eBook readers

The recipient of this (proposed) gift doesn't own or use computers or mobile phones.

I have to work through the manuals of all new devices with her. (More than once, but I love her:D)

The Kindle is ultra-easy. If you have wireless at home, I dont think you need to spend the extra money to get 3G. I keep the wireless turned off generally, cause it uses up more battery, and I'm worried that I might accidently buy a book I dont want, cause it really is a couple of clicks to buy/download books.

We buy books every couple of weeks, or before a business trip, and have a little stash there that we can read. But for general use, all you need to know is how to turn it on and how to turn pages. If there is more than one person using it, we have learned to put bookmarks into books, so we can work out where each of us is up to if reading the same book. (my daughter and I fight over it). If only one person using it, it comes straight back to the page where you were up to.

Now we have more books downloaded, I've found it helpful to make "groups" of books, so we can find them more easily. It takes 2 clicks to do that. So, everything is really easy and straightforward. There are no "extras" for confusion.

If you have wireless at home, I dont think you need to spend the extra money to get 3G.
I'm computer literate and our son is a geek so no problem getting stuff downloaded. We will have trouble getting her to search for what she would like to read though.

I'm computer literate and our son is a geek so no problem getting stuff downloaded. We will have trouble getting her to search for what she would like to read though.

She can do it all on the Kindle. If she knows the book already, she can enter the authors name or title, then you just click on that, click on buy and it downloads automatically, within a minute or so. If not, you can go to the style of book (crime, autobio etc) and then you will get lots of choices, and you do the same process.

I tend to just buy trashy crime novels, so I'm working my way through the .99c books! If it turns out to be a dud, then its no problem. you can also download free "samples" if you want to see if its really something you want to read.

But if you buy something by mistake, you can very easily reverse the process and get a credit. I dont know what the time limit is to do that, but I've had to do it several times, because the buying process is so easy.

Alternatively, you can search and buy online and then it download next time you turn the Kindle on. I've found buying direct from the Kindle easier though.

Can you tell that I like it!! :eek:

Another vote for Kindle. I take a long time to adjust to new technology and was hesitant about throwing away the books and reading from an e-reader, but after hearing all the good reviews on them, decided to give it a go. I love it.

As others have said, the display is very easy on the eyes, just like reading a real book, the font can be adjusted and it's light and comfortable to hold. I paid the little extra for the Wi Fi plus 3G, so am able to browse and/or download books just about anywhere, anytime. I have nothing negative to say about it, I think they're great!

This is another reason I like the.....iPad. Yes I said the "i" word.....:p

Searching for books is very simply done on the device, it is intuitive, has a graphic interface and your books are kept on a virtual bookshelf!

I've played with the dedicated e-readers, and for just reading novels they are really good, but not much chop for anything else. I far prefer the "iPad thingy" as it provide a better overall experience from search to download to storage.... :D

I've played with the dedicated e-readers, and for just reading novels they are really good, but not much chop for anything else.

I think that is really the key decision making point btw e-readers and i-pad or similar.
If you want to do more than just reading, definitely go for i-pad or similar.
But if you just want to read novels, why spend all the extra money for stuff you won't use.

^ I bought both because there's a lot of stuff the Galaxy tab can do that the kindle won't do like internet banking. But i bought the kindle for reading books as it's far superior as ppl have mentioned due to no backlight which causes eye strain.

Here's India's version of the iPad:
Enter-Adam-the-iPad-killer-made-in-India

I think the kindle fire is too small to use as a web browser at 7" ... may as well use a smartphone which also has limited screen real estate. The Galaxy 10.1 is still the superior tablet in my opinion.
KINDLE-FIRE-VS-IPAD-VS-GALAXY-TAB-101.jpg

With the kindle, e-reader etc what would happen if the device was lost? Would all the books on it be lost aswell or is what you purchased backed up on a database so if you get another reader the books can be downloaded again at no extra cost?

All of the books are stored in the amazon cloud. So if you lost the device or upgraded to a new device it would simply be a matter of logging in again on the new device with your username and password. Once you had logged in your purchases would appear in an archive folder on the kindle and you would click on them and they would download and be available

I don't have a Kindle (yet), but have been playing with the app on a smartphone and PC. I'm leaning towards getting a tablet, probably one of the Android devices.

The Sony Tablet P is probably the frontrunner at present, as it's compact when folded. I need to see if it can autorotate in all apps, if so set the Kindle app to run in two column mode, and have one on each screen.

I need to experiment...

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is a neat device. I'm not sure if they're going to be available because Apple seem to be banning them everywhere, but they have the same resolution and hardware as the 10" models, just in a smaller form factor. The 7" tab, which is slightly smaller, has a lower resolution screen so might not be so good.

The Galaxy Note is a smartphone on steroids. Apparently people are buying them to replace a phone and a tablet. But it's getting to be a bit too big to be pocketable. It's got the same screen resolution as the big tablets.

I bought a kindle for my wife a couple of months ago and its a fantastic device I really like reading on it now Im getting my own for Christmas its a great little device you charge it maybe once a month its simple to use and most importantly great to read on.

The thing to remember is the kindle and other dedicated ereaders are just that they are made to read books not do cross words surf the net, watch videos etc etc. If you want a device to do that stuff buy and ipad or something else but it wont be as good for reading as a dedicated e-ink device.

Friends of ours have two girls who love reading and music. When one said she wanted a reader her sister looked at her in distain "How could you read and pass up the enjoyment of turning the page!"

Nice to know that not all our youth are going to the dogs. :)

Just got a Kindle.
I'm pretty far behind with new electronic technology, but this thing is so simple to use.
Got the large screen DX, as I plan on doing alot of reading this year and it looks like just the tool I needed.
Registering with Amazon is too simple and got first book already, instantly downloaded to the device, no wires, reformatting or transfers required.

Very impressed and highly recommend to those thinking about getting one.

After wanting an ereader myself years ago when they first came out I finally bit the bullet and bought myself one for Christmas as I had a week ahead of me playing the patient wife while the other half fished. I got a refurbished kindle with keyboard from big w for $99.

My first concern buying it was the dedicated file type kindle uses so if I decide to get another brand down the track it won't be able to use the books I already purchased but there's a free program that converts kindle file type to standard and vice versa. So with that knowledge I was happy to get the kindle.

The only other issue for me is it's too easy to buy books! Seriously though, I'm stoked with it. So easy to use and read. I also have the amazon ap on my phone and I opened up the book I was reading and it opened on the page I was up to! I now just have to find a case for it.

Back