Fencing

I'm looking to put up a fence and I've been told that some people use Radiata Pine and others use Slash Pine.

Apparently Slash Pine is better? Can anyone confirm?

Also I've called around and im thinking of using a mob called Active Fencing in Homebush. Has anyone used them before?

I want to use colorbond, but the council wont let me.

if the home is a long termer use treaded hardwood all round............anything less than this is easily eaten by termites..........do it once and do it properly.

another option is go to bunnings and buy colorbond fence panels...easy to erect and priced reasonable..

personally i wouldnt touch pine timber treated or not....it fades, dries and goes brittle, warps after long exposure to the sun....

use treated hardwood only is my opinion...

Last edited:
Hi neK,

Are you sure you need to go though Council? Fencing forward and behind the building line comes under NSW Planning Exempt development and metal fences are OK to 1.2m forward and 1.8 behind the building line.

I don't require council approval to put a fence up, but Parramatta council do not allow colorbond fences to be used when its facing a street.

Apparently colorbond is easier to graffitti than wood paling fences.

I could probably put up a colorbond fence and argue with the council, but its not worth the hassle.

Ive called around several places. Amazingly everyone has quoted the same cost per meter. $55.

It appears that the fencers get all their materials and job referrals from a similar source.

I called up Active Fencing and Pete's Local Fencing and from what I gathered, you call these places, ask for a quote, they then send the lead out to a fencer who services the area.

Whether the lead actually calls you or not, thats a completely difference question. So far I havent had any call backs. A few that I called myself had wait times of 5+ weeks. Didnt realise fencing was such a busy job that there would be a long wait.

Anyway, I've decided to go with a mate's cousin's mate. LOL He charges $65 per metre and little more for the gates, but he can get it done next week.

Back