Financing Granny Flat - chicken and egg

what are the pros and cons between granny and full sub division (apart from reduction in time taken).

Currently you cannot subdivide a GF and sell of separately.

If you were to sub divide land and build you will most likely have increased the value of the property (providing the numbers for a subdivision/dual occupancy worked in the first instance) and you could sell either the land with P&P's or the fully constructed property to another buyer. You could not do that with a GF (at this point in time)

GF takes 10 days to approve in most cases and 10 week build time, lower holding costs bc the construction on a GF is cheaper.

Not sure if in NSW you can get a second dwelling built and approved in that time frame? In Melbourne it takes anywhere from 6 - 12 months just to get the approvals through.

i managed to secure over 120% construction finance (on build cost) on my granny flat in Blacktown through homeside (the extra "20%" included removal of a large amount of asbestos on site which only ended up costing $10k). This was with almost 85% LVR so I also had to pay LMI

Hi Newbieatlife,

I am a little confused?

You secured a 120% of construction price, but had an 85% LVR?

What was the 120% secured against? Purely the build, the build plus the house, the build plus another property which had equity in it?

Sorry let me explain,

bought the property at 377,000 with 80% LVR = 20% deposit ($75,400) = loan of $301600

bank valued the property plus extra granny flat at $480,000....... minus initial deposit of $75400 = ~85% LVR and I have access to ~$103,000

cost of granny flat build = $82500 inc. GST so the construction loan i was able to borrow equates to about 120% of the build cost

chuck in things like fees, draftsman, private certifier (which I had to pay up front), fencing, site preparation (which I had to pay up front) etc etc and I don't get left with very much at all but I didnt really have to fork anything out of my pocket in the end which was good!

It wasn't exactly $480,000 I think it was even a little bit more but I forgot the exact numbers lol

PM me if you want details of the broker I used....there was a lot of pfaffing about with other banks and crappy valuations before I ended up with Homeside and I think the prospect of me refinancing with them was also a drawcard to give me more money? I also had everything ready in terms of plans etc before I approached the bank right down to details like sectioning off the 2 properties to ensure purely a separate dual occ., letters from agents confirming expected rental return on the granny flat etc etc....Not sure if it made a difference but it worked out OK

Not sure if anyone has seen this before and has any comments or feedback, but I thought it was interesting. Perhaps an import from China or something similar.

Second property listing.

http://www.gotchahome.com.au/relocatable.html

It's a relocatable granny flat.They CANNOT be approved by a Certifier and almost all Council's wont approve relocatable/transportable buildings.

Yiou can get you half decent 60 sq m granny flat for 25k delivered ready for construction BUT you still need>
1. Approvals $5k
2. Site Costs (excavation, connection to all servioces) $25k
4. Construction costs (Qualified Builder) - $40k
3. Final touch-ups (letter-box, clothesline, curtains, fencing, landscaping etc)

Supply of a kit is the cheap part, don't be fooled by seemingly cheap structures.

You have 2 issues here. One is finance (which I will leave to the mortgage brokers) and the other is whether or not your block will suit a granny flat build and if it does - whether you will go down the Private Certifier route with a 10 day approval or whether you have to go down the DA route which is a 6 week minimum process with Council.

A guy like brazen from the forum here, who is Serge at http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/ will be able to assist.

If your block is suitable, then go down the Private Certifier route and stay the hell away from Council...QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind plug Propertunity.

To the OP: I can let you know 100% whether the granny flat can be approved or not and under which legislatiuon (Private certifier vs Council). This will cost you zero. just a phone call, so you wont be taking a gamble before you go for goal.

What you will need to pay for initially is for a Site Survey, property searches and some profesional reconnaisance to see what other factors might affect your build cost:
1. Sewer mitigation
2. Tree removal/avoidance
3. Slope of land (Excavation)
4. Building Site access
5. Drainage mitigation
6. Demolition costs...

These things can add a lot to a build so it's well worth a small initial investment to have these assets surveyed and reported on, no?

Back