Elizabeth, North Adelaide, SA

Elizabeth Park

Thanks for sharing your opinion and preferred option. I will let you know how I go, will have to put on my negotiation hat first though, it's been over 12 months since the last one and feeling a little rusty.

Regards
Steve

Thanks for sharing your opinion and preferred option. I will let you know how I go, will have to put on my negotiation hat first though, it's been over 12 months since the last one and feeling a little rusty.

Regards
Steve

lol good luck Stevey! That's the part where I suck, I think I'm what they refer to as a wooden duck :D I get someone else to handle the actual buying for me.

Steve,

It looks like its right on the train line as well.

It seems to be a case at present of lets whack a high price on a property and see how we go. Its working ... hahaha

Martin

Steve,

It looks like its right on the train line as well.

It seems to be a case at present of lets whack a high price on a property and see how we go. Its working ... hahaha

Martin

Martin,

You're right, but Google Earth can be a bit deceiving. There is about 20-30m of scrub between the rail line and the houses. In the new developments, the houses are backing right onto the rail line - as in back fence, 3m, then rail line :eek:

Personally it would'nt puit me off the actual position - I bid for a house a couple months ago just down the road (2 Chirton St), again facing the tracks.

Steve, ... I was thinking more from a noise point of view and maybe prospective tenants being put off.

I have a couple of properties in Elizabeth areas, but I haven't seen them apart from Google earth view, ... one of them is in Elizabeth South one street back from the train lines and I must admit that I've had no problem getting tenants, so you are probably right that its not an issue.

Martin

I will say that it might not make that much difference whether the train lines are 10m or 25m from the property if they right at the back of the property.

Its more important that there are some houses between the train line and your house. I will be very careful about buying an IP directly behind one...

Steve, ... I was thinking more from a noise point of view and maybe prospective tenants being put off.

I have a couple of properties in Elizabeth areas, but I haven't seen them apart from Google earth view, ... one of them is in Elizabeth South one street back from the train lines and I must admit that I've had no problem getting tenants, so you are probably right that its not an issue.

Martin

Good point Martin, glad to know it hasn't seemed to bother your tennants though. I guess ideally another location would be better, but people don't seem to be too fussed. Also quite handy if people work in town - 2 of my IP's are about 1 street or 200m from a train stop.

I will say that it might not make that much difference whether the train lines are 10m or 25m from the property if they right at the back of the property.

Its more important that there are some houses between the train line and your house. I will be very careful about buying an IP directly behind one...

Personally that's my feeling as well. I would'nt want to live in a place that close to them myself, but having said that - in Adelaide at any rate - they don't seem to worry about it. As I mentioned, houses backing on to the tracks, and my parents last house in a new development (Walkley Heights) backed directly on to a 4 lane major road that was always busy, day and night, but never really seemed to be an issue.

I guess different tastes, but when it comes down to it, if it's a good development, and the rest of the area is all sold and rising, the properties next to the track/road may get a small discount, but they definitely still rise and are desired - if only because it's people's only choice to get into the nerighbourhood (and if they're lucky at a small discount).

home come you guys havent even seen the property's you own ?. surely its only a 25 - 30min drive ?

I saw one before I bought it, the other two I saw after I purchased - one was brand new (& they're pretty much all the same for rental purposes once you know amount of bd/bth etc), and the other I wasn't really interested because I was only buying it for the land. In both of those cases though, I had someone check them out for me. Been inside all of them once on settlement day, then rented out ever since - I drive by them every now and again when I'm up there checking out the area.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what people think of Elizabeth Downs. Is it one of the good or bad Elizabeths, or doesn't it make much difference? Are there areas around there that should be avoided?

Thanks.

West Davoren Park should be avoided from what i've heard. But the rest of the area is hot property at the moment.

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what people think of Elizabeth Downs. Is it one of the good or bad Elizabeths, or doesn't it make much difference? Are there areas around there that should be avoided?

Thanks.

Elizabeth Downs is one of the worse Elizabeths. Driving through it feels like something from Mad Max.

Personally, I think the whole area's gone nuts. I wouldn't be buying there now, you can find similarly priced properties closer to the city...

Elizabeth Downs is one of the worse Elizabeths. Driving through it feels like something from Mad Max.

Personally, I think the whole area's gone nuts. I wouldn't be buying there now, you can find similarly priced properties closer to the city...

If prices keep going I think I'd have to agree. Don't get me wrong, I've done well from Elizabeth area, but if prices start going to $200k+, unless it's an exceptional development site (eg. corner block with room for 3 houses etc), I think you can probably get closer to the city for similar price. I only bought 2 months ago, but at $139k I considered that good value, the same place now only a little while later for $160k+ I'd have to think twice.

Even Salisbury suburbs are starting to look cheaper again if Elizabeth suburbs keep going like the last few months.

I agree Steve, ... my brother is buying a couple of IP's at the moment. He asked me where he should look. I advised him Salisbury suburbs as I believed Elizabeth prices were becoming to expensive and to competitive for the quality of house on offer.

He managed to pick one up yesterday in Salisbury suburb and is looking for another also in the Salisbury/Paralowie area.

I must admit, if I was going to pay $200k plus I would be looking at Salisbury/Paralowie instead of northern Elizabeth suburbs .. or as I did recently .. bought in E/Vale that is on the border of Salisbury Park/Heights for under $190k.

I nearly bought a couple of properties in E/Downs a few weeks ago (they both failed building/pest)... glad I didn't after reading the above posts ... :)

Martin

Mystery, have you considered looking around the Port Adelaide area? A bit too pricey for me at the moment, and not that much on offer - but I think it will have good capital growth in coming years with all the development. The council there is also very easy as far as subdivision goes from what I've seen - some blocks as small as 500m2 have been split into 2.

I am also trying to think longer term - I've had a look at Adelaide from the satellite and tried to work out what will happen 10yrs from now. We are pretty much nearing the end of the Northern expansion as Munno Parra/Blakeview is as far as current zoning and other issues like Gawler Council etc. will allow. There is the possibility of further expansion along the coast to the north where the new Buckland Park development is going, however again, that is stretching further and further from the city as it stands now (and it's not your nice coastal property either - a lot of mud flats etc.)

As far as southern expansion goes, I'm not sure how much further that can go either as far as being a commute to the CBD etc., and the area to the east of the current Aldinga etc. expansion is Mclaren Vale which is our big wine producing area - so they won't let resedential areas creep into that.

My current working theory is the next big area of expansion for Adelaide once it's "full up" is to the East past the mountain range. There has already been a great deal of expansion and housing developments at Mt Barker (the biggest town in the area), Aldgate, Strathalbyn, Nairne etc.

They have upgraded the freeway in recent years including putting tunnels through the mountain, which has all drastically cut down travel time to CBD. Mt Barker has also seen (and is still in middle of) major housing estates, a new cinema complex, dept stores (Big W from memory), supermarkets etc.

The land on this side is virtually limitless, which is why I believe this is where future growth will occur, and as far as I can tell from my very limited research so far - will centre around Mt Barker for the near future at any rate with all it's infrastructure.

So I am currently looking at Mt Barker, and especially Nairne, which is about 5km away on the other side of the freeway, but has had a lot of housing development also. Either buying a new house, or perhaps looking at old ones for development possibilities (I know nothing yet of the councils desires as far as land size for allotments etc is). Nairne is of interest to me as it looks to be cheaper than Mt Barker, but for all intents and purposes, should piggy back off all their shops, cinemas etc.

The land on this side is virtually limitless, which is why I believe this is where future growth will occur, and as far as I can tell from my very limited research so far - will centre around Mt Barker for the near future at any rate with all it's infrastructure.

So I am currently looking at Mt Barker, <snip>

Steve, that seems a bit counter-intuitive, wouldn't you want to invest in areas where the supply is limited, and stay away from areas of limitless supply?

I think it's actually infrastructure upgrades that put upward pressure on prices in growth corridors, not the fact that there is limitless supply which is actually a negative factor in price increases IMHO.

An ideal world is limited supply coupled with infrastructure improvements. Worst case is limitless supply and no infrastructure upgrades.

What you are betting on is that the positive effect of infrastrucutre (which increases demand) is going to outweigh the negative of an increase in supply. I don't trust state governments so I shy away from such areas.

something to consider anyway....

Back