Expiry Date legality question?

so i've got an offer in on a property,apparently there is another offer moderately higher then mine, not a problem,

agent took the other offer, however, according to him, now the vendor and the buyer are in 'legal arguments' because their offer said "offer expires COB Thursday 13th Sep",and the buyer is trying to get out
however the 13th of sep is a friday!

so in the eyes of the law, does the offer expire on the thursday or the 13th?

Ive withdrawn my offer anyway

so i've got an offer in on a property,apparently there is another offer moderately higher then mine, not a problem,

agent took the other offer, however, according to him, now the vendor and the buyer are in 'legal arguments' because their offer said "offer expires COB Thursday 13th Sep",and the buyer is trying to get out

I'm no lawyer, but I'd say yes.

Depends on the terms, but if the offer says it expires on the 13th then it probably expires on the 13th. Besides, unless they have a signed contract then it wouldn't be enforceable anyway.

Confused, didnt think an offer was legally binding.

At general law if an offer is accepted then there is a legal contract in place. But with real estate transactions contracts must be in writing. So a written contract could be binding - this could be on the back of an envelope informal contract.

However, a contract that does not include certain prescribed documents be be rescinded - e.g in NSW if there is no s149 certificate then the buyer could rescind the contract in a certain time period. So even though an information contract can be binding it may not be enforceable.

my assumption is that the buyer has put in an offer of a signed contract valid until thursday night, hoping to get it

ive informed the agent that I am withdrawing my offer, and the owner has made a fairly quick decision and decided to take the other offer and sign the contract on the friday during the day

agent notifies of congratulations to the buyer,

buyer has either bought something else, and agent/vendor is trying to legally convince/enforce the now both signed contracts

and now obviously doesnt want to proceed

Back