Elevation and street noise

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a property with a weird acoustic phenomenon: it is elevated and although it is three streets down and pretty far away from a busy road (Marmion Rd, Perth) you can really hear the traffic in the backyard. I have looked at places literally right next to the road but not elevated and you could hear a pin drop!

It's weird, the outlook is beautiful and tranquil and private but the sounds aren't.

One thing I noticed is there is not a very tall fence and hardly any bushes / trees in the backyard. So I thought if I add those that should buffer the noise a bit.

Did anyone come across an issue like this before? Any tips ould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Heroin, sound travels.

Ever been fishing on a boat and noticed you can hear people talking from far away? It's the same deal, ie sound travels.

Its a tricky one unless you know where the noise is coming from.

I live in a property that is well away from the highway but for some reason we get highway noise. There are plenty trees houses etc in between.

Sometimes the noise bounces off the hill behind if the property is in the same situation then trees may not help. Our noise here increases depending on the wind. Have you been back at different times of the day and different weather conditions, you may find it can be quieter.

We live not terribly far from the south east freeway. We don't get any freeway noise (too far away from it) but there are whole pockets in surrounding suburbs where I would not buy due to freeway noise. It is a background "hum" and I wouldn't want to live with that.

Noise rises, so even being three streets away, or considerably more than that means you'll have the same issue if you ever want to sell this house.

I have heard acoustic engineers describe sound / noise as being like water.

Unless you have some virtually air-tight structure in-between you and it, sound will travel through, with obviously some reduction in volume over distance.

Hard surfaces can also 'bounce' the noise - so look at what is in-between you and it in terms of hard surfaces and structures etc.

The other factor is prevailing wind. If it regularly blows a certain way - then the noise will be carried by the breeze.

Back