Enough is Enough

When the cops were checking things out they asked about the dog... where was she at the time? In the air conditioning in our bedroom, where else!

I had to laugh. Years ago when hubby and I were both poor students living in a very run down cottage in a less than salubrious part of town we had a car broken into. It was parked right outside our bedroom window and we never heard a thing. Like us our dog was asleep in the room with us enjoying the air conditioning. Talk about brazen...after stealing the car stereo the first time around they thieves came back a few nights later and ripped out the speakers. We heard them this time but they ran off with their loot before we could get out the door to stop them.

Gooram, I strongly recommend an alarm system. Our current PPOR had a monitored alarm already installed when we purchased it because the previous owners had their own business and often had large amounts of cash on the premises as well as plenty of money for desirable items. After getting broken into a few times they had the alarm installed and a small safe and never had another problem. We've been here 5.5 years without a problem also except for someone recently stealing our garden trailer from out the front (it was a wreck - we didn't think anyone would want it :eek:). Previous owners and us have never considered security screens as a real feature of the house is lots of floor to ceiling windows which would be spoilt. The other thing we have is motion sensor lights right around the house and only access to backyard through garage or a high locked side gate. Another thing to consider is to keep windows clear of vegetation and anything else that might shield a thief from view whilst they try to gain access. When we're away on holidays we rig up lamps to timers so that the house is lit at night. For $10 or so you can get these timers from Bunnings that come on and off at random times within in certain timeframe (say 6pm-midnight) so it would really confuse anyone who might be casing the place. Off course, you need to get your mail collected daily or held by the post office as this is a dead giveaway.

BTW, with a monitored alarm most insurers offer a good discount on your policy. We only have ours monitored when we are away on holidays, rest of the time the alarm rings our mobile phones if it is activated or the power is cut. Whichever way you go the alarm is sure to be a deterent. Most thieves will move on to an easier target.

Flatout

Yeah the question is where do you go? No where is safe, and you're right, the key is not to be vulnerable to break-ins. Even with an alarm, it won't stop people trying, so you'll at least be up for a new window. What's next, security grills on every window? What about the fixed panes? Bars on windows? Forget that. If someone really want to get in, there's always the manhole... unless you've got a tin roof of course.

I think also a factor is our small block creates good coverage for people moving around and inside the house, not much space between the fence and the walls of the house.

Hate to see you have to move because of this Gooram. What sort of security does the house have? Might be cheaper than moving especially when you take into account REA selling commissions, stamp duty etc.

We just moved into an old house where the lady was mugged years ago and since then they became very security conscious.

Have you got:
- Roller shutters on every window.
- Padlocked side gates too tall to climb over easily without making a scene(and in my case a large, barking German Shepherd behind it)
- Sensor lights on driveway and yards.
- Deadlocks on all doors.
- Security doors on all exterior entrances.
- High quality alarm system with deafening squealer inside, and most importantly - monitored by security company ie. if it goes off they'll be there in 10mins.
- Excessive foliage at sides and front of house kept trimmed.

I know what you're thinking, but we have pretty much all of this, and it's not intrusive or unsightly at all.

Hi all and thanks for your feedback, nice to know we're not alone on this one... well, you know what I mean.

In terms of security, I have built a high fence on one side but the other side is yet to be done and both semi-obscured from the street by the front yard. Regardless, if there's no-one around to see them, it doesn't matter how exposed you are or aren't.

Last time there were footprints in pot plants indicating they came over the fence from the neighbour who has easy access from the street, so no-one would have seen them come in to our house directly.

All doors and windows are deadlocked, we have security screens on sliding doors, so they all seem to be holding up since every time a window has been broken to gain access. Once inside though, I was very dissappointed to see that they could kick in a deadlocked internal door to the garage.

So the answer is an alarm to hopefully scare them off as soon as they step inside. Unless they're pro's who set their stopwatch as soon as the alarm goes off, knowing precisely how long they have before the cavalry arrive. A pair of earmuffs would negate any piercing effects surely.
I heard of some alarm that could make one lose control of their bodily functions, now that would be sweet!

Sorry to hear it.

I've had my place broken into once (when I was renting) and it was bad. You feel as if someone just went through all your stuff and you feel like replacing everything.

I heard of some alarm that could make one lose control of their bodily functions, now that would be sweet!

and I bet it would first happen to you :D Not something I'd want - got to remember that at some stage you will be home when it accidently goes off - you forget it is on, a cat sets it off, or something.......

All doors and windows are deadlocked, we have security screens on sliding doors, so they all seem to be holding up since every time a window has been broken to gain access. Once inside though, I was very dissappointed to see that they could kick in a deadlocked internal door to the garage.

So the answer is an alarm to hopefully scare them off as soon as they step inside. Unless they're pro's who set their stopwatch as soon as the alarm goes off, knowing precisely how long they have before the cavalry arrive. A pair of earmuffs would negate any piercing effects surely.

Unfortunately the 'brown note' is apparently a myth. Although imagine the mess you'd have upon your arrival home! :D

If they're gaining access through the windows, seriously consider roller shutters or security grills (obviously shutters would be easier on the eyes). As far as the alarm goes - I doubt they'd hang around too long after that goes off even if they do know the general response time. Much easier for them to cut their losses and move onto another house without an alarm. They'd also be less likely to hit you a second time once they know there's an alarm installed. The harder you make it for them, the more likely they'll just move onto the next house that doesn't put up as much resistance.

I've always had that suspicion with doors and deadlocks - but obviously I didn't want to test my theory by kicking my front door in! :eek:

I have to ask why ... only now, after 5 break-ins, you are considering an alarm system ?
Sorry if it seems a tad harsh ... but I'm amazed.

I have to ask why ... only now, after 5 break-ins, you are considering an alarm system ?
Sorry if it seems a tad harsh ... but I'm amazed.

Fair call, but I guess the first two were technically not break-ins.

We left the garage door open one night and both of our bikes were stolen... (yes, open invitation I know)

Second and most worrying was a night time stealth mission where our wallets and phones were taken while we were sleeping... from our bedroom :eek:

We have a security system which has been damaged this year by lightning striking near our house on 2 separate occasions 36 days apart, first time $781 to repair, last time $946.

1st storm ended up with our town being declared a 'disaster area' and estimated $56 million in damages.

2nd storm included a small destructive tornedo.

Our insurance broker has told us to be careful as the insurance company may not cover us in the future if it we have too many claims! [May need to change companies if this happens, nothing like being penalised for protecting your property].

We have asked our Electrican to price a surge protector for the meter box (or what ever it is called).

Sheryn

We have a security system which has been damaged this year by lightning striking near our house on 2 separate occasions 36 days apart, first time $781 to repair, last time $946.

Why does it matter how much it cost to get it fixed? Your insurance should pay for it.

1st storm ended up with our town being declared a 'disaster area' and estimated $56 million in damages.

Our insurance broker has told us to be careful as the insurance company may not cover us in the future if it we have too many claims! [May need to change companies if this happens, nothing like being penalised for protecting your property].

Gees, sack your broker......if it is a legitimate claim, it is a legitimate claim. You are paying your high premiums to cover legitimate claims....doesn't matter how many there are...

We have asked our Electrican to price a surge protector for the meter box (or what ever it is called).

Sheryn

Having had a fire in our house at 2am in the morning I shudder to think about having grills on windows.

You can get ones that open from the inside but can't be opened from the outside so that you can escape in a fire, or if an intruder gets into the house.

We were recently in South Hedland speaking to a biulder up there about our house we are building. He told us to DEFINATELY use a product called Crimsafe. It is used by most builders up there now. It is a mesh embedded in the glass so it cant be broken. I did a websearch and there are 3 companys inPerth which sell it. I had to ring the head office to get the numbers (sorry cant find them right now). He said it is the only real deterrent he knows.

There are no guarantees but, having in a former life been a locksmith, one thing we used to advise people..........for anyone considering breaking in, make it potentially noisy and time consuming......the "pros" normally will look for an easier target.

:cool:

Sheryn

I watched a documentary a while ago. They were talking about insurance companies refusing to renew policies with clients who had a major fire damage claim.As soon as a your insurance refuses you, it may be a red flag to other insurance companies to not want to deal with you.I always remembered that. After our tenant fire, we changed Insurance company.
(of course this is canada)

We moved into a rental place that has an alarm system.
I originally decided A) i wasn't going to use it and B) i was going to disconnect the back-to-base, and not pay for it.

anyway - it turns out my property manager used to manage this one (canberra sure is small :p) and she told me i definitely need the alarm, that it's been broken into multiple times.

When i went through the condition report, I realised how correct she was, so we always use the alarm.

Anyways,, saturday and sunday we went out, let the windows open a little bit, to let air through, but with the bars, to stop them being opened further, and the curtains closed.
so the wind blew the curtains. and the curtains activated the motion detectors.

So we came home to a flashing blue light.. and i felt sick.
Then, same again on sunday, but i didn't feel so sick this time.
Spoke to my neighbour who was out in his yard, and he told me that yes, it had gone off, and he'd gone and checked, but couldn't see anything.
So, i'm grateful that I seem to have a good neighbour :)

Gooram - My condolences. It's a nasty thing to happen. I've had my car broken into, and nothin stolen and even that, I hated.

according to the police i spoke to years ago - 80% of breakins are by drug addicts wanting something to flog for their next hit.

so, logically it would suggest that to reduce the burglary rate we need to fix the drug problem (or put battery acid in the powder - i didn't suggest anything :rolleyes:).

according to the police i spoke to years ago - 80% of breakins are by drug addicts wanting something to flog for their next hit.

so, logically it would suggest that to reduce the burglary rate we need to fix the drug problem (or put battery acid in the powder - i didn't suggest anything :rolleyes:).

I have always thought it would be better to give them the stuff for free, I am sure it would be cheaper for the taxpayer. Give them really good stuff, extra strength, easy to OD on, etc. It would reduce crime, not cost very much, smash the drug trade and get rid of the scumbags all in one stroke.

Certainly seems that way, if not cash, then something that can be readily converted to cash, and something that cannot be traced.

Both of our cameras were left alone as these have model numbers, Police say that most electronics are safe these days because of this. Having said that have had friends that had their entire place cleaned out after recently moving in all their new gear... everything gone... now THAT's scary.

lizzie I think you're completely correct. One thing you have missed though is that they aren't smart and will break into the easiest place. So the non-security doors, no bars, empty complexes, easily visible inside (no sound/curtains) are always going to the best targets.

I think you'd be unlucky to be robbed if you have security screens, TV on, random light timers, outside proximity lights and a nice loud alarm.

...and not forgetting sharing a beer or two with the neighbours every few weeks.

Back