over 40 and a former Gladiator - have come to the rescue with an e-book titled 'How to Feed a Family of Four on $50 a Week'.

"There is a misconception out there that it costs a lot to eat healthy, but we're proving that you can eat healthily on a budget," Sally said.

Sally and Derek's book was born out of concern for a client who had a dilemma.

"She was spending (money) on frozen meat pies and two minute noodles. I was really concerned but understood there were many families out there in the same situation, so I made a promise to her to come up with a solution," Sally said."

We eat healthily on a food budget of $50 per week, although we probably average about $60. Mainly by avoiding processed foods and buying fruit and veg in season. also having a big freezer helps.

We eat healthily on a food budget of $50 per week, although we probably average about $60. Mainly by avoiding processed foods and buying fruit and veg in season. also having a big freezer helps.

Great to hear.
On the show, they give the example of buying turkey drumsticks for 99c kg.
We have purchased them previously, and there is a massive amount of meat on those things. Only needed one to make big pot of stew ...yumm

I'm trying to "train" my family to eat more economically, down from $250 a week for three of us :eek:. It's the last bastion of frivolous spending in my household, entrenched from years of no food budget restrictions and hedonic adaption to such spoils.

Even though I could afford to spend on food at the same level in my impending early retirement, it is a gross waste of money and just serves to make us fatter than we need to be. Biggest changes I will make are: more fruit and veges, less meat, dessert is an occasional treat not a nightly right, no food from the chips/lollies isle whatsoever, weekly not two-daily food shop, and avoid processed food. I might even invest in a big freezer to take advantage of bulk food purchase savings. :D

Our kids are 2 and 5 months, so it helps that they don’t know what lollies, chips, pop tarts are yet. We eat rice at least twice a day, which works out fairly cheap when bought in bulk. Took a little getting used to but our breakfast consists of rice, miso soup and generally some kind of marinated radish, seaweed and carrot thing (wife’s recipe). Don’t think i could go back to wheet-bix now :)

So where in Asia are we talking about here?

Good q :D

India, China, Malaysia, Singapore - was what I had in mind.
They seem to be churning out more engineers and doctors than the developed countries.

Competition and a high regard for education is a key driver of the quality of graduates that come out of uni’s.

Thank god I was raised and educated in Australia. This gave me the tools and the confidence to solve problems on my own and ask for help when I get stuck and most importantly, learn from my mistakes… unlike my Asian coworkers that take on work they can’t do (because they cant say no) and then sit in a corner quietly for days and then everything falls over… no offense to anybody, just my experience as an expat

Our kids are 2 and 5 months, so it helps that they don’t know what lollies, chips, pop tarts are yet. We eat rice at least twice a day, which works out fairly cheap when bought in bulk. Took a little getting used to but our breakfast consists of rice, miso soup and generally some kind of marinated radish, seaweed and carrot thing (wife’s recipe). Don’t think i could go back to wheet-bix now :)

Is this healthy? I hope you are getting enough iron and other essential vitamins and minerals.

Thank god I was raised and educated in Australia. This gave me the tools and the confidence to solve problems on my own and ask for help when I get stuck and most importantly, learn from my mistakes… unlike my Asian coworkers that take on work they can’t do (because they cant say no) and then sit in a corner quietly for days and then everything falls over… no offense to anybody, just my experience as an expat

That's because most Asian young people continue living at home with their folks until they are mid-30s. Many reasons for this, culturally it is acceptable/encouraged, but also in terms of housing affordability it is just simply unfeasible to move out as house prices / wage ratios are simply astronomical. The trend for Australian-born Asians is similar but not as pronounced due to the different upbringing here.

It's strange, but when I shop, I find fruit and veges more expensive than meat.... :confused:

Best place to buy fruit and veg is at the local markets like Victoria Market. Meat is also cheaper there somewhat but the quality isn't as good as your Safeway/Coles as they expire much faster.

Is this healthy? I hope you are getting enough iron and other essential vitamins and minerals.

Sound like pretty standard Japanese brekky to me.

Should make you own pickles without nitrates/nitrites tho - the package stuff might be what was causing Japan to have the one of the highest incidents of stomach cancer.

The miso soup if done properly is a brilliant nutitional source.

If more proteins the go, then nome natto and raw egg, a drop of soy and mustard.... droool..... (I am told only a Japanese palate can love this stuff.... ) :D

Iron? In the katsuo-bushi / kezuri-bushi (dried bonito) that should be used in the stock for the miso soup. :)

The Y-man

Best place to buy fruit and veg is at the local markets like Victoria Market. Meat is also cheaper there somewhat but the quality isn't as good as your Safeway/Coles as they expire much faster.

Oh yeah, forgot to say I only buy certified organic (or biodynamic if available). The vic market has an ok selection for organic vegies, but the coles and woolie brands are actually now getting very competitive in pricing (especially if I start putting travel km into the equation etc :) ).

The Y-man

If more proteins the go, then nome natto and raw egg, a drop of soy and mustard.... droool..... (I am told only a Japanese palate can love this stuff.... ) :D

The Y-man

I consider natto to be the Japanese equivalent to Vegemite. One either loves it or hate it, but to love it you would have to be Japanese. Me I can’t stand the smell of the stuff.

Back on topic..

Four years ago this guy sold everything he owned on ebay for £192,000 after his wife left him. Since then he has ticked off 93 out of 100 things on his bucket list including diving with sharks, learning French, meeting Richard Branson, learning how to fly a plane and scoring a bit part in a Hollywood movie.

I've read up about this guy and apparently he decided on Panama because its one of the cheapest places in the world to live.

In my eyes this guy is living the dream.

Ian-Usher-sold-life-eBay-wife-left-buys-Caribbean-island-AND-finds-love-again.html

He said: ‘I think a couple of standout ones were swimming with a mother humpback whale and her calf in Japan, and riding a motorbike on the Wall of Death. My week in Pamplona in Spain was fantastic, and terrifying too, running with the bulls there.’

The wish-list also included ‘flying a plane solo, seeing the red crabs at Christmas Island . . . I could go on. It was an incredible two years’.

Along the way he founded an online network for others who, like him, feel they have been ‘blindsided’ by life. He blogged about his adventures and has self-published his book A Life Sold – another goal checked off the list.

Before his money ran out he bought an idyllic 2.2-acre island off the coast of Panama, believed to have cost around £30,000, where he is building himself a home.

article-2127774-1289B489000005DC-743_634x471.jpg

Back