Finance for 1 bedroom properties

I was recently in the ANZ bank finding out about residential loans. The Manager told me that it is their policy not to lend more than 60% for one bedroom properties???????
Has anyone else found this to be the case?
Thanks

Hi July,

Have they told you this policy applies to any 1 bedder? I know some lenders have a problem with smaller 1 b/r units (less than 50 sq m) as well as with bedsitters.

Say cheese :p

Lotana

PS - I don't believe I've posted to the forum 100 times! I think I talk too much. :D

Just keep looking. Move past ANZ - I have a small one bedder. I rang up a couple of little mortgage shops and got a loan with no probs (90% LVR).

Jas

Hiya

Much comes down to what the property actually is in terms of security "quality".

Generally the policy with most lenders is 80 % for sub 50 sqm true ONE bed units.

We have placed one bedders with a true 45 sqm with loans as high as 97.1 % Interest Only for 10 years through the ANZ so its not quite as clear cut as that Manager may have indicated.

ta

Rolf

PMI, the mortgage insurer, recently changed their policy so that the minimum size is now 40 sqm. It seems that not all lenders who use PMI (e.g. ANZ) have decided to adhere to this change. There are a few smaller lenders that shouldn't have a problem with the unit assuming it is a reasonable size. Heritage Building society is one that should be okay with it.

i don't know the situation in your area.

but i would take it as an indication that 1 bedders are not desirable with the banks and probably with the market iether.

don't jump down my throat if i'm off track.

Hi Ruk
I also thought the same way until I learnt that there are 16 real estate agents in my area, each one has more than 32 investment properties listed on their books. Less than 2% of those properties are one bedroom apartments, 0% are freestanding one bedroom properties and they have phone calls every day from couples and singles looking for 1 bedroom properties to rent. Whilst contrary to my beliefs, I changed my strategy and bought one bedroom properties and am receiving more rent for these properties than from my renovated 2 bedroom propertyin the same location.
Perhaps it shows how slow the lenders are to changing trends.

Hi July

There are some significant changes in our society's make up that is causing the phenomenon that you are seeing.

Some of those are:

1. Break up of the nuclear family. More and more relationships result in a breakdown. Result - two dwellings where previously there was one.

2. A more affluent society. Where ten or twenty years ago "young"people were forced to share for financial reasons, the increasing income of our professional young ones means this is no longer the case.

3. A move to more city based living. In Sydney at least 20 years ago the inner city and most near CBD suburbs were not hip. They are today.

4. Convenience society. Kitchens no longer required - we eat out or get take away for 1 meal in 4.

Ta

Rolf

Back