Ferny Grove, Upper Kedron and Capalaba

There are 2 sides to Keperra, markedly different.

Older side (north of Samford Rd), large amount of properties ex defence dept. or housing commission - slowly being sold off and much gentrification happening - cheaper area.

And newer area (90's) Kingsway estate, built on site of old drive-in. Nicer area, but premium prices.

Really happy with how Keperra has performed. Picked up a ex dept. defence house there late in 2011 for under 400k. Latest valuation has seen a $70k jump after a $15k reno with a good yield.

Still looking in the area, but it is quite hot atm with what seems to be first homebuyers or young couples at the recent open home inspections I've visited.

Bunnings going in at the old quarry site on Settlement Rd along with a new premium housing estate. Will be interesting to see what this does for the area.

Icarus;1236007 Bunnings going in at the old quarry site on Settlement Rd along with a new premium housing estate. Will be interesting to see what this does for the area.[/QUOTE said:
Do you know though whether the quarrying activities will stop permanently? I read small quarrying activity is still going. Also the fact that FG is close to FG Transfer Station for Brisbane North - should I worry?

Do you know though whether the quarrying activities will stop permanently? I read small quarrying activity is still going. Also the fact that FG is close to FG Transfer Station for Brisbane North - should I worry?

Nah, for us renovators it is a convenience:D

There are 2 sides to Keperra, markedly different.

Bunnings going in at the old quarry site on Settlement Rd along with a new premium housing estate. Will be interesting to see what this does for the area.

Where is the new housing estate being developed, around Kapara St on either side or near Bunnings?

The new housing estate was going to be at Upper Kedron. It faced some (in my opinion) nimby opposition and the new state govt has put its application on hold for now.

I thought if it were around Keperra than obviously supply would increase, Keperra is where im thinking to purchase. Has had reasonable/solid growth over 5-10yrs and under 10km to cbd with new houses, apartments going up and Bunnings- seems a good start imo if i can get in for approx 400k!

Bringing an old thread back to life... :)

With regards to my reply, I was actually talking about the housing estate being built in the area above the current quarry (would be behind where the Bunnings is to be built). I saw a development map back before we purchased our Keperra IP (early 2013) - showing where the proposed new plots of land would be.

Just to confirm that I wasn't seeing things, I had a look back on Google Maps and the roads are outlined - Bella Vista, Meridian, Zenith, Summit Place etc.

Not sure when/if/how/why anything is going ahead, but would be an amazing view!

Not sure if you'll get anything for around the $400k mark there anymore, maybe mid-400's?
A basic low block 3/1/1 place parallel to Samford Rd sold for $440k last week. From memory that was purchased for $370k(ish) in 2013.

Obviously I'm still looking in Keperra, I'm thinking that there's still a little more movement in the market, but not the 10-20% that has occurred over the past 24 months. But, I could be wrong too..

Hi Icarus,

With surrounding suburbs over 500k I believe there will still be growth over the years and with the infrastructure and proximity to CBD I think under 450k is good value...But as I said if I could snag a place around 400k rented out with option to create equity I think it would be a goer. Where can you get a house within 10km of a CBD for around 400-450k - Not many places of this standard imo

Are you looking to buy and hold, b&h and reno?

Hi Teddy,

Re: surrounding suburbs being higher $$; you still need to remember that you're not comparing apples with apples. Keperra prices can't be compared to say Mitchelton, The Gap, Ferny Grove etc. as a majority of the bottom end properties are ex commission/defense housing and can't/don't command the same prices as neighboring suburbs. Truthfully, the houses, being ex-govt are probably better built, but the disconcerting buyer doesn't seem to see it that way.

20 years down the track (give or take), when things have been developed and gentrification has occurred, the story will be completely different.

Our strategy, buy and hold mainly, have done a few small developments but still small fish compared to most on this site.

I know what you mean.

I know it would be tough to get into the newer estate south of samford rd but as mentioned North is where the value is but so are the HC!

I think the other burbs in the area could be possible if purchased off market or reno required, unless i go for 3 bed TH?

Back