Electricity, Gas & Phone line on settlement

Hi all,

I'm lost as to what happens on settlement with things like gas, electricity and phone line. Is this all still on or disconnected by the previous vendor, or do I need to disconnect if I plan to choose my own?

I think my conveyancer will sort out the water and council, just unsure of gas, electricty and phone line is conencted.

Thanks.

You need to sort it out. give your favourite companies a call and organise to be connected for settlement day.

NB, settling on a friday and not having electricity for the weekend is a right of passage for many first home buyers.

You need to sort it out. give your favourite companies a call and organise to be connected for settlement day.

NB, settling on a friday and not having electricity for the weekend is a right of passage for many first home buyers.

Great. Anyone know of good/cheap electricity and gas for Sydney metro area. I may go with TPG for internet.

Can any recommend a good gas & electricity supplier to go with for St George/Rockdale area?

It's my first time doing this and all the different plans for confusing. How much does 1/2 people usually use in an apartment when you are out of the place from 8 - 6 on weekdays.

Can any recommend a good gas & electricity supplier to go with for St George/Rockdale area?

It's my first time doing this and all the different plans for confusing. How much does 1/2 people usually use in an apartment when you are out of the place from 8 - 6 on weekdays.

It all depends upon which appliances that you leave running. Eg air cond/drier, heater etc will cost $$$

Your two main suppliers - Energy oztrailya or AGL if you have to lump power/gas.

I don't think there is all that much difference between energy retailers. I've always used Energy Australia.
There is probably a website somewhere that works out expected costs for based on age, number of people in the property etc.

I personally avoid the Time of Use meters.... those rates are just ridiculous. I recall reading comments about how most people actually pay more (and based on my usage I would definitely pay more - especially in winter after finishing work).

That said, its now been split in a different manner to before. It use to be provider was based on address and you had no choice. Now its pick whichever retailer you want (because they will work with the wholesale distributor behind the scenes).

Each retailer has different "discounts" so just need to weigh up the kWh and service charge against the discount and see if they charge a meter read of $50 when signing up (which i think is only mentioned in the fine print after you proceed with the signup).

Energy Australia is actually now owned by TruEnergy and are based in VIC.... just a pain in the backside when you have multiple accounts with them and their call centre tell you they need to transfer you another department (and place you on hold again) when you want to find out info on another account (because existing accounts in NSW are NSW, but new NSW accounts are in VIC)

Back