Experiences with a Termite spotted property

Hi All
I have finalised a property in western Sydney area and did a Pest& Building inspection. The report came back with a past termite activity. Means there is no live termite activity and an evidence was spotted. The inspector confirmed a proper treatment should be all-right with periodic inspection. I was quoted it should cost me around 6K to do the treatment with 5 years warranty..

Anyone had such experience. Bit scarred to go ahead with the deal..

Any advice?

Velli:confused:

2 options:
1. Negotiate $10+K off the price AND spend the $5-6K for a treatment program yourself.
2. Walk away.

Chances are at some point in a property's life, it will come under some form of termite attack - this is pretty normal, especially for properties that are older (but it happens on younger ones too).

What kind of evidence was spotted? Were some of the fence palings nibbled at? Did a tree have termite damage to it? Or was there damage internally?

Typically, inspectors will always recommend a barrier treatment whenever they find evidence of termites ANYWHERE on the property. And typically they will over quote to cover their backsides.

In the area I work there are heaps of termites. One in every 15 homes will have some kind of “termite damage”. Usually it’s only minor and the activity is external. Anyway, $6,000 sounds harsh compared to quotes I have seen.

thanks

2 options:
1. Negotiate $10+K off the price AND spend the $5-6K for a treatment program yourself.
2. Walk away.

Chances are at some point in a property's life, it will come under some form of termite attack - this is pretty normal, especially for properties that are older (but it happens on younger ones too).

Hi
Thanks for the advice. I may go for 2nd choice as the vendor is not ready to take the 6K from his price..
Will update you the details...

Regards
Velli

What kind of evidence was spotted? Were some of the fence palings nibbled at? Did a tree have termite damage to it? Or was there damage internally?

Typically, inspectors will always recommend a barrier treatment whenever they find evidence of termites ANYWHERE on the property. And typically they will over quote to cover their backsides.

In the area I work there are heaps of termites. One in every 15 homes will have some kind of “termite damage”. Usually it’s only minor and the activity is external. Anyway, $6,000 sounds harsh compared to quotes I have seen.

Hi
The evidence was spotted on one of the roof timber on the garage which is converted as a granny. As it is in the roof, definitely side wall will be affected and the inspector couldn't do it due to the current tenant's items kept there

Regards
Velli

Personally, I would be more worried about the termite damage then the treatment.

I have attached a post I made about termites a little while ago.

Hi Dono,

I have seen many pest and building reports. The inspectors themselves do need to cover their backsides so the reports always seem worse than the problem really is. As a general guide line, every fault they find, they will presume the worst and predict the worst if it is not fixed then quote massively over what the fault will cost to repair. I see this all the time!

I have been told by some inspectors that the insurance premiums are up to $30,000. I have been told by others that they have to get insurance from New Zealand as other insurers won’t touch them. I’m not sure if this is true, it’s just what I have been told.

So, with this in light, it is understandable why inspectors are “over the top” in their reports. Just remember that it is a default report they provide, it’s not a report to say how good the home is, it’s a report to say how bad the home is.

I have seen homes which are riddled with termites (sometimes even live). I have had others where there is only minor damage under the home or to the fence. Sometimes they have a little nibble and go away. Other times they may go right through a home, leave mud-tracking everywhere but not eat anything.

I would advise you speak to the actual inspector. You paid him so I’m sure he would be happy to have a chat. I think you will get a clearer picture by speaking to him rather than reading what is basically, a “cover my backside” report.

Also keep in mind the re-sale issue. Once you have termite damage it is very hard to hide. Even if you replace all the damaged beams, you will probably end up with drill marks in the concrete slab + various stickers in your meter box. So next time you sell, the buyers pest inspector will probably realise there has been previous termite issues. Otherwise the builder inspector will notice newer beams compared to older ones- and their not stupid, they know what’s going on.

Honestly, when you mention the word “termite”, many buyers run or believe they can purchase the property for land value. It can be very difficult issue to deal with.

If you do end up buying the property, be sure to keep all documentation and photos of all work and treatment. This is usually the saving grace for many vendors when they re-sell the property. If you can give the next buyer piece of mind that there have been regular pest inspections/treatments and the original problem was fixed, you won’t have any issues.

$6000 sounds a lot to be honest. However without seeing the place one really cannot say its over priced. Get a couple of prices and ask how they do it.

I would ensure you get certificates and sticker is left in the metre box once done.

Mother in law has had hers done cost $3000.00 :eek:. I'm about to have a chat with this pest guy and get him to do it properly, failing that will report him. Talk about shonky workmanship.

I also agree with the granny flat check approval.

Brian

I’m not sure if I would ever recommend anyone doing a DIY job when it comes to termite protection. You wouldn’t attempt to fix your car if you had no experience, so why try and protect your biggest asset under the same scenario?

$6000 does sounds expensive!

Does anyone have any recommendations for suppliers? I remember reading some tips on forum.homeone.com.au

Has anyone done a DIY job? Products look quite cheap

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc-p-184.html

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com

That's a USA site.

Try these guys - they are in Sydney

http://agservaustralia.com/

Make out like you are a professional pesty

You can certainly find enough info as to how to spray or use bait system around the net

Cheers

PS Bought this stuff from then before - pack of 4 tubes $100 to kill cockroaches work wonders didn't see a roach for a year.

http://agservaustralia.com/products/id/39

thanks to Every one

I checked with the two and they both said to me it will cost around 4K if they use good chemicals and will cost around 2.5K if the cheaper ones are used.

I will explore more and update you all...

Termite treatment is not regulated in Australia, unfortunately, therefore the door is open for anyone with a can of bug spray to call themselves a "pesty". The thing to keep in mind is that spraying will not get rid of your problem nor keep them away as termites live underground - the ones that are exposed to light only live for 20 min. Treatments do vary depending on how severe the problem is or what treatment they are wanting to carry out.
The other consideration, from experience, " past termite activity' does not mean that they are gone, it can also mean that they were there, they were treated but they may be back. Some inspections can be hindered by accessibility and a bunch of other reasons. In your situation you need to look at various things such as;
1. Is the house on a slab - if so they are easier to treat and prevent than ones on foundations.
2. What do the surrounding homes look like - structurally wise
3. How many trees are there in your street and yards (termites can come from over 500 meters away to your home)
4. Get another couple of independent inspections
If you go ahead with the purchase look into baits, you may be able to get DIY ones, place one every 2 - 3 meters surrounding the home. Check the baits for any sign of termites and if there are signs then you will need to get a treatment and prevention in place.
There is so much more to type that I might be here all day. Let me know what you decide to do and I will then give you more info.

thanks

Hi JoTP
Thanks for your advice and sorry for the late reply. I end up buying the property finally. Now I am currently doing the treatment and to my surprise, I found many more timber frames are affected inside the wall.
Will replace them all and then do the treatment.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good pest treatment agency who can do the termite control in Blacktown area?

Regards
Velli

Termite treatment is not regulated in Australia, unfortunately, therefore the door is open for anyone with a can of bug spray to call themselves a "pesty". The thing to keep in mind is that spraying will not get rid of your problem nor keep them away as termites live underground - the ones that are exposed to light only live for 20 min. Treatments do vary depending on how severe the problem is or what treatment they are wanting to carry out.
The other consideration, from experience, " past termite activity' does not mean that they are gone, it can also mean that they were there, they were treated but they may be back. Some inspections can be hindered by accessibility and a bunch of other reasons. In your situation you need to look at various things such as;
1. Is the house on a slab - if so they are easier to treat and prevent than ones on foundations.
2. What do the surrounding homes look like - structurally wise
3. How many trees are there in your street and yards (termites can come from over 500 meters away to your home)
4. Get another couple of independent inspections
If you go ahead with the purchase look into baits, you may be able to get DIY ones, place one every 2 - 3 meters surrounding the home. Check the baits for any sign of termites and if there are signs then you will need to get a treatment and prevention in place.
There is so much more to type that I might be here all day. Let me know what you decide to do and I will then give you more info.

Hi JoTP
Thanks for your advice and sorry for the late reply. I end up buying the property finally. Now I am currently doing the treatment and to my surprise, I found many more timber frames are affected inside the wall.
That's not good. Sorry to hear about that. Would you have bought it if you knew the extended damage?

Back