earning extra $

Has anyone thought about starting a commercial cleaning business ?
Independent or franchise ? I have been researching ways to increase income…in theory I like this because

a. Low entry cost…if a franchise its from 5k to 15K startup cost + insurance + legals ..some franchises provide clients

b. Can still keep my day job and do this after hours /or hire someone when I can afford to..

c. Seems a stable industry

Any thoughts + or -

How can you ever compete with overseas students who work illegally?

I would invest that time and energy in yourself and get a better job. Or.. How about teaching privately or at tafe?

Has anyone thought about starting a commercial cleaning business ?
Independent or franchise ? I have been researching ways to increase income…in theory I like this because

a. Low entry cost…if a franchise its from 5k to 15K startup cost + insurance + legals ..some franchises provide clients

b. Can still keep my day job and do this after hours /or hire someone when I can afford to..

c. Seems a stable industry

Any thoughts + or -

Had a client about a year ago, franchise that earnt him ~$100k. Cost him about $20k p.a

Can't remember the hours he worked though, from memory they were pretty late.

Another staff member had a cleaning business, tried sub-contracting the jobs... but as above got out priced.

Cleaning business is good if you do not have any other skills

My son run cleaning business for two years, while he was studying. He was running like a headless chook:D. Last year he completed his diploma and gave up & closed cleaning business.
He is happy now.

Many lifetimes a go, when I was doing admin,

The office I was in, really smal, probably four offices in total, would pay 35 to get the entire office including toilet cleaned

And when they came, there was anywhere between two and four immigrant looking people come in and finish the job in 30 to 45 mins

How on earth the owner made any profit is a complete mystery to me even to this day

We looked into doing outside cleaning , driveways and paths. It looked good but then the Qld Govt banned all outdoors house cleaning because of the drought.

Best friends family runs a setup like this. Great money, crap hours.

Hard to find good, reliable staff and the hours aren't the sort you can do around a professional job.

Best friends family runs a setup like this. Great money, crap hours.

Hard to find good, reliable staff and the hours aren't the sort you can do around a professional job.

Really ? Great money???

How does one even break even?? I'm genuinely curious

I read an article about a new immigrant who lived in Auburn, NSW with little skills.

He started a cleaning business, and printed a heap of pamphlets and delivered them all over the Easten suburbs advertising his business. In a short amount of time he had lots of work and was employing others. He used to drive his workers to work each day.

Seems like a possibility, but would be hard to juggle with another job. Perhaps could fit it in during study pretty easily...

Really ? Great money???

How does one even break even?? I'm genuinely curious

commercial cleaning.

I know a person who won three contracts for three high rise offices. Makes 200k+ a year and just manages the staff and supplies.

Residential cleaning wouldn't be that great, unless you score a good deal on exit rental cleans or crime scene.

How can you ever compete with overseas students who work illegally?

I would invest that time and energy in yourself and get a better job. Or.. How about teaching privately or at tafe?

actually...I am not a expert at any thing that is hot in the market to be able to teach at a TAFE/or institution :eek:
all the tools/software i was good at, has now become obsolete..so i have moved onto a more generalist role within my field..
i could get a better paying job..but am not motivated to stay in my current field i.e IT

commercial cleaning.

I know a person who won three contracts for three high rise offices. Makes 200k+ a year and just manages the staff and supplies.

Residential cleaning wouldn't be that great, unless you score a good deal on exit rental cleans or crime scene.

Yes, my mates family is in commercial cleaning.

2 days a week morning shift is a $30k contract. It's not as 'lay back' as it sounds though, my mates mum really has to put in some hard hours to make it pan out, and staff turnover is really high. The money was in the $200k mark overall, now it is in the sub $100k mark as she has been selling her property portfolio and is getting ready for 'retirement'.

*edit* she has a mining engineering degree mind you, just makes more money doing this.

*edit* she has a mining engineering degree mind you, just makes more money doing this.

ummm $200k overall (do I asume this is turnover or gross profit?) either way if she is a mining engineer she should be on at least that in town - or nearly double it if she only wants to work 6months of the year as FIFO.

:rolleyes:

Blacky

ummm $200k overall (do I asume this is turnover or gross profit?) either way if she is a mining engineer she should be on at least that in town - or nearly double it if she only wants to work 6months of the year as FIFO.

Blacky

LOL dont know were you get your figures from , but there a long way off! :rolleyes:

I’m always looking for options to increase my income while working... have looked into allot of different things. Still haven’t found something worth the effort yet...

A great one was a Christmas decoration business, old couple had ran it for around 30 years from there shed and had contracts with Westfield. Every Christmas they would just arrange to have the decorations put up at night when the store was closed... Its surprising how much people pay for Christmas decorations!!!

I am now conducting market survey ..also writing sort of a business plan..
After some research ..i am focusing on strata & small office cleaning only.

and most interviews (office door to door ) i find that they are serviced by the owners corp or the commercial REA who manages that property...so now i plan to contact the local commercial prop managers .

Can anyone suggest what can be my differentiating point to get a break ? can only think of price at the moment..

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

Blacky

400k a year on 2:2 as an engineer, pull the other one mate! :p

Back