eBook readers

Same here just got the refurbished one from BigW recently and am loving it, despite years of being skeptical and preferring the paper based books. My work allows me access to download ebooks from Safari Online so it's saving me money :).

I'm another fan of the Kindle and my only suggested improvement would be the ability to increase or decrease the screen brightness but as it is electronic ink this is probably not possible.

That said, when reading by the pool in bright sunlight it is awesome.

Both my sister and i like them so much she bought mum one for her birthday as it is so much easier to get around and work out than an Ipad for older people who may not be technologically minded - and it is about 1/4 the price.

I'm another fan of the Kindle and my only suggested improvement would be the ability to increase or decrease the screen brightness but as it is electronic ink this is probably not possible.

This is also the very first thing I was looking for as soon as I got it.
I assumed there would be some little buttons on the side to adjust "brightness", but no.
Then I searched the whole guide and still no mention to adjust brightness, contrast, etc.
I suppose that how it is considering it's not LCD, but rather electronic ink which doesn't hurt and strain your eyes.

I'm quite comfortable reading on iPhone, but the Kindle would have a big advantage for me.

If I'm on the iPhone I an easily get into trouble because MrsW doesn't know what I'm doing- I could be chatting up a pretty young blonde thing for all she knows. On a Kindle, I would just be reading.

I received a Kindle for Christmas as did the FIL, apparently you can have up to six (6) people on the account in order to share book titles (I guess I now need to find someone with a lot of books on their account :D).

One of the books I purchased online to read over the festive season was only 0.99c, so a great price

Geoff- The FIL has the newer version and apparently you can chat with a hot young blonde (if you know one) amongst other things ;)

with the Kindle, is it possible to set up an account, rather than paying for each individual book, particularly when they are 99c!? I'm not sure if I end up paying more on the credit card when I have lots of transactions, but it would be more convenient for me to buy a few books at once and have one credit card transaction.

with the Kindle, is it possible to set up an account, rather than paying for each individual book, particularly when they are 99c!? I'm not sure if I end up paying more on the credit card when I have lots of transactions, but it would be more convenient for me to buy a few books at once and have one credit card transaction.

You set up an account with Amazon, the ebooks download amazingly fast even on a slow server. You can then review your purchase in your media file, share ebooks and Amazon will offer suggested titles of interest

Note, not all books are 99c ;)

You pay for each book as you download them. AFAIK you can't have a monthly account that you pay once per month. It shouldn't cost you any extra by using your credit card for either 10 x $10 transactions per month or just 1 x $100 transaction.

Lending Kindle Books

Did you know that on kindle you can actually "loan" your books?

Lending Kindle Books

Kindle books can be loaned to another reader for a period of 14 days. The borrower does not need to own a Kindle -- Kindle books can also be read using our free Kindle reading applications for PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Android devices. Not all books are lendable -- it is up to the publisher or rights holder to determine which titles are eligible for lending. The lender will not be able to read the book during the loan period. Books can only be loaned once, and subscription content is not currently available for lending.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

My mum loves her Kindle.

I am happy to use the iPad Kindle app. Every day :)

In order to read my ebooks, I just use my good ol' laptop. Once in a while, I also use my iPad - but I simply use the iBooks app. I prefer this because I have PDF ebooks, and I don't like how the Kindle only lets you read ebooks that are in their particular format (that's from what I've heard from my friends who own a Kindle, although I may be wrong).

In order to read my ebooks, I just use my good ol' laptop. Once in a while, I also use my iPad - but I simply use the iBooks app.

You can't compare a e-reader screen with an IPad or even a laptop. They have different purposes. The eye gets tired faster with the ipad/laptop screen.

I prefer this because I have PDF ebooks, and I don't like how the Kindle only lets you read ebooks that are in their particular format (that's from what I've heard from my friends who own a Kindle, although I may be wrong).

I don't think this is an issue with the Kindle anymore, but this was the main reason I bought a Sony e-reader instead about 3 years ago. Can use it with PDF easily. love it.

Back