Financial Planner/Adviser in Perth

Hi
Does anyone know of some 'good' financial advisers/planners in Perth? One that has property investment interests as well. Everyone that one gets to talk to pushes for shares and now super. Can't property be part of our super plan too?! Diversify, isn't that what we're supposed to do?

We're both Baby Boomers, so need some serious planning.

Jay

Hi Jay, the reason Financial Planners (aka Financial Product Agents) only push those products is because of the commissions... plentiful and paid fast. There is no quick return for finding you a decent property. It's like going to a car sales yard and asking why they can't sell you a swimming pool - it's just not their gig.

I feel sorry for the great majority of people looking for sound financial advice, because it is few and far between.

I have had this link saved for some time and not sure where it came from:

http://www.travismorien.com/FAQ/main.htm

http://www.travismorien.com/main.htm

some interesting stuff, no idea if he is still aorund or any good.

Why not post some thoughts here and get a variety of responses from a large number of investors with a HUGE range of experiences :confused:

its what I do ;)

Financial Planning

Hi
I read an interesting article in Fin Review - smartinvestor mag, page 45.

A group called Momentum Planning in East Perth 9221 1955.
I was particularly interested in various strategies they have used for their clients written in the article.
I did contact them, they are not affiliated with any particular product. They are involved in strategies using property, shares, MF, business.

I am not personally recommending them but it may be worth researching and finding out whether this group may suit you. Also google them to find out more.

All the best.

Financial Planning

:eek: :eek: My husband has reached the big 60 and I'm following along at 52 and as we left our retirement planning very late in life, I was hoping for someone in with financial planning knowledge to do some sums for us.

So far we have our PPOR valued at $370K, 1 IP valued last month at $210K purchased 12 months ago for $185K (yes we only dipped our toes in the water then) and now in the process of sharing an IP with our daughter, due for settlement in a couple of weeks. This one is $312K, however a third of it is in our daughter's name.

We both have super, however mine is only from a part time income so will only buy probably our groceries if we're lucky. We are putting extras into my husbands each week with salary sacrificing. We also have a small share portfolio of around $100K.

Although we left the run to retirement (living) late, our plan is not to be totally reliant on Centrelink.

Anyone willing to give us some direction? :eek:

Jay

Now that your husband is 60, one topic you should raise with your super fund/fin planner salary sacrificiing his income to super and drawing a pension from it up to the same amount of net income he would receive.

This can save you from "donating" some his income to the tax man each pay and allow more funds to accumulate in the super fund.

Money taken from the super fund is also tax free and i think that earnings on the money in super are tax free also (check this with your super fund)

OSS

:eek: :eek: My husband has reached the big 60 and I'm following along at 52 and as we left our retirement planning very late in life, I was hoping for someone in with financial planning knowledge to do some sums for us.

Anyone willing to give us some direction? :eek:

G'day Jay,

Take comfort from one of Jan Somers stories, where she discussed an elderly couple in their very late 70's attending her talks about property investing, and after a while they approached Jan and excitedly told her that they had put a contract down on their very first IP, adding that it was an investment for the future when they got old....:)

Given that benchmark, I reckon you guys have started very early in life and have a good store of wealth to draw upon.

My parents have done the same as you guys, helping my sister into an IP. There was a written undertaking that the 1/3rd partner to the agreement slowly pay off the larger partnership via regular payments. This does two important things, # 1 it gives the daughter a sense of ownership and a definite goal to head towards. # 2 it gives the parents a reasonably secure source of income to rely upon as she pays off your 2/3rds. The bank is till there I suppose in the background, but that's OK.

It looks as though you have stumped up some of your PPoR equity to underpin the 2/3rds of the IP you have bought, so it's a form of LOE (Living off equity) without all of the complications.

Your super (presumably accessed via an allocated pension) along with the fully franked dividends of 5K p.a. or thereabouts should see you a bit more comfortable than just a straight Govt pension.

If your hubby works 'til 65, you'll be amazed what you can do in 5 years with both of you working.

My father retired at 65, and accumulated more in that 5 years that he did in the previous 60. He was a bit nervous about not having enough at retirement also. He is now pretty savvy when it comes to investments, and is now earning 20% more than what he was working. A little bit of rent, a little bit of shuffling stocks around, and little bit of golf and caravaning keeps him healthier and wealthier than when he was working.

I'm not as clever as a real fin. planner and not lawfully qualified to say one word to you, but would enjoy a chat if you wish. What I do probably wouldn't be appropriate for your ages and risk profiles, but who knows what may come out of the chat.

It sounds like you'll got a bright future ahead of you. Enjoy it !!! :)

Last edited:
Hi Jay, the reason Financial Planners (aka Financial Product Agents) only push those products is because of the commissions... plentiful and paid fast. There is no quick return for finding you a decent property. It's like going to a car sales yard and asking why they can't sell you a swimming pool - it's just not their gig.

I feel sorry for the great majority of people looking for sound financial advice, because it is few and far between.

I have had this link saved for some time and not sure where it came from:

http://www.travismorien.com/FAQ/main.htm

http://www.travismorien.com/main.htm

some interesting stuff, no idea if he is still aorund or any good.

Yes I've spoken to this guy, and he is still around, I think trading under a different name now, but he is an independant financial advisor... a rare thing as I understand.

However, from the sounds of it, he's not particularly interested in property, which is ok if you are looking to diversify from your property portfolio.

Yes I've spoken to this guy, and he is still around, I think trading under a different name now, but he is an independant financial advisor... a rare thing as I understand.

However, from the sounds of it, he's not particularly interested in property, which is ok if you are looking to diversify from your property portfolio.
Today 03:11 AM

Is anyone on this forum a client of Travis? I would like to hear what you think of him from your own interactions.

If you read the FAQ on his website it is EXCELLENT. Yes, he does not appear too keen on property or MF but seems to have a good handle on investments in general.

Any info on him would be appreciated.

Shakil

Back