Feedback on singing

Hi RH.

Is that really you?

All I can say is, life is too short to not do what you love. If singing gives you pleasure, go for it. :D

Caroline

Wow, you're awesome RH, I especially love the hand motions. In fact, I might get rid of all my cd's and just start listening to you from now on.

Regards
Marty

Good on you RH.

I had a quick listen to Mariah Carey's version of the song, posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoBdt9L_DPA

Just a few things I noticed:

1) Mariah has complete control of her breathing, leading to clearer phrasing, articulation of the words and true pitch.

2) Mariah sings right through to the end of each phrase - completing the phrase if you will. Her pitch at the end of each phrase is always true. That is mainly due to her breath control and using her diaphragm correctly at all times.

3) I'd probably recommend reducing your hand movement in places. It looks a little excessive and detracts from your singing.

4) Mariah sings 'ooh' at the very beginning then changes to 'aah'. - You sing 'aah' at the start. Mariah's 'ooh' is completly in tune. Your 'aah' is not! Perhaps begin with 'ooh' at the opening of the song as this will help with the pitch.

5) Take out the 'yeah' in the introduction.

6) Your pitch tends to be sharp. Developing breath control will help. Do you do singing exercises? Try Conconians - these really help.

7) The ending is meladramatic. Tone it down!

8) Listen to Mariah's version and take notes! She has obviously had extensive singing lessons and vocal training over the years and has developed significant technique.

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
Great post above Jason, that's what a mate would do I think. It shows you've taken it seriously and were very thoughtful. I'll give you kudos when I finish this.

As for the singing, well as I am a TERRIBLE singer I actually thought it wasn't too bad. It takes guts to put it out there like that so good on you.

Oh, Caroline, you are sweet.

ROTFLMAO

Holden

Wow, you're awesome RH, I especially love the hand motions. In fact, I might get rid of all my cd's and just start listening to you from now on.

Regards
Marty

Dicko

Good on you RH.

I had a quick listen to Mariah Carey's version of the song, posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoBdt9L_DPA

Just a few things I noticed:

1) Mariah has complete control of her breathing, leading to clearer phrasing, articulation of the words and true pitch.

2) Mariah sings right through to the end of each phrase - completing the phrase if you will. Her pitch at the end of each phrase is always true. That is mainly due to her breath control and using her diaphragm correctly at all times.

3) I'd probably recommend reducing your hand movement in places. It looks a little excessive and detracts from your singing.

4) Mariah sings 'ooh' at the very beginning then changes to 'aah'. - You sing 'aah' at the start. Mariah's 'ooh' is completly in tune. Your 'aah' is not! Perhaps begin with 'ooh' at the opening of the song as this will help with the pitch.

5) Take out the 'yeah' in the introduction.

6) Your pitch tends to be sharp. Developing breath control will help. Do you do singing exercises? Try Conconians - these really help.

7) The ending is meladramatic. Tone it down!

8) Listen to Mariah's version and take notes! She has obviously had extensive singing lessons and vocal training over the years and has developed significant technique.

Regards Jason.

Marcia

Holden

Dicko

Marcia

Vincenzo, you're out of touch. Holden is long gone.

RH, you sure have guts putting that up on here. :D Kudos for the bravery. I can give some advice as I have had singing training and used it professionally in the past.

The others are spot on. Practice your breathing - your voice sits on the breath. Try to sing onto your pallate (behind your top teeth) rather than in your throat. This will give you better projection and clarity. You have a beautiful voice but you need to control it. Try keeping the hand movements out of it at this stage until the voice is trained. Try to master less complicated songs.

To be blunt - you are a long way from impressing people but I applaud you for the effort. And I love the sunnies. :D

Keep up the practice and post some updates on your improvement from time to time. Look forward to your ongoing development. All the best, RS :)

I have to reveal that i have been lieing to you... it's not me.. :D
Phew. I initially thought your initial post was a gee-up, that's why I posted my sarcastic post. When people started congratulating you, I thought uh-oh...foot in mouth moment.

And yes, I did think the Korean writing was a bit of a giveaway.

Regards
Marty

I can't believe how many people you had going, RH. I got kudos for being so tactful, then had to tell the person who gave me kudos "Um, he's TAKING THE ****!" :D

It was hook, line and sinker for me. :eek:
Pity, I did think there was a sweetness in the dudes voice which had potential. The first few seconds were the best - then it gradually deteriorated from there. Hope it makes him happy. Wonder how much he paid to get into the recording studio? :)

I would like to thank you for your encouraging words.
I have to reveal that i have been lieing to you... it's not me.. :D RH

I'm so glad you've said this!

As a Professional singer, I really didn't want to write anything negative about the performance, so left it alone for others to comment.

Good joke though. :)

LOL! I didn't know what to think. I thought you might be having a go, but I wasn't sure, so didn't post as I didn't want to offend.

Afternoon everyone,

I would like to thank you for your encouraging words.
I have to reveal that i have been lieing to you... it's not me.. :D

i thought the korean writing on the side would have given it away.

I NEED YOU BACK IN MY LIFE BABY

Here is another one of my classic hits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74RJ4QJfKXY

RH

Hi RH,

Whether it is you or not, I still stand by my feedback that I gave to the performer.

I am a music teacher and accompany/assess student's performances regularly - this was a piece of cake! As for the Korean writing, asian people often use chinese characters.

Perhaps we will hear one of your authentic recordings some time! :D

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
yeah if it wasn't for the korean writing, I'd have thought it was real, when I read the comments that the singer ought to learn enlgish better I sort of clicked.. I didnt think it was that bad as to laugh at though, it ws obviously someone trying/learning.. and now that we have these tools like instant vidoe etc, it can be a great way to learn in the beinning. many times peopel dont have access to the teacher etc they need for whatever reasons, maybe playing an obscure insturment whose name is usually either unrecongised or mispronounced.. and many times, people like Jason provide great advice, that many others not only the person who posted the video benefit from it...

Mate no offence but unless this a gee-up, you need to be told, you are bloody terrible!

**edit**

that will teach me not to read the thread before posting haha

Back