Financial Year in review

I remember in previous years there being threads on here asking posters to rate their progress over the financial year towards acheiving their financial goals. I thought it was a tradition worth keeping............

So......

• How would you rate your financial year (from an investing perspective)?
  • What acheivements did you accomplish (doesn't matter if their not large)?
  • Did you make progress towards your financial goals? Are you happy with your progress?
  • Why/why not?
  • If you had the year over again, would you do anything differently (if so, then what)?
  • What are your goals for the new financial year?
  • Did you acheive your goals from last financial year?

HI there
in response to this query - my goal this year has been to replace my husband's salary with rental income - have probably achieved it from a gross perspective but for the new financial year need to work on it to achieve it from a net perspective - so eventually he will have the option whether to work or just go fishing.
thanks

For purely hands off investing - average to good.
    Most funds, CPT's performed ok. IP's gained unexpected value Q4.

• What acheivements did you accomplish (doesn't matter if their not large)?

Share trading income ovetook combined household salary income for first time.

• Did you make progress towards your financial goals? Are you happy with your progress?

Yes, but still a bit below par.

• Why/why not?

Taxes getting bigger as income gets bigger....

• If you had the year over again, would you do anything differently (if so, then what)?

No.

Grow core trading capital.
    Increase profit margin (thru research on new techniques etc)
    Sell underperforming IP's and plough into trading capital
    Expand growth oriented investments
    Add to emergency buffer

• Did you acheive your goals from last financial year?

We exceeded our expectations for the year.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Reactions: qaz
I remember in previous years there being threads on here asking posters to rate their progress over the financial year towards acheiving their financial goals. I thought it was a tradition worth keeping............

So......

Excellent! Beyond my wildest dreams!!!

• What achievements did you accomplish (doesn't matter if their not large)?

Changed jobs - stepped out of my comfort zone & took a big leap! Fantastic employers - reward for effort, etc - income almost doubled! Bought 2 IPs at 15% below market price in blue-chip suburb in the last 4 months. :)

No goals were set - Absolutely happy! :D

• Why/why not?

My financial life has turned upside down for the better! :)

No

Buy 2 more IPs (hopefully in the same unit complex as my other recent purchase). Increase income another $5,000 to around $70k

• Did you achieve your goals from last financial year? N/A

Thank you for posting this thread! :)

[*]How would you rate your financial year (from an investing perspective)?

Fantastic :)

[*]What acheivements did you accomplish (doesn't matter if their not large)?

- sold my PPOR so now have no property assets (at a small loss)
- 31% ROI for my stocks about half of which I bought after selling the PPOR
- over 500k Networth again, which had taken a beating earlier (personal reasons)
- made some fantastic new friends (does that count as an achievement?)
- found and learnt a lot on somersoft

[*]Did you make progress towards your financial goals? Are you happy with your progress?

-Absolutely - I aim for a 15% ROI, and achieved double that using a buy and hold strategy with relatively conservative shares - mainly through LICs trading at a discount.

[*]Why/why not?

- I think its self explanatory :cool:

[*]If you had the year over again, would you do anything differently (if so, then what)?

- Well i would have avoided a tip i received from one of my mates, and kept going with another one .. selling out of GTP a month or so before the takeover rumours was a bit disappointing!

- I would have purchased a stack of BHP shares in hindsight ... but given I cant forecast the future, I think i'd stick with exactly what I have done.

[*]What are your goals for the new financial year?

- Well I am hoping for double digit returns again, although maybe not to the 15% level which is my long term goal.

- I may jump back into property, but am not sure about that yet. Will wait and see.

- I am also going to start reducing my lvr of around, and work towards getting that down to around 40% I think in the long term.

[*]Did you acheive your goals from last financial year?

- Yep - as above

How would you rate your financial year (from an investing perspective)?

Superb. I tripled my equity and made significantly more than I did from working. It was a bumper year for the share market. In fact, I'd liken it to how the property market was the year before: just buy anything and you made money. Pick well and you made a lot of money.

What acheivements did you accomplish (doesn't matter if their not large)?

Bought my first house (now an IP). Created a (now significant) share portfolio.

Did you make progress towards your financial goals? Are you happy with your progress?

Yes and yes. My goal in the medium term is to buy a house I want to live in in a good area of Perth and then debt recycle to have a significant share portfolio and a tax deductible mortgage.

Why/why not?

Nine months after buying my first house I'm buying my second with the increase in equity from the first. This in Perth where some areas have been falling in price I picked a suburb that looked good based on my research and turned out to be one of the top 10 growing suburbs.

If you had the year over again, would you do anything differently (if so, then what)?

Buy CGJ (then CML) at $10, buy QAN at $2.50, buy BHP at $25, invest in uranium IPOs, not buy QBE at near the peak (my only direct share loser).

What are your goals for the new financial year?

Double my share equity. Buy an off-the-plan IP and either turn it around for a quick profit or rent it out in a booming rental market.

Did you acheive your goals from last financial year?

Exceeded them actually.

If you were to look at my finances & check boxes and do a number crunch you would think it was abysmal.

I kept on going.... I know for me it was a mammoth effort and a big achievement.

Thanks Marty..... if there is a boat heading my way I hope it is the Carpathia!

My feet are very wet.

Now my knees.

Still playing this viola.....

:D .............. the Carpathia was a steamship that rescued survivors from the Titanic.

Back