Fat Club - lost 100kg's

the new diet i have desighned for my wife was called the eat less diet it is working realy well go figure, mind the pun???

Hormones, Mark, hormones. I am thin by today's average (size 10 - 12) - actually an 11; so I do know about healthy diet and activity and am over the 40 years hump well and truly, but even so, the calories/exercise equation does not hold true once you hit the dreaded M phase. Try explaining why, when consumption of animal fats hasnt changed in years, women's cholesterol rises when menopause hits! A known and documented fact independent of diet.

My mum - who is in her late 50's (but shhh, don't let her know I told you that, she'll kill me *wink*) did Cohen's last year. She looks better now than she has in a very long time (don't tell her I told you that, either). But seriously, she really does. She looks vibrant, healthy, she has a really nice skin tone (if that makes sense).

Proper diet and exercise will benefit anyone of any age. That's just fact. By the way - congrats on keeping such a slim figure! In this day and age of easy meals and fast food, keeping trim is becoming incresingly difficult for many people.

Mark

My mum - who is in her late 50's

:eek: Ha, my secret!

Proper diet and exercise will benefit anyone of any age. That's just fact. By the way - congrats on keeping such a slim figure! In this day and age of easy meals and fast food, keeping trim is becoming incresingly difficult for many people.

Hey thanks, but the last five years has been a struggle, and I havent changed anything yet bit by bit the kilos creep up. So there really is more going on.

One thing I have thought over the years, is that everyone would love to eat what they want, when they want. My weaknesses are hot chips, Farmers Union Iced Coffee, and creamy Indian curries, vanilla squares and chocolate. And champagne. But I usually say no, leave it for another day and dont indulge unless it is a treat time. I do wonder whether obese people think they are the only ones who get cravings for the 'good stuff' and they dont say no, and think people who control their weight dont get the same urges.

I'm with Kristine and Dose, Cohens.

I lost 22kg in 18 weeks, got pregnant, had baby and just lost another 8kg's post baby weight.

It's a tough slog, but well worth the effort.

I lost 35kgs a few years ago in about 3 months. (summer of 2005)

I went on the quickloss program from Sureslim. I found the program quite easy to maintain, you buy your own food and everything, all they give you is a list of foods to buy and grams to eat based on your blood test results.

The program costs about $800 and last for 12 months which includes weekly weigh-ins and meetings with the staff. The food is not boring and easily brought from coles or safeway, you just have to follow some basic rules like 3 meals a day only, 5 hour gap betwwen meals, first mouth full must be protein, 2 litres of water, habe to have some seeds and oil everyday.

I was not that strict on the program, did not exercise hardly and always eat what I wanted on saturday nights and still lost 35 kgs in 3 months. I think it is usally 90% diet and 10% exercise. I was losing between 2-4kg a week, the first week when you detox and loss water I lost 5.5kg.

It is interesting - it seems that for successful diets, a period of de-toxing/cleansing seems to kick start the whole diet/losing weight process. Kind of like going cold turkey, then starting again, as opposed to other diets that have no detox start, but just start to count calories. Maybe you do need to do detox first? I know that I can really enjoy the taste of food now, even salads, whereas before detox I just didn't!

Yum, I love salads. I was craving a nice greek salad for breakfast this morning but I forced down some pancakes as I am trying to put on weight. I am lucky to have a metabolism that makes it near impossible to gain weight, but I also notice that I just don't like junk food and feel ill if I eat much of it.

At the moment I am 14 weeks pregnant and weigh less than I did in highschool. I love veges, fruit, rice and salads. My Mum, who struggles with her weight loves and craves custard tarts, chocolate and bakery treats. I am going to have a look at the Cohens suggestion and tell her about it.

Louise

BUT - a week ago I started on the Lemon Detox diet (the real one with Madan Bal syrup)

pushka - do you have a link?

i've been on the low carb diet and although my weight is being maintained, i don't seem to be losing any (although i haven't given up wine and a hot chocolate a day).

i've noticed hitting 40 does make a difference in the body - metabolism slows, eyes get strained easily, varacose veins getting operated on tomorrow purely for pain reasons ...

I am 41, and have lost 13kg in the last 14 weeks (95 to 82kg)...

I am doing nothing out of the ordinary and I am no diet expert, however ..

- eating more regular smaller meals / snacks.. The snacks are basically just big bowls of fruit. Cutting nearly all bread and cakes etc out of my diet.
- 30min excercise daily.. (Usually 3km jog plus 10min weights)

What helped was the advice that eating less often normally causes weight gain, where you slow down your metabolism.

Also, often weight gain could be an issue with the glands, which would need medical advice,,

Rob

i reckon if you cut out most of your sugar, salts, bad fats, highly processed foods and alco you're already half way there.
then throw in some resistance training & cardo and you'll be sweet.

hi guys,

Good on you Jess- you should be very proud of your achievement and keep going girl. It is easy to slide back into old habits.

Here is something you may not know:

Fat Cells don't go away. The merely "deflate". I believe they have an awefully good memory.:(

Diet and exercise. BOTH are important. A few of you know I had my thrid baby seven months ago (wow that has gone fast!) I stack the weight on pretty fast in pregnancy and it is an intense struggle and continual battle for me to get it off and keep it off.

I'm a Group Fitnees Instructor in my spare time, so I eat and breath exercise...yet I still put on 15kg's every time I get pregnant. I was cycling and Boxing right up until 4 weeks before the baby is born, yet I still had 15 kg's left over. (Babie 's are never small- First one 10lb+:p).

What alot of people don't realise when gaining or losing weight is your genetic makeup and metabolism can also play a big part in how your body breaks down food.

Some women are blessed with a fast metabolism and fantastic genetics and they seem to just bounce back after pregancy. I am NOT one of them.

I have got it worked out now, having lost 8kg's in the past 4 months and have only 7kg's to go. It is a battle though. Whoever said breast feeding gets the weight off was either fibbing or very lucky. It has NEVER worked for me and it actuallly makes me hungrier!:eek:

I managed to put a diet together after my second baby and put it into a book form. I'll .pdf it to you, jess. Bear with me as the .pdf is on my other computer at work - will get to it this week sometime.

I have also heard the lemon detox is good, and it has reminded me what a great anti-oxident lemon is. I now add half a lemon's juice to most of my water.

I could rave on forever about diet and exercise as i mentioned, I live and breathe it.

regards JO

I'm a Group Fitnees Instructor in my spare time, so I eat and breath exercise...yet I still put on 15kg's every time I get pregnant. I was cycling and Boxing right up until 4 weeks before the baby is born, yet I still had 15 kg's left over. (Babie 's are never small- First one 10lb+:p).
Heh, I've gained 20kg both times I got pregnant (to the gram). And I started at 50 and 55 kg respectively so that's like half my bodyweight :eek:

Yeah, I've gone on a diet.
I've gone onto low carb beer. :)
See ya's.

Well, I feel like a bit of a dill.

fokas sent me a message and said, "Mate, don't you realise that low carb beers still had the same amount of calories". :eek:

So a bit of research, like as in looking at the info on the stubbie bottles, showed me that fokas was indeed correct.

So, in a devastated tone I mentioned to the lovely wife that she may as well buy me that normal beer from now on, as that low carb stuff was just a rort. She replied that she would continue buying the low carb beer, as she likes it, but more importantly, it's reduced my snoring. :)

So, a good ending anyway.

See ya's.

A few years ago I lost 15kg in 15 weeks.

I went on Easyslim. It's similar to Weight watchers.

The thing I like about it is that you just eat healthy food. No gimmicks or weird things to eat.
Instead of cake for morning tea I had a banana. I switched to 3 pieces of fruit a day and more veges and less meat. I was never hungry.

It's stuck with me. I still eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I have put a little back on (I love chocolate) so I'm cutting out the chocolate again.

A lot of these fad diets work but you can't maintain that type of eating. Just eat healthy food and get some exercise.

It wasn't until I started the diet that I realised the calories in some things. You think "Oh it's only a small hamburger" then you realise it's half your calorie intake for the day. It opened my eyes.

It's not always just about the diet, if you're fat, you need to change your lifestyle.

Make physical activity a habit and stick to it and let if become part of your lifestyle.

So many fat people go on the many diets claiming to drop plenty of weight, but a year or 2 later they are just back to where they were before or even fatter.

If you become fitter and gain some lean muscle mass and drop the fat, then you can eat more and cheat more with your meals.

No point just dropping your calories without physical activity to lose weight, you'll just become skinny-fat with low energy, and that's a bad look.

Back