Fencing now or later

Hi, I am nearing the completion of a 2 unit subdivision in Melbourne and the building surveyor in his final inspection has listed as an item that the perimeter fencing needs to be raised to 1800mm.

I had assumed that the fencing would be part of the landscaping and that I would have 3 months to complete it and could get the landscapers to do it altogether.

My Question is can the fencing be done later on when the landscaping is done or will it need to be done immediately to get the certificate of occupancy from the building surveyor.

If it has to be done now it is going to cause delays as I believe the neighbours have 30 days to respond to a fencing notice before you can go ahead and build it. Does anyone know the rules on this.

I used fence toppers, our fences were in good enough condition to last for several years yet so didn't see the point in replacing the lot, plus we only had to do around the unit on the rear block.

Hi, Fence toppers will work on the side fence but the fence at the rear is only being held up by the ivy growing through it and needs replacing.
Did you need the fencing completed before you could get the OC

Ha, our fences were definitely in a better state than that!
We did have to get them done before they would give the OC, but they were satisfied with us using the fence toppers to extend the fences above 1800mm which saved us a good amount but we will eventually have to replace the fences one day.

Back