Estimate time frame & cost reno's...

Hi

I'm planning to do some reno's on a IP in Sunshine Coast. Budget 20-50k.
Old 1970's 4bdr cavity brick house, split level. Structurally solid great location. Est 500k ATM.

Would appreciate an estimation re the time, cost and any other advice from the experienced ones on the forum:-

1. Kitchen - completely replace with new. I've only done 1 kitchen reno (BNE) that took approx 5-6 weeks from measure/order to installation. Average sized kitchen. Est 10-15K (incl. new ss appliances).

2. Knock down a wall dividing small kitchen from large living area - to make it more open-plan and modern. And perhaps a bigger kitchen... any idea of cost for knocking chipboard wall down...

3. Strip all carpet (whole house except for kitchen). Polish hard wood timber floors under carpet (I've never done this before). :confused:

4. Modernise/rejuvenate bathrooms with minimal cost. Thinking maybe replace vanities, shower doors, fittings. Re-enamel bath & tiles (also never tried this before). :confused:

5. Paint - prob can do this with help from family with minimal cost ...

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.:)

Just decide exactly what you want, draw a plan, call in the tradies and get quotes. Re the painting, if you are going to do it yourself, read the tin and it will tell you the coverage. There are just so many variables here. I know someone who spent well over 100k doing what you described, it depends on so many factors, the level of finsih, what you can reasonably do yourself....

I have just spent about $200k on a renovation and that was with us doing the demolition, painting, rendering and landscaping.

You are likely to need a carpenter, plumber, electrician, plasterer, floor guy:), glazier, cabinet maker....

Be as specific as you can or it can really get away on you.:D I speak form humble experience.

Louise

Hi,

That's a big job. You should use a control sheet, go from room to room and write down everything you want to replace including power points, light fittings, light fixtures, curtains, splashbacks, taps, etc, etc
You can buy templates of these control sheets and they will help you cost out each item and tradie labour individually so that you have the full costing of the project before hand. This also allows you to prioritise tasks and leave off any changes you decide are low priority if you need to.

The kitchen should not cost you more then $8,000-$10,000 including appliances. It should take somewhere between 3-5 weeks depending on who you use.

Knocking down a wall should cost you around $2000-$3000. Don't forget to do this before you start changing floor coverings and check if there are any light switches, phone cables or power points you want moved from that wall.
Stripping carpet & sanding & polishing floors would cost you around $2000-$3000 to get someone else to do it or you can hire all the equipment from Coates or Handy Hire and try and do it yourself.

I hope that has helped. If you need some contacts drop me a line, I might be able to recommend a few people.

Wishing you every success,

Thanks for the useful tips Ana & Louise

Still another couple of months before we can start...Ana I may take up on your offer for contacts when it comes closer.

Thanks once again.:)

Back