Eeek! I'm not covered for flood....in Bris...help?!?

I called my insurance companies today to ensure all my policies were current only to find out sorry we don´t cover floods in QLD, I have just learnt from an insurance broker that the only company that covers flood in QLD is suncorp/vero. Too late now to insure with them though.

Checked in with all my PM´s today and all my properties are ok for now, not in affected areas although sunshine coast has seen a lot of rain and the PM´s office had flooded slightly. When I called her she was barefoot in water in the office moving all the computer equipment to another room.

One thing the NRMA rep said when I called was that I am not covered for flood, they only cover for floods in NSW not QLD and the only way I would be covered is if the flood is deemed a national disaster.

Good news all your properties are ok, karina :)

I guess Suncorp will be getting a whole lotta new business from the likes of you & me over the next few months.

I'm having issues with both my IP's at the moment which are here safely in Melbourne and was having a small 'this is too stressful' moment, but reading this thread has put my relatively tiny issues into perspective. The thought of having a property in those flood zones with no insurance cover would be terrible. I hope all your properties up there are ok. It's such a huge disaster and shocking just to watch on TV, and the loss of life is very tragic. :(

Bit worried about the Body Corp insurance. I'm with Suncorp who automatically cover floods so the walls, carpet etc would be fine (and its on the 2nd floor). BUT I don't recall seeing Suncorp listed as the insurer for the actual building. How much damage can be done to a 70's brick unit block do you think?

I was just checking the map for my Auchenflower IP. The street slopes, and it looks to me like the river is on the high side (ie it will get flooded). Am I right on that?
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=21+Fortitude+St,+Auchenflower+QLD&sll=-25.335448,135.745076&sspn=54.035453,76.552734&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=21+Fortitude+St,+Auchenflower+Queensland+4066&ll=-27.476303,153.000562&spn=0.006673,0.009345&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=-27.475582,152.999393&panoid=pyLi1m8wUDIdPLp-xuI3QQ&cbp=12,57.31,,0,5.05

Just checked the flood maps from links in another thread & we're currently surrounded by water. My street is one of about 2 still not underwater in Milton.

Gosh, it feels like I'm watching the tsunami footage from thailand all over again.

What's happenning to our beautiful country? Have we screwed with mother nature so much that we've done this to ourselves?

Hoping no more loss of life, so sad to hear children have died & others have lost everything :(

Last edited:
National Disaster area!

I now live in Nanango in the South Burnett. I have just read that we are now covered by the national disaster.
We have most of our furniture in a storage shed just out of town, and the flood waters have apparently gone through the shed, probably a few foot worth at least!
I rang about contents insurance but we are not covered as it is not in the house...
Does anyone know if we can claim under the national disaster thingie??
there was a lot of expensive stuff in that shed, and I am very upset at it's loss.

ps. if this had only waited a week, it would have all been out and in the new house we will settle on Thursday!

Any advise guys???

I now live in Nanango in the South Burnett. I have just read that we are now covered by the national disaster.
We have most of our furniture in a storage shed just out of town, and the flood waters have apparently gone through the shed, probably a few foot worth at least!
I rang about contents insurance but we are not covered as it is not in the house...
Does anyone know if we can claim under the national disaster thingie??
there was a lot of expensive stuff in that shed, and I am very upset at it's loss.

ps. if this had only waited a week, it would have all been out and in the new house we will settle on Thursday!

Any advise guys???

(1) If you chose not to take flood cover, it won't matter where the stuff is.
(2) If you do have flood cover, check if your policy has a section called "contents temporarily removed" or similar. You may have some luck there, but note the word "temporarily" generally means no more than 90 days.
(3) I'm not sure the "natural disaster thingy" is intended to turn the government into the insurer of last resort. Providing assistance to people in the emergency, yes; getting on with rebuilding infrastructure, absolutely; reinmbursing people for insurable losses they have elected not to cover themselves for, I would hope not.

Just checked the flood maps from links in another thread & we're currently surrounded by water. My street is one of about 2 still not underwater in Milton.

I went to work this morning, only to find out... no work. Park Road is fine, there's a bunch of places on the other side near the brewery that are half under water, but your place is fine.

Gosh, it feels like I'm watching the tsunami footage from thailand all over again.

What's happenning to our beautiful country? Have we screwed with mother nature so much that we've done this to ourselves?

Hoping no more loss of life, so sad to hear children have died & others have lost everything :(
it may have been pointed out in another thread but flood maps (i think based on the 74 floods) is available on the brisbane city council site. gordon st is not listed as flood prone.

it may have been pointed out in another thread but flood maps (i think based on the 74 floods) is available on the brisbane city council site. gordon st is not listed as flood prone.
It's generally fine, there are some lower parts of the street however, and some of the commercial in Douglas St (behind Gordon) have flooding to the basement level today. The McDonalds at Milton and that area has some flooding.

Attachments

• McDonalds.jpg
    McDonalds.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 104
So what happens to IP's when they are inundated with mud and uninhabitable?

Are tenants still expected to pay their rent?

Are LL expected to clean up?

Are tenants expected to clean up?

Hi Amadio,

Was thinking the same thing today.

It's not their fault that it happenned & then neither is it our fault. We would be happy if they advised they had to pay late (I guess that's almost a best case scenario).

But perhaps they've had to pay for hotel accom...so why should they have to pay rent also?

I guess b/c mine's fully furnished, I would expect the onus would be on me to clean up for them? I'd be happy to cover the cost if they cleaned or to get professional cleaners in for them.

It's a tricky & emotive subject, but I'd be interested what others' views were?

Thanks Amadio!

That's great info & just what we needed to shed some light on where we all go from here both for tenants & landlords.

(So Mark Laszczuk....if my tenants decide they wanna break their lease due to this, there may be a vacant apartment within walking distance of your work for you in the near future :D !!!)
It's a great location, wouldn't mind living in that street myself :)

(So Mark Laszczuk....if my tenants decide they wanna break their lease due to this, there may be a vacant apartment within walking distance of your work for you in the near future :D !!!)

.... but you gotta clean the mud out of the wall cavities first :p:D.

Back