Extracting of teeth for braces

Hiya

Yesterday i took my teenage son to have 2 permanent teeth extracted as the orthodontist said his mouth is too crowded...

I nearly fainted in the dentist room :eek:

I am such a nervous wreck now....

For those of you who have done this, please reassure me i have done the right thing...

He has to have another 2 taken out next week....

i had 4 teeth removed as a kid for braces. all went well with the braces and my teeth were straightened. Only thing is as i got older and i stopped wearing my night retainer, my teeth started to splay forward....so now i have gaps in my front teeth. so i guess the lesson is ot keep wearing the retainer when finishing braces/

i think orthodontists like ot remove teeth so they can pull the forward teeth back. i never asked if they could have achieved the straightening of the teeth without removal of teeth (my mouth was not overcrowded, i just had crooked teeth) But personally, if u can straighten the teeth with out removing the teeth, i think that it is better, bc i think when u pull them back, they in the future want to move forward, into their natural position.....all my uneducated opinion- i;m not a dentist.

Well...seeing as though you asked.... I got 4 teeth pulled out when I was 14. Two teeth pulled out weeks apart. First set were ok, but my second visit... :eek: The dentist injected the anesthetic and he did a test pull and I told him I could still feel it. Injected some more anesthetic and same again, I could still feel it. FOURTEEN injections later I could still feel everything, no numbness whatsoever but the dentist didn't believe me because "there was no way the anesthetic wasn't working by now" so he continued to pull 2 teeth out and I felt every little thing. I screamed and squirmed but he must just have put it down as a teenager overreacting.

Needless to say, I haven't been back to a dentist since.

I still have gaps where the teeth were too (and crooked bottom teeth).

Kesse's teeth

Hiya

I think i am feeling quite faint now........

Are you telling me the braces did not work in filling up the gaps?

Please tell me this is not so!!!

(My son is very very good looking btw)

Four teeth - do you need a referral to an oral surgeon? Best done under a general anesthetic.

There'd be no way that I would get 4 teeth pulled at the dentists (or be game enough to return a second time to have the last two pulled).

Four teeth - do you need a referral to an oral surgeon? Best done under a general anesthetic.

There'd be no way that I would get 4 teeth pulled at the dentists (or be game enough to return a second time to have the last two pulled).

If they're not impacted they should just slip out. Geez, what are you like with the flu :rolleyes:.

I'm not joking...

8 teeth out for braces.
4 in the chair.
4 under general anaesthetic.

Those last 4 had to be broken up with hammer and chisel after the bone was also chiseled away.

I did all this at 27yo and it was one of the best things I ever did.
Just wish I had done it younger (when the parents would have paid for it :p)

Older two boys had braces. First one hardly needed them but had a couple of molars leaning inwards.

Next son had a small mouth and had four teeth out to give the others the space to be straightened. At 21 his teeth are pretty good, except where he damaged them when he rode his bike off a coffee table :eek:.

He has a metal retainer glued to the back of his bottom teeth and is supposed to wear a retainer at night, but he hasn't worn it for years and his teeth have not gone back to their crooked ways.

Youngest boy isn't interested in having braces but his teeth are pretty good... not "I've had braces" good, but pretty good.

I heard once that having wisdom teeth out should be all at once because it is so painful that you won't go back for the second pair. I only had one wisdom tooth and it was done with a local. I can still see the shiny hammer and chisel coming at me and feel the hammering... I swelled up both sides and swelled up totally, black and blue and had to sleep sitting up for a week.

I had six teeth out before braces. Some were wisdom? Can't remember? About 35 years ago. I've got great teeth now and haven't been to a dentist since braces off.

See ya's.

I had a couple out under GA 35 years ago before braces. It gave me straight teeth and no gaps.

Not pleasant at the time but glad now that I was put through it.

Just a thought..

Hi.
If an orthodontist has evaluated your son's dentition and determined that there is insufficient room for all the teeth and that some need to be removed, I would follow their advice. None of us here have the benefit of clinically and radiographically evaluating your son's teeth.

As far as the extractions go, everyone is different in terms of the difficulty of the extractions, and their anxiety related to the procedure. Some people choose to have a couple removed at a time under local anaesthesia. Others prefer to have all four removed under Intravenous sedation or General Anaesthesia (or even local anaesthesia). This should all be discussed with the patient at the consultation appointment, where all the various options should be presented.

I am sure that a great result will be achieved in the long run. It is much easier to do this now while he is young, rather than a decade or two down the track.

Hiya

Yesterday i took my teenage son to have 2 permanent teeth extracted as the orthodontist said his mouth is too crowded...

I nearly fainted in the dentist room :eek:

I am such a nervous wreck now....

For those of you who have done this, please reassure me i have done the right thing...

He has to have another 2 taken out next week....

Been down this road a few times, OK, lets get to the nitty gritty, how much??? I don't have private cover, I just spent $7,000 daughter no. 2, daughter no. 1 4,500, do it sooner than later, costs keep going up. :)

Last edited:
I had braces at age 34..also wish I had them earlier :)
Removed 5 teeth altogether, under IV sedation.
I still keep the glued on retainer wire which is behind my bottom front teeth.
Wore the mouth retainer for years at night, then decided 10 years was enough. They haven't moved.

All 4 of our kids had braces.
Only one didn't need any teeth removed, until he was 16. They always recommend removing wisdom teeth before they erupt.

We had IV sedation for wisdom teeth for them too.
Only one child didn't wear his retainer afterwards, and so I tooth went a bit crooked, but only minor compared to what it looked like before.

Well worth the money spent.
We didn't have insurance for this either.
We did get a family discount :)

Stepdaughter had 4 removed to make room - only drama was she had a bleed on the way out of the dentist office - but in the end she has lovely straight teeth and a retaining wire across the back of them (no night retainer required).

I'd say "go for it"

panic?

Hiya

Just want to say a big "THANK YOU" to all who have taken time to reply...it was so reassuring to a mum who just loves her son too much...(is there such a thing?:D)

i went into panic mode when i saw my son's mouth with the 2 gaps in front...taking out four healthy permanent teeth seems so...PERMANENT:eek:

I thought i have made the wrong choice and have affected his looks and speech for life:eek:

(BTW people have commented he looks like Keanu Reefe and a 6 footer too:p)

Now i have to grill myself for the next visit for the other 2 teeth to be taken out....this is worse than childbirth i reckon:eek:

Back