Exterior Paint Colour - Help

Good Afternoon All,

I'm looking at selling the property (pictured below). It is a "baby queenslander" located in Stafford Heights, QLD. The paint on the north facing wall has become cracked and thus I want to paint the entire house, to hopefully add value and increase sale-ability.

Would the fantastic renovators/painters of Somersoft please provide me some suggestions of what colours I should use. My painters have allowed me to use four individual colours within their quote. So I was thinking, Main Colour, Highlight Colour (railing, gutters), colour for below and the windows colour. Again, any suggestions of those colours would be fantastic

Thank you in advance.

Deci

0756-eve10479.jpg.ashx

That is not a "baby queenslander" but what I would call a "post war" house.

This style of house in the colour you have it can look "dated" or "old fashioned", or with the right colour, they can look trendy. I'm sure you want "trendy".

I'd be looking at a taupe with deep grey trim or something that doesn't shout "mumsy".

This is "safe" but a bit bland - http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-stafford-114506191

This is more of a queenslander style, but these colours would work well on your house - http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-wilston-114409395

Muted, pale colours don't make the house look so small and this one also is a queenslander, but the colours would be good - http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-windsor-114312927

Wylie, you are spot on with the post war house and have searched those exact houses. But really want names of colours, as I am hopeless with meeting up colours.

Westminster, I do like that colour of porters. Might do some research to see whether Dulux/Taubmans/Wattyl do a old stone wall.

Keep the suggestions coming. I was hoping to hear from Lizzie. LIZZIE! You here?

Why not go to Bunnings and pick up some brochures from paint suppliers. They usually have photos of several houses with the colours listed. You can choose from those brochures.

I'd drive around the area and look at house in the area and find one you like .

Take some pictures and drive to bunnings.

Whenever we looking at make overs from the street perspective . That what we do . Though on occasions we've had a funny look as though we might be casing the joint . But now you could do that via google ...

Cliff

Wylie, you are spot on with the post war house and have searched those exact houses. But really want names of colours, as I am hopeless with meeting up colours.

Westminster, I do like that colour of porters. Might do some research to see whether Dulux/Taubmans/Wattyl do a old stone wall.

Keep the suggestions coming. I was hoping to hear from Lizzie. LIZZIE! You here?

Dulux etc will do a match on Old Stone Wall for you.

Colourbond, Dulux, Taubmans etc usually have some set colours on their website for ones which go together well.

I'm looking at something like this. But don't know the colours. Will take your advice and go have a chat with Bunnings, see if they can point me in the right direction.

main.jpg

Hog bristle full strength with HogBristle quarter strength for the windows and trims. A complimentary but a little darker colour for the bottom section (Warm Neutral?).
We used those colours on one of our fibro ones. Love it. I think it would suit your house. Similar to the last photo but a little warmer.

Remember when choosing couloirs they look lighter on the outside of the house as opposed to inside wall colours.

This isn't the clearest or best shot, but this is my PPOR.

Main colour is Candlebark, trim colour is Hog Bristle (1/4 strength).

I'd suggest if you are having issues with choosing colours, is to invest an hour with a Dulux colour consultant.

Good luck. :)

Attachments

• 23102011038.jpg
    23102011038.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 2,604
So we believe we have cracked this nut and have taken most of your advice Buzz.

We couldn't find Candlebark and thus have gone for Lindseed, Hog Bristle Quarter for trims. Now we just need to find a colour that matches the bottom of bit of the house on my last post.

Any ideas for door colours?

I'm looking at something like this. But don't know the colours. Will take your advice and go have a chat with Bunnings, see if they can point me in the right direction.

main.jpg
These are the first colours that came to my mind!

The easy comparisons are Dune for the main colour, and Surf Mist for the windows etc. both Colorbond colours.

Cost was $5600 and I believe it has added quite a bit of 'saleability' and value to the property. Next step is to sell in March 2014, hopefully when values move up.

Nice work Deci, far better than the green :D

I'm no expert but my eye is struggling with the street angle vs the house. So depends which photo angle you go with for marketing, but if you use street view consider painting the fence similar darker colour or the bottom few rows of weatherboard to level out (where your car is parked).

Good luck:)

haha - I am here but have been so busy lately that really only flash into the coffee lounge and then off again.

The finished looks great - not exactly what I would've chosen but still very nice - now needs some garden work :D

Front door? I can't go past red - Zircon Red (Taubmans) to be exact - although a girlfriends always paints her front doors a rich purple and they look fantastic too.

Back