Fence Boundary ?

Erecting a new fence and just curious to know where the boundary is along the fence. I have attached 2 pictures showing what type of Paling Fence is being erected and another picture showing the post and paling.

Attachments

• Fence.JPG
    Fence.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 569
  • paling01.jpg
    paling01.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 469
My IP has the same type of fence and I had the same question and I was told that one neighbour gets the post and the other gets the good side (pailings) so the boundry is the blue line. My IP is in WA.

Hope this helps

Regrow

my thoughts would be the palings would represent the boundary line..
posts can be various sizes usually 120x75 ..
so i would say the fence posts may be on either side of someones property depending on exisitng erection of surrounding neighbouring fences .. typically between your left and right side boundary fences 1 will be paling side shown other post rail

Does anyone have any legal information to back this up? Or are people just assuming?

If it's 'the middle of the structure'....is it the middle of the total width of post and palings? Or middle of palings?

Even more important question...does a cm or 2 really matter? What shoddy neighbours if it does!

I don't think it's specified that exactly; I think they're assuming a modicum of common sense applies.

Why do you ask, windsor? Because if this is a dispute about maintaining the boundary fence, the location of the boundary is somewhat irrelevant... the cost of repairing/maintaining/replacing dividing fences is shared between the neighbours whose property it separates, irrespective of the exact location of the boundary. ie You can't say that the fence is entirely on the neighbours' property so not your problem. ;)

From what I have been told and I have no evidence to back this up, just word of mouth from the fence installers, its the blue line.

One side gets the paling and other side gets the post and rails.

The boundary is between at the centre of the Palings and Posts, which defines the boundary between two properties.

I dont think the fence determines the boundary line. The boundary is surveyed and it is where it is, regardless of where the fence is.

.... unless the fence has been out of position for 7 years or more - in which case, the neighbour with more of your land can claim it and have titles changed, but they need your permission to do so.

it's a great bargaining chip when it comes to building multiple boundary walls along a neighbour's boundary, or building higher than allowed, or in a bulk unbefitting to the streetscape, etc.

the dividing fences act 1961 (section 8b) says the fence must be on the common boundary - it doesn't stipulate which part of which fence is on which part of the common boundary. HOWEVER your local authority may have extra-over regulation to stipulate the position of - post & rail / colorbond / super six / post and wire - fences.

just because somethign is "generally accepted" doesn't mean it's right.

may pay to double check.

I had a fence contractor that came a few days ago and he said that the face of the palings go on one the boundary when erecting a new fence up.

See new picture attached.

Attachments

• Fence1.JPG
    Fence1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 299
I dont think the fence determines the boundary line. The boundary is surveyed and it is where it is, regardless of where the fence is.

Exactly.

If you had the boundary surveyed the fence should be erected in relation to the pegs set out by the Surveyors.

Regards JO

Lets say you purchase a vacant block of land in a new development, so tell me where the boundary is along the fence.

Is it the Blue line, the Red Line or Pink Line ??

Hi there,

My husband is a Surveyor. In his experience, fences are errected anywhere anyone pleases. It is open to many interpretations.

It SHOULD,however, be erected according to a Surveyor's Boundary Survey. Now, where the fence is positioned in relation to the pegs is anyones guess and only the two guys that did it will know. If the pegs are still there, you can work it out yourself. If they are not, then another Survey will tell all.

Regards Jo

Lets say you purchase a vacant block of land in a new development, so tell me where the boundary is along the fence.

Is it the Blue line, the Red Line or Pink Line ??

Where the Surveyor says it is: We are trying to say the fence is irrelevant.:)

regards Jo

Where the Surveyor says it is: We are trying to say the fence is irrelevant.:)regards Jo

Josko,

I think what windsor is try to say is:

I know where the fence line is - it is a thin line. But when I erect the fence which is much, much thicker than the survey line, do I put all the fence on my side of the line? or on the neighbours side of the line, or in the middle (i.e. posts on my side of the line and palings on the neighbour's side.

That's why I just went middle - so both neighbours get equal amounts of fencing materials on their own land.

But after this post - I'm out :)

Josko,

I think what windsor is try to say is:

I know where the fence line is - it is a thin line. But when I erect the fence which is much, much thicker than the survey line, do I put all the fence on my side of the line? or on the neighbours side of the line, or in the middle (i.e. posts on my side of the line and palings on the neighbour's side.

That's why I just went middle - so both neighbours get equal amounts of fencing materials on their own land.

But after this post - I'm out :)

Thank You, Should have written it that way from the start. And now does anyone have an answer??

Back