Employer wont give me character reference.

Very true Geoff....

You wouldn't want to be applying for some sort of Public Service job and tell your prospective employer your former employer won't issue you with a written reference....your application in triplicate would be thrown into the triplicate bin straight away.

IME, written references basically don't exist anymore. I've been referee for a few colleagues, and it's always just been a phone call.

As an employer I don't even put much store on telephone references any more. I found out that some of the people I had previously called were just friends. Its just as easy to fake an oral reference as a written one unfortunately.

Reference checks seem a bit out of date, especially for younger employees - between LinkedIn, Facebook, and google you can find out a lot about people, whether they want you to know it or not.
Not many contacts on LinkedIn from previous workplace - probably didn't fit in with the team/department/company
Large number of google results - has a life outside of the workplace (unless they're referencing academic papers, or PR results)
FB - even the minimal information that comes up for profiles on top level privacy gives you a few tips as to the person
ASIC register is another helpful one (especially if you have an account with them)

The electronic trails people leave these days are far more telling than a reference.

Strange that most bosses won't give references. I've never had an issue with former bosses giving me references (glowing ones, from feedback I get!). But that's probably because I'm so awesome and good looking.

Ive had requests from prospective employers of ex-employees that I have full-on sacked for misconduct, or a culmination of written warnings and mediation.

I usually terminate the phone interview very early by politely saying that my recommendation would be to save themselves a liability and to move onwards.

Usually I facebook stalk them, or analyse the resume. My favourite standout is usually the email address which gives them away. Im hardly going to employ someone with an email similar to [email protected]

pinkboy:cool:

Not legal afaik. And it can be hard for people with more common names.

I've had some doozies myself. But sometimes that's just youthful humour which has carried on just a little too long.

The internet is fair game, and dependant on user profile settings, you can basically see their whole life story, of which they agree to show the world when they sign up!

Im fairly subdued here on SS, and at least make my post count 50:50 with rubbish vs informative contribution! On FB, I have a whale of a time bagging everyone out - mind you, you would not be my friend unless you knew how to take my 'aquired' humour! And signing up friends with me releases any comebacks on being ridiculed, insulted and defence from poor taste comments!

Dont worry, Ive sacked certain ex-employees over FB comments, like lieing about their whereabouts and their activities etc.

Best thing Ive read on a resume was in the hobby and interest section, where a guy claimed to 'enjoy making dirty films'. :eek:

pinkboy

When I applied for a government job last time they called 5 of my friends for references, asking whether I gambled or had a tendency to leak confidential information...

My last government job was a 2 page response to some questions, 2 references (contact details only) and that was it.

Very simple and relaxed.

The internet is fair game, and dependant on user profile settings, you can basically see their whole life story, of which they agree to show the world when they sign up!
If you make an employment decision based on what you see on the internet, you may need to ensure that you don't publicise that. An employee who has been terminated through what you see on Facebook may be able to seek action against you.

An employee who posts stuff like that on Facebook is most likely to have a bad enough attitude that there will be other reasons for termination.

It can work the other way as well. An employee I wanted to keep was posting that she was really desperate to stay. That was helpful in the negotiations.

I once made a throwaway remark on Twitter about a sex worker who applied for a job- about how my wife wouldn't want me to hire her. I got a lot of posts objecting to that. In fact, that did not affect my decision. If she had had food experience as well I would have hired her.

If you make an employment decision based on what you see on the internet, you may need to ensure that you don't publicise that. An employee who has been terminated through what you see on Facebook may be able to seek action against you.

An employee who posts stuff like that on Facebook is most likely to have a bad enough attitude that there will be other reasons for termination.

It can work the other way as well. An employee I wanted to keep was posting that she was really desperate to stay. That was helpful in the negotiations.

I once made a throwaway remark on Twitter about a sex worker who applied for a job- about how my wife wouldn't want me to hire her. I got a lot of posts objecting to that. In fact, that did not affect my decision. If she had had food experience as well I would have hired her.

Great food for thought Geoff, and Ill take that on board!

pinkboy

If the company has strict reference policies then just have to tell your prospective employer about this. HR personnel dont give details for fear of confidentiality clause. All they can do is to confirm that you used to work for the company. So no salary information or whatsoever.

Back