Fence - vent

I often wondered why so many colorbond fences blew down in my area. Well yesterday I had the great joy of finding 50m of it down on a block I recently brought.
Most of the posts averaged a 1/2 bucket of weak cement with a few rocks thrown on top. From the quality of cement I suspect they used gravel/dirt from the block not even postmix. Often the cement was not centered around post either.

I was able to recover every post with just a few hits of a hammer. Pity so much of the tin is now damaged. At least the installer was nice enough to leave a logo on it so I know who not to ever use.
2014-04-11a.jpg

A fence is a massive cantilever & sail. If the posts are not at least 50% as deep as they are high above the ground, they will come to grief - ie a 1.5 m fence should have a 0.75 m of post below the ground.

Home warranty job ? How old is fence ?

Only covered for storm. While its been windy the weather was fine. I have contacted them but I doubt will get a payout.
Unknown age as brought the block. From condition I would say no more than 5 years.

Agree that the posts should be a lot more than 200mm into ground.

...Agree that the posts should be a lot more than 200mm into ground.

My builder mate is building some units in Portarlington VIC and every time it got windy, the neighbours c-bond fences would fall over, or be damaged enough that they'd need to be redone.

A fence is a massive cantilever & sail. If the posts are not at least 50% as deep as they are high above the ground, they will come to grief - ie a 1.5 m fence should have a 0.75 m of post below the ground...
This is what my builder friend has said also. I asked him why not do them properly the first time. He's was saying all were finished construction, then purchased and holiday homes.

Could be worse, at least it didn't damage anyone else's property.

We were doing a tidy up on a newly purchased IP. Kids were playing with the neighbour's kids - I thought they were squeezing through the gap; didn't realise they could move the post and 2.4m of fence. Just laziness.

Twenty years ago holes had to be at least 600 deep about 300 in diameter. Proper concrete was used the stuff with the sand, gravel and cement powder mixed in.
These days $5 for rapid set at Masters / Bunnings and one bag per hole.

Back