Facebook - what a great resource

My alarm bells are ringing after spending a bit of time doing some tenant research on Facebook. :(

I'll be making phonecalls tomorrow to get an explanation, but at this stage what I'm being told by the property manager isn't lining up with what I'm reading on Facebook of tenant and part of it has to do with the property manager. I was told tenant was a certain age and given a name. I looked on Facebook only to find a different age and a different surname. The age has been explained as misreading of a number (fair enough, on it's own I would accept that). The propery manager said she didn't know the reason for the different surname. Ok, again maybe it's the other parent's name, fair enough explanation. BUT, upon further investigating I accidentally stumbled across a connection between property manager and tenant. They are friends, and it occurred quite some time ago, well before this tenant applied for property. The PM said she didn't know what the Facebook name was when I queried it, yet she's friends with this tenant using the name I queried. :mad:

My concern now is, if a new tenant has signed a lease to move into a property in a few weeks time and has paid bond but I have not yet signed the leases (they have been sent to me to be signed), am I legally bound by them? If this PM has deliberately lied to get a friend into a property, I'm assuming I should be concerned, and that there's a reason she's lied, otherwise I would have thought a recommendation from a PM as personally knowing someone would be a good thing (along with all the other normal checks), at least better than a random person? :confused:

Or, am I just stressing too much? Yes I am a stress head, and yes I am scared of getting a difficult tenant in because I know once they're in there they're hard to get out. I know that in time I will relax more, but I'm still new to the game, and still in the worry phase. :eek:

The PM said she didn't know what the Facebook name was when I queried it, yet she's friends with this tenant using the name I queried. :mad: o

This happens rather a lot. Rental managers who should be looking after OUR interests shouldn't be getting too chummy with tenants etc etc. It's no wonder rents do not go up as often as they should.

My alarm bells are ringing after spending a bit of time doing some tenant research on Facebook. :(

I'll be making phonecalls tomorrow to get an explanation, but at this stage what I'm being told by the property manager isn't lining up with what I'm reading on Facebook of tenant and part of it has to do with the property manager. I was told tenant was a certain age and given a name. I looked on Facebook only to find a different age and a different surname. The age has been explained as misreading of a number (fair enough, on it's own I would accept that). The propery manager said she didn't know the reason for the different surname. Ok, again maybe it's the other parent's name, fair enough explanation. BUT, upon further investigating I accidentally stumbled across a connection between property manager and tenant. They are friends, and it occurred quite some time ago, well before this tenant applied for property. The PM said she didn't know what the Facebook name was when I queried it, yet she's friends with this tenant using the name I queried. :mad:

My concern now is, if a new tenant has signed a lease to move into a property in a few weeks time and has paid bond but I have not yet signed the leases (they have been sent to me to be signed), am I legally bound by them? If this PM has deliberately lied to get a friend into a property, I'm assuming I should be concerned, and that there's a reason she's lied, otherwise I would have thought a recommendation from a PM as personally knowing someone would be a good thing (along with all the other normal checks), at least better than a random person? :confused:

Or, am I just stressing too much? Yes I am a stress head, and yes I am scared of getting a difficult tenant in because I know once they're in there they're hard to get out. I know that in time I will relax more, but I'm still new to the game, and still in the worry phase. :eek:

As you have raised the issue of age, you are opening yourself up to a discrimination suit (unless they are under 18).

As you have raised the issue of age, you are opening yourself up to a discrimination suit (unless they are under 18).

what ? is it discrimmination to notice by accident that tyour tenant's actual age is not the age on their application ?

that's all that's happened so far, she hasn't booted the tenant out becaue of their real age.

let's not jump the gun.

I don't think she's discriminating on age, just providing multiple examples of how deceiving the PM has been. If PM has lied about simple stuff like age and surname, what else is hidden (tenant's rental history, etc).

I'd probably first tripple check that the tenant and the person found on facebook are definitely the same person then tell the principal of the agency that tenant / PM relationship wasn't disclosed and they'd probably get fired.

Although, if you were someone like me (and many?) who has never used facebook I'd be none the wiser. If rent gets paid each week, then not a huge deal as long as it goes up in accordance with market rates and notices are served correctly if/when required.

II'd probably first tripple check that the tenant and the person found on facebook are definitely the same person then tell the principal of the agency that tenant / PM relationship wasn't disclosed and they'd probably get fired.

It is without a doubt the same person. Same partner name, they live in same area and comments on the wall talk about the actual house. I am going to give this PM a chance to explain and if I'm not satisfied I will take it up with the managing senior PM. You're right though about not knowing any better if I wasn't such a detective on Facebook and trusted what the PM said. People can't get much past me, I investigate things too well, and remember everything. I think that just gives me more to stress about, I need to relax. Thousands of people do this landlord thing successfully and reasonably worry free, I need to learn how to be one of them. :D

Thanks for the comments.

what ? is it discrimmination to notice by accident that tyour tenant's actual age is not the age on their application ?

that's all that's happened so far, she hasn't booted the tenant out becaue of their real age.

let's not jump the gun.

It's discrimmination if you reject a tenant application solely based on age. One may have an argument that the person lied about there age thus it's justified to reject the tenant because of the lie, but I wouldn't be even raising the issue of age in a public forum (or tenant lied about it) as it creates evidence and appearance one is rejecting a tenant simply on age. It's not an area I would want to have to deal with

That's all my point is. The chances it would be taken up is remote, however is still a chance.

It's discrimmination if you reject a tenant application solely based on age. One may have an argument that the person lied about there age thus it's justified to reject the tenant because of the lie, but I wouldn't be even raising the issue of age in a public forum (or tenant lied about it) as it creates evidence and appearance one is rejecting a tenant simply on age. It's not an area I would want to have to deal with

That's all my point is. The chances it would be taken up is remote, however is still a chance.

I think Biggles is concerned with the issue of the applicant giving out false information. She mentions both age and surname as being different.

It ties in with the concern that the PM may have a conflict of interest.

So no age discrimination that I can see - not that you need to give a reason
for knocking back an applicant.

Who would put their actual age and surname on FACEBOOK??? my gosh, this is appalling that you would even consider rejecting an application because of this. If they gave their real age and name on facebook then that would be more of a reason to not let them use your house as it shows there don't care about privacy, security and are basically stupid for showing their details online, especially facebook. :eek:

As for the friend issue, yes well business and friends don't mix and I would be much more concerned about this.

I certainly don't have my real age,birthday or last name on facebook.
I use to wonder why people would ring and text me wishing me a happy birthday on the wrong day and month.

If the tenants are friends with the REA,this could mean they are actually good tenants :D

I certainly don't have my real age,birthday or last name on facebook.

I have my name and birthday, but not the year I was born on Facebook. All my settings are set to private so only my friends can see it. I don't understand why people have everything public, but many many do, and I have no reason to doubt that these are false details. When I emailed the agent about the age thing, she admitted they got it wrong by misreading a number on the application.

Not sure why this has become an issue about the age, it's not. As I said in the opening post, if it was JUST that this number was misread I would have accepted that. It's that along with different name, and the agent lying to me about the name. She said she has no idea why the names are different but she's "friends" with the different name.

I agree that if the PM is friends with the tenant it could mean they're a good tenant which is why I don't understand why that wasn't disclosed to me. If they had initially said "I know this person and they're really good" that would have been a positive to me (if all the other usual stuff checked out too).

I know several people who have fake last names on facebook, I wouldn't be stressing about it too much until you can confirm that the facebook surname is the real one and not the one they put on the application.

As for them being friends, well that is up to you to decide if it bothers you enough to be a deal breaker.

I know several people who have fake last names on facebook,

Do all their siblings and parents also use the same fake surname? This person has a long list of relatives with this different name too. I'll stop stressing and just speak to the PM today, maybe all perfectly explainable. :)

Here I was thinking maybe my next IP will be in a regional place with better yield. I drove through Horsham (not where I'd necessarily look) yesterday and stopped by for a bite to eat. Oh my goodness, trying to select a tenant from the type of people there would give me a nervous break down. :eek:

Seeing as I've started this Facebook thread, just want to share another experience where I have used it as a tool in property investing.

I purchased a property a few months ago (different to one above). I decided to Facebook the vendor to see if they were spilling any information as to why they might be selling on their wall. Didn't get anything that useful, but I did discover that the vendor worked for the real estate agency that sold the property. The contract also had two names so I wasn't sure if that meant they were a couple or what their interests were, but Facebook revealed that the vendor was young and not in a relationship with the other vendor, so I took that to mean they were just two mates who had bought as tenants in common. Ok, minor information, but what I took from it was that when the selling agent said to me they had already had an offer of $X (what I wanted to offer) which was rejected, but agent said they might now be regretting turning the offer down and might accept it a second time (due to being his work colleague I thought there might have been a bit more honesty between them, rather than a vendor keeping their cards close to their chest from the agent). Initially I was put off by the fact the vendor worked at the real estate company, but then thought perhaps they'd be more realistic about what the market is doing and so that helped me stand absolutely firm in my one and only offer which is what I thought the property was worth. Also if they were just mates as tenants in common, then really any offer I made, they were only taking half each, so I thought if I were to offer an extra $5K would they really turn the offer down for really only $2.5K each.

So nothing major, but little bits of information on Facebook helped me to just stand my ground, and not cave into offering a little bit more to secure the deal and it worked. :)

I had never thought about using facebook for research before - great idea. I am sure there are so many 'inside' deals that take place between PM's and mates. I'm off to have a look at my current tenants now!

Not that I use FB all that often just a means to see pics of friends. But my FB page is an alias. And everything is set to private.

Wouldn't want people snooping about me on the web.

When working as a PM we have checked up on tenants on facebook, particularly when they were late with rent just to see what they were up to and if there were any comments about leaving etc.

Also once had some packages arrive for an ex tenant who we didn't have a forwarding address for, i facebooked them and got their new address... was great, sent the packages, and the debt collection notice for the unpaid rent :D ... nice how silly people can sometimes be....

Back