Favourite documentaries

I had been watching Grand Designs both UK and Oz and loving it. Now, I just began to watch Megastructures and loving it as well. I basically like watching any financial, economics, property related docos.

What about you guys?

I had been watching Grand Designs both UK and Oz and loving it. Now, I just began to watch Megastructures and loving it as well. I basically like watching any financial, economics, property related docos.

What about you guys?

Anything by Ken Burns, but particularly his Civil War series.
All of Attenborough's stuff, but particularly Life of Earth.
A series from the mid-eighties called The Day the Universe Changed by a science historian called James Burke.
Military history docos generally.

For fun, the TV genre best described as World's Blankiest Blanks

There was a great doco on last night about the Crazy Horse strip club and caberet in France.

A visit there is now on my bucket list.

I really like "the Long Way Down" and "the Long Way Round".
I'm not at all in motorbikes, but its very interesting to see the different countries and how they manage to meet ordinary and extraordinary people.

I like most of the Lifestyle shows in small amounts, particularly Phil and Kirsty. I like Trinny and Susannah as well........

David Attenborough - everything, so much respect for this guy
There is this one series about moving buildings and what not, can't remember what it's called - awesome.
Until The Light Takes Us - Nordic Black Metal doco
Carl Sagan - Cosmos, what a legend
Stephen Hawking - Into The Universe (haven't watched yet, but I can't imagine anything with Stephen Hawking not being totally ruling)
Zombiemania - about zombie movies, prepare for the Zompocalypse people, it's coming
American Gangster
Serial Killers - series about well... Serial Killers
The Universe - bit hit and miss, but pretty good overall

The BBC's 13 part documentaries starting with Civilisation in 1969 (the history of art), America and The Ascent of Man (the history of science) are absolutely brilliant - I can't emphasise this enough. Also the Connections series and The Day the Universe Changed. The Attenborough classics such as Life on Earth are also 13 parts. The Blue Planet which he narrated is a standout.The more recent ones have fewer parts but still are quite interesting, such as The Incredible Human Journey, Opera Italia, etc.

PBS's Cosmos is brilliant. They also have many other high quality documentaries as well.

Channel 4 has some good documentaries too. Niall Ferguson's War of the World, Ascent of Money and Civilization are very good.

Anthing nature. David Rabbitburra is a classic.

Loved "Wild Kingdom" as a kid on Sunday nights in mee peejays.

Love Grand Designs and Man V Wild (even though some of it is staged).

I'd also call Myth Busters a docco - bit if a stretch. :D

My most memorable was a docco in Africa called "The Crocodile's Last Dinner" or something like that. Amazing.

Anything science, maths, medical, archaeology, anthropology, nature, history (especially British), genealogy, anything about the human body and human mind, .......

They're usually presented by people such as Marcus Du Sautoy, Brian Cox, Michael Mosely, David Attenborough etc.

Some favourites -
The Story of Science (Michael Mosely)
The Story of Maths (Marcus Du Sautoy)
Time Team (Tony Robinson)
Blood and Guts-The History of Surgery (5 part series) (Michael Mosely)
Medical Mavericks (4 part series about the researchers/doctors who experimented on themselves and changed the course of medicine in anaesthesia, vaccines, diet and disease, infection) (Michael Mosely)
Homo Futurus (doco about how the human skull shape has changed and why, and what they predict we'll look like in the future)
Some of Brian Cox's - Can We Make A Star On Earth, What Time Is It, What On Earth Is Wrong With Gravity, Wonders of the Solar System

Other - The Human Family Tree, Skin Deep, The Secret Life of your Body Clock, Did Cooking Make Us Human

So many more........................

Thanks for the heads up on your fav docos.

I've been watching the ascent of money, david attenborough and will check out the other stuff. ;)

Man V Wild (even though some of it is staged).

Some :p. I thought this show was awsome till around the second or third episode where I thought, hmmm... then husband told me he saw a blooper, where the camera scanned around and caught sight of a servo in the distance. That was it for me :(.

On that theme, Man v Food is pretty unreal too :eek:.

Not exactly a doco but "Hotel Rwanda" gives an insight into the tragedy in Rwanda like a fact filled documentary never could.

I remember watching it on a return flight to Australia from Hong Kong being very hung over but it cut straight through and left a mark on me like no other movie ever has.

Back