Extending out under the eaves of a dbl brick/tile?

Hi all,

I was hoping someone here may have had some experience with extending a brick house (concrete slab) out under the eaves.

We have a PPOR in Perth that we are hoping to reconfigure and extend but of course we have a tight budget with which to do it so I am trying to consider every possible angle to make the $$$ stretch further. ;)

I'm thinking (hoping) that extending under the eaves would be more cost effective than a traditional extension as the builder wouldn't have to build the roof portion or is it a case of more fiddly = more $$$? :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

Am :D

Extend out to eaves

Hi,
Noticed your post today while searching for oursleves.

We are interested in doing the same thing to our bathrooms & laundry, beyond the windows and door line, out to the eaves.

Have you had any responses or quotes.

The building is a brick veneer single storey on a concrete slab, around 25 yrs old. We thought it might be a economical way to extend the bathrooms space.

Thanks & cheers

not a hard job just need to support roof load, demo wall throw in a beam for support, extend slab build wall install window run services finish off.. fairly labour intensive wouldnt be to expensive if you can find a small guy (sole trader who works out of the back of a ute) retired builder etc who is competent and has time to do a good job at a reasonable price thats the hard part finding the right person for the job medium to large extension builders overheads will blow the costs exponentially

Well it can be done, hard to give an estimate as its rather an open question.

Is it a low set or high set, size of extension, sloping ground, reactive soils, other things to consider, soil test, plans, certifier, etc etc. What range is your budget.

The other question will it look funny and devalue your place as it looks tacked on?

Just my 2cents worth

Brian

Hi, thank you for the feedback Sports fan & NBS.

Its a low set - single storey house, easy flat access. No other major considerations.

We are considering pushing the room out under the width of the eaves, by 600 x 1.700.

Room is currently a laundry now and am turning it into a bathroom. The existing 1.700 wall is blueboard and has a door and a window in it. This would get filled in once pushed out and we would add in louvre windows to the 2 x 600 sides.

We should be able to make it sit well with the rest of the house as it can be rendered to match.

We are having other work done that will require relaxation for a carport in the front of the property so will get plans drawn up and approvals etc further along.

I think you point about a sole op /small or retired builder is a good one Sports fan....will chase up some quotes.

Many thanks

check with council before doing anything....regulations regarding this type of thing can vary from area to area..........

idea is fine but make sure you have approval in place or it maybe very costly..

i couldnt do this through my council without waiting literally months

Back