Expirence with plumbing costs?

Hey All,

We've just started our first bathroom reno and we are at the point where the plumber needs to come in.

What I have done in preparation:
- Ripped out all the tiles.
- Ripped out the shower, bath & sink.
- Ripped out the slab (just earth left)
- Took the drainage pipes out all the way back to the drain outside the bathroom (They where corroded)
- Chased the brickwork up the wall to where the new shower & sink plumbing is to be installed.

What the plumber needs to do (Supply & Install):
- 2 x New PVC drainage pipes (1 x Shower waste & 1 x sink waste)
- Run the sink drain up the wall from the floor (so that it is concealed)
- Re-Route new copper plumbing to the new shower & sink locations & modify the plumbing to be used with modern shower & basin mixers.

So anyway I got a plumber to come in and provide a quote, thinking that I would be looking at something in the vacinity of $1000.

Well, he quoted me $2350! (Needless to say I will be getting other quotes)

What is the general rate for plumbers? Even if he was working for a full day I would not expect this much! Does anyone have expirence using a plumber for a similar sized job?

Cheers

Seb

Hi sebez

I have recently done a reno where on part of the bedroom was converted to an ensuite.

Items done by plumber
- cut channels in slab for toilet / shower / vanity, run pipe work and refill
- cut into walls for all tap wear, run pipe work and refill
- dig up ground outside to run new main pipe work (luck bath / toilet on same side so it was an extention of exisisting pipe work)
- then fit all new toilet / taps / 2 x shower sets / sink

He also moved taps in laundry / kitchen / bathroom and converted to mixers and fit all sinks and new mixers.
re- install bath in bathroom - old owner had removed it and cemented up the old waste not the taps tho.

his bill was around $3.5k

My latest reno: 1 bed apartment

plumbers job convert kitchen / bathroom taps tp mixers / install new sinks and taps.

This was a very basic job I removed all old plumbing stuff.
the plumbers 1st visit: dig the walls out a bit move pipes, weld extra bits to convert to mixers about 3 hours cost $319.00 $231 labour $88 parts

2nd visit: after all cabinets installed: fit kitchen / bathroom sink and mixer, he needed to do a bit more in bathroom as I am having a washing machine attached to the vanity waste / taps. So there was a few more materials needed. bill $437.80 $308 labour $129.80 materials.

Total of job $ $756.80 Oh and he has put his prices up in July lucky mine was billed at the old rate....

So $2.5k doesn't look so bad for the work you require, copper pipe is extremely expensive at the moment.

Wait till you get the electrician in thier bills always knock me out....

What the plumber needs to do (Supply & Install):
- 2 x New PVC drainage pipes (1 x Shower waste & 1 x sink waste)
- Run the sink drain up the wall from the floor (so that it is concealed)
- Re-Route new copper plumbing to the new shower & sink locations & modify the plumbing to be used with modern shower & basin mixers.

So anyway I got a plumber to come in and provide a quote, thinking that I would be looking at something in the vacinity of $1000.

Well, he quoted me $2350! (Needless to say I will be getting other quotes)

What is the general rate for plumbers? Even if he was working for a full day I would not expect this much! Does anyone have expirence using a plumber for a similar sized job?
Seb,the price sounds ok,there would be above 8 hours works in something like that,plus materials copper-brass is not cheap anymore,most plumbers in Brisbane would start at $80.00 per hour plus a call-out fee,just get a few more quotes you may well find that they will all be above that quote..
willair..

Much better price!

Just met with another plumber down at the house. He was excellent! Not only did he point out a few issues regarding regulations but also gave us a couple options as to how we can be compliant (expensive options & cheaper options)

He is getting back to us with a quote, but he gave us a ball park of around $1200 to do the job. So we potentially looking at almost $1000 saving on the previous quote. He said it will take him the good part of the day, and that makes sense at $80 per hour plus a few hundred for materials.

Even if the quote comes out a tad higher then what he has ballparked I would be happy to go with him as he seems quite flexible and could potentially be one of those plumbers that you hold on to!

Cheers

Seb

Back