Final inspection - what to look for?

What do you look for in a final inspection?

Inclusions are present and accounted for (as per the contract).
Appliances work:
HWS produces hot water
Ceiling fans work
Hot plates, range hood, oven, grill all work
Air con works
All glass in the windows, shower screens and doors unbroken
Keys for all doors and window locks and lockable letter boxes are present and accounted for
All remotes for air con, roller doors etc are present & working
Check walls are in same condition as they were at exchange (check behind doors for holes)
Check everywhere including garden shed, garage, under house & roof space (put your head up in the manhole) to make sure all rubbish & possessions have been removed. ( you are buying with vacant possession).
Check carpets and other floor treatments are in same condition as they were at exchange.

The method I adpoted was 1) Is the property in the same condition as when I inspected and/or at offer; and 2) does everything work still work like it should which included testing the following:
*lights
*oven
*stove
*dishwasher (also is it still there?)
*toilets
*taps
*HWS (working)
*locks on doors (keys)
*garage door & opener
*water tank pump to existing plumbing
*power points (tested with a small night light)
*fans
*air conditioner
*fuse box (all trips OK & on)
*windows (& check glass)
*doors

yeah as womble stated: you're basically making sure that everything is the same as it was when you put pen to paper. Your contract should read that goods are included with the home "as inspected".

First, make sure everything is still there (ie fixtures, fittings, blinds, floor coverings, light fittings).

Then make sure there hasn't been any junk, loose items or old furniture left behind (don't forget to check the garage). You shouldn't be paying for this removal of rubbish. A courteous vendor will clean the place for you too (incl a vac and wipe down of the place).

There's no point checking the taps, toilets, door knobs, light switches etc unless you already checked them all before buying the home (which you should have). If you're only checking these things for the first time on your final inspection then chances are any problems you do find were probably there when you put pen to paper...

Thanks all

If they indicated that air cond is included in the contract, by right do you expect the air cond to be functioning?

Last time when i was looking at another property (which i didn't end up buying), i noticed the air cond wasn't working and I looked on the contract and it said air cond included. I think I was reading somewhere that the contract has a clause that says what you see is what you get. So although unethical in my opinion to list down air cond as an inclusion in the contract, its in theory acceptable.

So what happens if you inspect and find something not what you expect. Do you tell the agent or the vendor? Should I expect the vendor to be present during final inspection, would it not feel awkward?

We just use the condition report as our reference.

Basically, the property should be returned in the same condition it was rented out in.

We document everything in the condition report and take photos at the commencement of the tenancy. We then allow the tenant to cross check and confirm that the report is in order.

We then use the report during routine inspections and end of lease inspections.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks all

If they indicated that air cond is included in the contract, by right do you expect the air cond to be functioning?

Last time when i was looking at another property (which i didn't end up buying), i noticed the air cond wasn't working and I looked on the contract and it said air cond included. I think I was reading somewhere that the contract has a clause that says what you see is what you get. So although unethical in my opinion to list down air cond as an inclusion in the contract, its in theory acceptable.

So what happens if you inspect and find something not what you expect. Do you tell the agent or the vendor? Should I expect the vendor to be present during final inspection, would it not feel awkward?

yeah it's always "as inspected". so if the Air Con worked when you bought it, then it should work when you settle. Actually, a reasonable person would expect that if the contract stated "incl. air con unit" then it should really be functioning... but yeah, sometimes it is somewhat unethical when items don't work.

yeah it's always "as inspected". so if the Air Con worked when you bought it, then it should work when you settle. Actually, a reasonable person would expect that if the contract stated "incl. air con unit" then it should really be functioning... but yeah, sometimes it is somewhat unethical when items don't work.

also the agent should be present (legally), but it doesn't hurt if the vendor is there too. they can tell you a lot more about the home than the agent can. i understand it can be awkward, but really it is the best way to go.

Back