Fed up with REA's

I am in the process of looking for another IP and I don't know if it is me but everytime I find a property that I am interested in ( after a lot of research) I phone the agent to arrange a viewing and repeatedly get told come along to the opens on the weekend. I am not asking to see loads of properties just the odd one but here in Adelaide I am rapidly coming to the conclusion they are all lazy a***s. When I brought my other ip's the agents were only happy to arrange individual viewing times with the vendors, but now it is a different story. I might add that this has been the case for the last 5 properties I have been interested in. I have also left my details with the agents in the areas I am looking at only to find properties coming onto the market that they can't even be bothered to email me about. Ok rant over but lazy agents really annoy me!
specul8:mad:

heya,

unfortunately there are so many agents out there like this - its gives us all a bad name.

if you ever come to brisbane to look, give me a holler and i'd be glad to drive you around to see whatever you like, when you like - i'd even shout you a coffee!! :)

it seems that in the boom times, the agents with a good professional service are few and far between - it really ticks me off!

I hope you find a decent agent to look after you soon!!

cheers

I've not yet bought a house from an open house viewing. I go along to open houses occasionally just to keep up with what is being asked for what. Most of my purchases have been from finding the property in the paper or seeing the for sale sign & making an appointment to inspect. One was even bought from the agent who had sold me another earlier, knew I was always looking & rang me about the new property the minute it was listed.
If they won't make appointments for you vent your steam by saying something like "Well, (name opposition REA) has a good one for sale, I think I'lll buy through them."

Good REA in Frankston

I have nothing but praise for the REA I used to recently buy two IP's in Frankston. We saw both before they were advertised or indeed photographed. We put in offers on the spot and got good advice on price.

We did go through a couple of others beforehand and much the same - 'it's Open for Inspection at the weekend come along then.'

My REA now calls me if he thinks he has something of interest....excellent service.

Incidentally they have arguably the best PM's in the area....Cathy and Barbara...

I think like in any sales industry you will come across people who are lazy and just want to get by making minimum $$$ and then there is the opposite end of the scale where agents go out of there way to provide the best service possible to both agent and buyer.

I think that some agents fail to see the bigger picture and forget that although you are currently looking to buy who knows in a few years you may be a vendor and what hope do they have of ever getting your listing :)

Hey JOJO,

I'm with you. I used Andrew Milne R/E in Frankston to by an IP in Frankston too with very good results. I am also using Cathy and Barbara as my PM's. Tenant moves in this week - see how we go.

sq

If there is one particular agent that is driving you mad, and the property is owner occupied, a short note in the letter box will stir things up. Although that agent might not speak to you ever again.

I had the same problem with a property I was looking at last month (in Adelaide too), had to chase the agent to make app. etc.

Then I made an offer, he took it, said he'll call me. 3 days later still had'nt heard anything, so I called him. He said he was sick and another agent from his office handled the property, they already had a signed contract with another buyer - they did'nt even come back to me for a counter offer??!!

Oh well, there's plenty of property out there - I only need a small portion of it! :D

steveadl what ever happened to common courtesy - a phone would have been appropiate from the agents end to let you know what was happening. Obviously an agent who is there for the minimum $$. I do like your additude about there being plenty of property out there and only needing a portion of it. It puts things in perspective but gees i would have been fuming :mad:

Vodka,

Believe me I was!! Even if they thought I would'nt go higher, it's still just a courtesy thing like you mentioned!

Didn't even mention that I left a couple of messages for him to call me back, which he didn't. I finally got a hold of him after trying a 3rd time on another day! Problem in Northern Adelaide at the moment is that the market is so hot, the REA's know they can do pretty much whatever they feel like, cos they know there are 5 buyers for every house. Service goes down the toilet!

Oh well, at least I can start a list of agents that will never be selling or leasing my properties for me :)

We now try and go direct to the Seller. Cut the agent out completely. At the end of the day, there are only two signatures on the Contract for Sale.

One is the Purchaser's and the other is the Sellers. Everyone else standing in the room, (REA's, solicitors etc) are either blockers to the deal or mere onlookers.....no matter what type of suit or tie they have on.

The other advantages of dealing with the Seller directly are ;

1. They know the property way better (historically and factually) than someone just propped in front with a suit on. When you ask a detailed question about the actual property, you usually get an accurate response, rather than a "I'm not sure, I'll get back to you on that...{If I feel you are worth it, muttered under their breathe}.
2. You get to your decision point much quicker. Feedback time is almost instantaneous.
3. Most of the lies, fluff, gloss, lies, showmanship, lies, ego, bravado, lies, blocking tactics, lies, dutch auctioning, false promises, lies.....oh and did I mention LIES are eliminated.
4. Most of the Sellers we deal with are extremely competent negotiators and business people who do not need some clown who is usually 20 or 30 years younger than them 'representing their best interests'.

The disadvantage is that you can't go surfing the net over the other side of the country. This is easier of course, and involves minimal work justing sitting on your bum staring into a computer, so no doubt most people will take this easier option...and hence, will need to either be happy with or put up with the REA. Bliss.

If only more people sold their own property, life would be better for both the Seller and the Purchaser. Unfortunately, all it takes is a few gullible or naive Seller's to be crushed in the "process", have a little whinge to anyone who'll listen about how they've been ripped off, and suddenly the great white knights on their REA horses come striding to the rescue.

This attitude of course has now proliferated to all facets of the property transaction process. You've now got agents coming out the ying yang for every conceivable thing you could possibly think of.

Sellers agents
Buyers agents
Mortgage brokers
Insurance brokers
Managing agents
Settlement agents
Solicitors
.....the list is by no means exhaustive

All standing in the way of the Seller and the Purchaser transacting the deal. All standing there with their hand out.....for only one low low fee, or better still, someone else pays and all of this marvellous smorgasbord of services is totally cost and obligation free.....you honestly don't pay a thing for any of it, not anywhere down the chain. We all love you very much and we like helping and working for you for free.

I saw a pleasing ad in the paper the other week. Seller calling for offers. If interested, present offer in writing to such and such PO Box number with x amount of days. Seller will respond in writing. No agents needed or tolerated.

I thought - bewdiful. Now here's someone who can actually stand on their own two feet with the need for "advice" or "representation". What's the world coming to. I can just hear all of the gaggle of agents now..."He'll be sorry for sure."

I have nothing but praise for the REA I used to recently buy two IP's in Frankston. We saw both before they were advertised or indeed photographed. We put in offers on the spot and got good advice on price.

We did go through a couple of others beforehand and much the same - 'it's Open for Inspection at the weekend come along then.'

My REA now calls me if he thinks he has something of interest....excellent service.

Incidentally they have arguably the best PM's in the area....Cathy and Barbara...

I would agree with you JOJO. Andrew Milne Real Estate are an honest agency. I have never bought through them simply because they didn't have what I was looking for at the time. However, Andrew showed me many properties and was always very professional. He asked me if I would be interested in having my IP's managed by his agency a long time ago. At that time I said no, I was happy with the agency I was with. Well that soon changed, and I made the switch. Couldn't be happier. Cathy and Barbara are fantastic property managers.

Regards Jason.

I would agree with you JOJO. Andrew Milne Real Estate are an honest agency. I have never bought through them simply because they didn't have what I was looking for at the time. However, Andrew showed me many properties and was always very professional. He asked me if I would be interested in having my IP's managed by his agency a long time ago. At that time I said no, I was happy with the agency I was with. Well that soon changed, and I made the switch. Couldn't be happier. Cathy and Barbara are fantastic property managers.

Regards Jason.

I have Andrew Milne managing all of my properties in Frankston even though I bought only 1 through them.

They are by far the best property managers in Frankston and provide similar levels of service that I am used to with agents managing my IP's in inner melb blue chip suburbs.

Would recommend them highly for any prospective buyer looking to buy in Frankston.

Cheers
Harris

When selling an IP 5 yrs or so ago, we were over at the property giving it a spruce up. Got a knock at the door and it turned out to be some interested buyers. They'd made an appointment to view the property with the REA who didn't turn up. Anyway, we showed them through, they made an offer and after a bit of negotiation we made a deal. We didn't have an Offer & Acceptance form and having signed the REA that meant we had to pay commission so we decided to let the REA organise the signing of the O&A. While the purchasers were still with us, I rang the REA and basically said "thanks for not bothering to turn up for the viewing, but we've made a deal anyway. Please organise the O&A". The agent apologised and arranged a time to meet with the purchases to get things moving. After three days we hadn't heard anything, our messages had gone unanswered and naturally we were getting anxious. Finally on the third day I managed to get hold of the REA only to learn that she'd stood the purchases up yet again and at that point still didn't have a signed O&A. Realising she'd stuffed up big time she finally contacted the buyers only to be told by them that they had reconsidered and decided not to go ahead with the deal. In the end it cost us another month and $7K.

My hubby went to the dealer principal and did the block but when he said he was "sacking" the agency they reckoned we couldn't do it as we had a signed exclusive agreement and whether we sold privately or through another REA we would still have to pay them a commission. Being a bit naive we backed down but if we had our time again we definitely would have tested the integrity of the agency agreement. I doubt the agency would have a leg to stand on considering their conduct to that point. Anyway, our listing was handed to another agent who we were very happy with but we still hated having to pay any commission at all to the agency.

Flatout

heya,

unfortunately there are so many agents out there like this - its gives us all a bad name.

if you ever come to brisbane to look, give me a holler and i'd be glad to drive you around to see whatever you like, when you like - i'd even shout you a coffee!! :)

it seems that in the boom times, the agents with a good professional service are few and far between - it really ticks me off!

I hope you find a decent agent to look after you soon!!

cheers

Hi U.C.

Although this is my first post, I have been following the discussion in here for few months. Could I have your details so I can contact you in July when I am up there?

Cheers
Y.C.

Hiya Specul8,

1. Are these Re agents whom irked you, all from Victoria?

2. If they are, I will not be personally surprised in this case.

3. If the Re agent has deliberately "under-quoted" the property in the first place (and I suspect this could have been the case for the last 5 properties which you were interested) since price under-quoting seems to be common practice among many RE agents in Victoria at this point in time, I will naturally expect the RE agent to answer you as such, as this is indeed part of the actual game plan that he has set up for the unkowning buyers, to become his "victims".

4. For your kind update and further considerations, please.

5. Thank you.

Cheers,
Kenneth KOH

Glad I'm not alone!

hi Kennethkohsg,
All the agents I dealt with are from S.Adelaide ( which is not experiencing the 'boom' that N.Adelaide is although it is ticking over quite nicely).Your comment about under quoting was certainly true for one of the properties, it also applied to the first ip I ever brought way underpriced by over $50,000Q! That's a story in itself ( agent messed me around big time as he wanted the property for his son,took a couple of calls to his boss to finally sort it out).

Urban Cowboy would love for you to pm me as I am begining to look elswhere as confidence grows.
Thanks everyone

specul8

Back