Fan or Aircon?

Our IP (4/2/2 house) in Edens Landing (Beenliegh, QLD) doesn't have any aircon or fans.

According to the agent it is a problem. It is about 12 years old & currently rented for $370 pw.

Cost of two fans to supply & install is about $650.00 where as cost of 6 kw Fujitsu Aircon is $2900.

Which way would you go?

Probably a/c. From what I've read on here, fans are those items that typically break and screw up. Plus a/c has a higher perceived value.

Why would you have to supply fans?? Depending on the area I don't think aircon will add rental value but it will make it easier to rent out, if that makes sense.

How about 3.5kw for living room only (unless its a massive open area) + ceiling fans for other rooms?

A/C's arent exactly cheap to run, so it may only be turned on for super hot days.

From what I've read on here, fans are those items that typically break and screw up.
Honestly I thought Air-cons give more trouble than fans!

Why would you have to supply fans??
You are right. People can easily buy one under $100.00!

Both? Fans for now. Aircon as well later on when you have the spare cash.
We will never have the spare cash :)
Less items the better.... so it is going to be either fan or air-con.

How about 3.5kw for living room only (unless its a massive open area) + ceiling fans for other rooms?
A/C's arent exactly cheap to run, so it may only be turned on for super hot days.
I have asked the agent to get a quote from Fujitsu directly. Hopefully they will tell us what size we need.
It is tenant's choice to run the air-con or not.
Air-con's cost is about $3000.00. That is about 8 weeks rent. If this can reduce the vacancy by 8 weeks over five year period then it should be fine.

Last edited:
I'm asked the agent to get a quote from Fujitsu directly. Hopefully they will tell us what size we need.
It is tenant's choice to run the air-con or not.
Air-con's cost is about $3000.00. That is about 8 weeks rent. If this can reduce the vacancy by 8 weeks over five year period then it should be fine.

Well this is the exact reason why i installed the air con in my IP.
I don't expect to get extra rent, but i do hope the place will be rented in 1 week instead of 3 weeks. At the same time, I hope by installing these little comforts, the tenant just stays (hence saving the 1 week rent +GST).

Ugh! The horried hot, sticky humidity of Beenleigh in summer (that's a longer QLD summer not the short summers of the southern states) and a family-sized house without even fans let alone air con - no wonder it sits vacant for a while.

Ideally, I'd got with both - ceiling fans for the bedrooms and one big air con for the main living room area.

Not having something to cool a QLD property in summer is like not having anything to heat a property in the southern states in winter.

Ugh! The horried hot, sticky humidity of Beenleigh in summer (that's a longer QLD summer not the short summers of the southern states) and a family-sized house without even fans let alone air con - no wonder it sits vacant for a while.

Ideally, I'd got with both - ceiling fans for the bedrooms and one big air con for the main living room area.

Not having something to cool a QLD property in summer is like not having anything to heat a property in the southern states in winter.

Exactly...

and an A/C?

Maybe. I've got to agree with spotless. AC for living areas and ceiling fans for bedrooms.

I don't know Edens Landing but a quick search says you are at the bottom end of rent for a 4 bed. Is your property at the bottom end of 4 beds for the area? Or is your rent (and time to rent) being dragged down by lack of cooling?

Why don't you ask your PM what the effect of c/fans and/or ac would do to the rent and speed of renting?

Cost of two fans to supply & install is about $650.00 where as cost of 6 kw Fujitsu Aircon is $2900.

6kw might be overkill unless you've got a huge living area. If you get 4 ceiling fans and ac installed in one go the unit cost will drop.

As a small bonus if you have AC then you now have heating. A little extra appeal for the 20 days a year a Brisbane home needs heating.

I would install one split in the living and a small one in the master. Would be less than $3k and prob gives the best bang for buck in terms of rental appeal imo.

I would install one split in the living and a small one in the master. Would be less than $3k and prob gives the best bang for buck in terms of rental appeal imo.

Sounds good to me.

In my home State Perth, I really don't think you can get away with not having aircon anymore, tenants expect this. Our summers are so damn hot and long.

$650 for 2 fans seems a bit dear. Normally $240 each including supply.
Fans are low maintenance and so are quality A/C units. Problem is most investors buy cheap A/C's and they don't last.
Other issue I've found is tenants don't seem to be able to change batteries in remotes and damage/lose them and they can be dear to replace.
Edens Landing is only really hot for 4 weeks a year (on average) yes an A/C would be attractive to a tenant and yes most rentals have them - however would you recoup the cost. That's the bottom line with any expenditure.
Cheers,
A.

and an A/C?

Hi Devank, 2900 for 6 kw Fujitsu sounds a bit high unless somesort of extreme installation.Good choice on the Fujitsu unit.I live in Shailer park part of Logan and have also Just started investing in property in Logan. I also own and operate Coldspace airconditioning we do lots of work for local retailers and builders. We are also Fujitsu warranty agents.
The problem is a lot of guys overcharge real estates with this sort of work.

We could assuming a standard installation supply and install a 7.1 kw Fujitsu inverter for around $2650 and then wire in a Energex peak smart module which will give you $250 cash back from energex and also you will receive a $200 cash rebate till end of June from Fujitsu. this would make your out of pocket cost approx $2200.00. Or maybe a 6 kw depending on what size living room there is for about 2k after the rebates. As its end of season now and our quiet times ahead till the winter heating season kicks in the Fujitsu and energex cash backs are worth it. You can deduct the full amount from your investment while putting the $450 cash back into your pocket.:D

My property manager tells me that we can increase the rent by about 10 bucks a week as well depending on the property etc.
We also do ceiling fans supplied and installed for $240 each.

If anyone else wants to take advantaged of these good cash back rebates along with a very competitive quote then please pm me , I would only be too happy to help and can deal direct with the property managers as we do some realty work as well.

Pm me if you want our details to arrange a Free quote. We are fully licensed and insured with 20 year experience and Rt Edwards preferred installers in the Logan area.

Regards

Matt

Last edited:
Hello Mat. Thanks for your comments. I know the quote I got was a bit high. Recently I installed two A/Cs in our place and it didn't cost much.

I think Fujitsu wants separate line to the switch board. Do you do that?

I'm thinking of 6 kW for the living and 1.5 kw for the master bed room. Can you use same remote controller for both if the models are different?

I sent you a PM.

Just closing off... Matt (Coldspace) installed two A/Cs on our property for a decent price. Tenants are very happy. Everything went very smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_7063.jpg
    IMG_7063.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 65
I'd make sure the A/C you choose has a fan only option. I've had tenants look at this to save on power.
I agree with the smaller one in the living area and one in the master. I actually got one for the master with 2 head units. One in the master and one in the bedroom next to it but only one outdoor unit. Cost an extra $450. It was also great for resale.

If you've had a quote more than 2yrs ago, you'd be surprised with the current pricing.

Also if you're in Qld, the peak period for rentals is Jan. If you do an open on the hot day or week, guess who will win.

Cheers.

I'd make sure the A/C you choose has a fan only option. I've had tenants look at this to save on power.
I agree with the smaller one in the living area and one in the master. I actually got one for the master with 2 head units. One in the master and one in the bedroom next to it but only one outdoor unit. Cost an extra $450. It was also great for resale.

If you've had a quote more than 2yrs ago, you'd be surprised with the current pricing.

Also if you're in Qld, the peak period for rentals is Jan. If you do an open on the hot day or week, guess who will win.

Cheers.
Extra $450 for another head unit in the bedroom.?

Must of been some no name brand and even then the installation on the second head unit would have been at least $450 extra. So more than likely going on even capacity to multi head to single head systems you would have been at least a grand more if using quality gear and indoor units were within 3 mtrs of the outdoor unit.

It's actually cheaper in the domestic world to install separate units if the installation works are apart and you use only first rate gear like Fujitsu/ Mitsubishi elec or Panasonics with fan only options as well , yes units are 100 to 200 dearer than 2 years ago due to the carbon pricing of the refrigerant gas they contain but the wholesalers are very competitive over last 12 months so prices have remained stable and installation costs have been same for last 3 odd years so prices have remained same give or take a buck over last 3 odd years.

If you were going multi head system to cover whole house you might as well put full ducted system in for slightly dearer cost but better resale value.

Multi has it place in commercial and in the llimited times it suits domestic your best to go with 1 or 2 splits on a rental with maybe some fans, and in a higher end property full ducted if it can be installed and I stress, use quality efficient gear for performance, future parts availability , and future resale positives.

Multi is good for some townhouses and units with body corp requirements.

There are numerous systems and options out there to suit all properties/ budjets, just make sure your installer holds a full RAC license and not just a " restricted splits install only license " which alot of guys are getting so you can get him back for future repairs/ service work etc legally and also knowing the installer is full trade qualified and not some weekend warrior out to make a quick buck. I have seen some seriously stuffed up jobs in my travels out there and fixed many up or ripped them out and started again.

Rewind 6 years ago and you were paying close to 50 to 80 percent more for AC with less efficient machines, ;)

It's a no brainer now in good rental properties as they are tax deductable, adds value to house, and keeps good tenants happy as well as keeping me in a job:D

Last edited:
Back