Ex-Tenant's rented Furniture left behind

Hi All,

Part 3 of a mini series "Nightmare with Ex Tenant"...

So here goes, lawyer has wrote to tenant demanding his goods be cleared, he has come back saying goods belong to XXX company. XXX company (furniture lease company) but have not really come back to state when they will remove goods...time is money and it's been about a week.

As I don't want further crap down the track (ex tenant tried to take me to VCAT a couple of times) What should I do next?

How can I:

1. Legally distance myself from the XXX company and ex tenant in case XXX company comes back saying well, you've lost furniture X Y and Z.

2. Charge XXX company rent for goods sitting on my commercial premise which I can't lease out?

Thanks.

How about contacting the company that owns the furniture and tell them they have 24 hours to pick it up otherwise you will leave it on the verge?

We've had this issue a few times.

Here in Canada We contact the furniture rental company, and ask them to come get it.
They do every time.

You may want to take pictures of them, when they come, or ask them to sign an inventory list, you have written...just to cover your butt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does it matter that its rented? Why dont you take the normal route when obtaining vacant pocession? If they've left stuff in the property its not your problem whether its owned, loaned, stolen, rented, borrowed or whatever; thats tenant's problem

Back