Feature walls

Hi all,

I've got a kitchen and bedroom that could use a touch up of paint since the last tenant vacated.

I was going to go all one colour, but then thought I could try a feature wall in each room of a different colour.

Just curious about peoples opinion on feature walls - are they still popular? Getting dated now?

Cheers,
Keith

we do not like them. yes it looks dated. often in hideous colours or/and that textured look.
but guess its a matter of taste.

I guess a feature wall could work - I think it depends on where it is. For my development we have an ugly fence that borders the neighbours. We will probably put a feature wall there to make it look more attractive and give the place a better feel...

If its a rental,same color throughout is recommended,

If its your own PPOR you can do any thing to suit your own tastes,

I done two Feature walls alone last week for customers ,one was Metallic Moon and the other Bright red,

I agree, feature walls have been out for a while.

The only way I like to see them though, is if say a room is done in 1/4 strength Hog Bristle and then one wall is done in 1/2 or full strength Hog Bristle to give it a bit more depth, and a slight difference.

You have no idea the amount of times I do a feature wall for someone in a dining room and it is in dark red. They cannot understand why they go for it, but it is usually the colour that you associate with food and feeling hungry.

I agree, feature walls have been out for a while.

The only way I like to see them though, is if say a room is done in 1/4 strength Hog Bristle and then one wall is done in 1/2 or full strength Hog Bristle to give it a bit more depth, and a slight difference.

You have no idea the amount of times I do a feature wall for someone in a dining room and it is in dark red. They cannot understand why they go for it, but it is usually the colour that you associate with food and feeling hungry.

I painted my unit with all the left over paint from my parents renovation - all the colours were done by a colourist/interior designer so they all more or less worked together or blended well one room into another - I saved lotsa $$$ Mum and Dads place is Federation so the feature is the bit between the picture rails and the ceiling/cornice - no whole walls are features.

I :heart: Hog Bristle - whcih is an excellent suggestion - my walls are either 1/2 or 1/4 strength - honestly cant remember back to 4 years ago.

I however have two feature walls because it worked out that way in the left over paint department - in the spare room one wall is a slightly darker shade of light green than the others - no idea what it was called - you almost don't notice it ... and in my main bedroom which has a really dark red which I think is called Marakesh Red ... it works with my inherited brass antique bed and garage sale antique wardrobe ... but for a rental I would agree with everyone else ... I would stick with as neutral a colour palette as possible ...

The last place I lived which I rented was YELLOW in every single room ... yellow everywhere ... after a year you stopped noticing it mostly .. oh with dark blue carpet ... AND I bought a red fabric lounge from ikea on sale - ex floor stock - I would have prefered a neutral colour lounge, but they only had dark red and I loved the shape and the size and comfort of it and most of all the price ... So yellow walls, blue carpet and a red lounge :eek: ... stick with Hog Bristle!

Last edited:
Back