Extension not council approved... Should I buy?

I have found a property where I would like to put in an offer however during the open home i learnt that the house has an extension at the back. the extension just adds a second living area but. It doesnt look bodgy but it is not council approved. I still think that without the extension the house is still good value however I was just curious what kind of issues this will cause me in the future?
Its in blacktown council area. If I call them and advise them that I bought it like this I doubt that they will allow it. Will they make me knock that part down?

Does anyone have any views on this? Should i make lower offer because of this un approved extension? I want to put an offer but im being held back becuase if this detail. Can someone please advise.

thanks

The house we bought has a couple of non-council approved structures... The big shed, and the deck has been extended.

we decided it was an extrememly low risk because a) we are in an area the council really neglects anyway, so the chances of an inspector coming out are very slim. b) if we had to pull both down it wouldn't make a huge difference c) the building inspector that looked at the place advised both are structurally excellent, the deck roof needs a little bit of work to raise it at one end to make it complient, but in his experience council may issue a fine and make us do some kind of retrospective planning but would be very unlikely to make us pull them down.

However i would be interested to hear from anyone who has actual experience with council having a problem with a extension that is not approved.

Thanks for your response. I guess the difference with my potential property is that the extension is internal and it increasese the actual size of the house. I have decided to put in an offer conditional to the results of the building approval. I shall see how it goes from there.
Has anyone had any experience with trying to sell a property which had additions that were not council approved?
thanks

tiger it may be that the extension went through the processes but was not c of o due to some type of fail to comply, say ne electrical certificate or somthing, if the home is not legal then i would count it at not their , and offer as much for it in the offer.
these people may have a notice to remove , you just don't know these days.

Thanks craig. I spoke to council and they said that since its just a one room addition then i will need to get a building certificate from them and then they will tell me what I need to do in order to get it up to scratch and approved. I made an offer and we shall see what they say. Thanks

Back