Final Inspection - gas/electricity connection

I'm due to settle on a PPOR in two weeks and I've arranged the final inspection for 7 days prior to settlement.

The house is vacant and the electricity/gas has been turned off by the owner.

In order to do the final inspection and verify that all equipment is in good working order (e.g. stove, ducted heating, etc) the gas/electricity needs to be connected.

As I don't own the property (yet) who is responsible for this? Do I need to arrange for gas/electricity to be connected?

Thanks
Sue

The property has been vacant for some time when it was on the market and gas/electricity was not connected during the selling period.

Building inspection was done without gas/electricity connected. The plan was to have it connected for the final inspection as I have a clause in the contract:

"All plumbing, fixed floor covering, electrical wiring, fittings and applicances are not damaged and in good working conditions as inspected during building inspection and private inspection prior to settlement."

Tenants connect services in their name and they don't own the property. If you do want to check the services and appliances, connect up in your name.

I cannot see how this would be refused?

Beware though, that if the house has been vacant for some time, you will likely need a site visit by the electrical company to check all power. I had a friend who, as a tenant, had to be there for a site visit to have all power points checked. You need to get onto this today in case it holds things up.

The property has been vacant for some time when it was on the market and gas/electricity was not connected during the selling period.

Building inspection was done without gas/electricity connected. The plan was to have it connected for the final inspection as I have a clause in the contract:

"All plumbing, fixed floor covering, electrical wiring, fittings and applicances are not damaged and in good working conditions as inspected during building inspection and private inspection prior to settlement."

Did you put that clause in? To me that clause says "As long as everything looks the same in the pre-settlement inspection as they did before exchange, I agree to assume that everything is in good working condition." Unless the clause has more words in it, there is nothing to suggest the vendor must get the services connected before settlement.

I had this Exact same situation recently,

I put down this clause in my contract (All electrical/ gas appliances to be in good working order prior settlement, if not repairs / replacement Must be done by vendor)

I had a building/pest inspection done firstly, then maybe 1 or 2 weeks prior settlement I organised everything to be put in my name electricity/gas/water, then when I done the final inspection I was able to check my self that all appliances ect where working... WHICH was not the case :O no hot water as there was a problem with the Hot water service real estate agent organised a plumber immediately problem was fixed happy days!

Regards...

Back