finding how long a property is listed in RE.com

Sometimes if you do a google search and type in the exact address, it will bring up links to realestate.com and domain.com which have dates on them (look carefully). Whether these dates are from when the ad was originally placed I don't know, but it does give a bit of history as it will show the price as well, so you can figure out at what date it was listed for what price.

Not the most accurate of tools but if you see that the property has a larger number of hits compared to other properties in the suburb, as well as if it's at the end of the suburb list it also means it's been there a while.

Any techies out there able to tell us if the source code of the properties webpage discloses a date? We know it has the price in there for properties that haven't disclosed it.

When you search on a suburb you can sort by "latest listing".

Won't give you the date, but will let you know how many properties have been listed since.
Marg

I haven't worked out how to check the date of listing. Its definatly stored in the database but the code doesnt display it on the screen.

You can however check estimated price by clicking view source and searching for price.

Also if the property is up for auction or was up for auction you can normally assume that its been there for 4 weeks prior to the auction date

There is a way but it will take some work on your behalf.

Each listing has: name="id" value="105321800"

This id would increase by 1 every time a property is listed.

If you say once a month find a new listing and record its id number then in the future looking at a properties id will map to which month it was listed.

Then again, it would only take one person here to maintain it on a sticky thread and everyone could use it.

Or someone with a little programming knowledge to write a script that reads it each month.

Shouldn't be hard to do i wouldn't think. Maybe i will put something together.

hey bailz. just wondering if you ever did throw something together. If you did we should make it a sticky coz it would be very handy tool - example, identify keen sellers due to long listing times.

Is there any way of looking at the "source" of the property detail page to determine the date it was posted? I tried... but couldn't find anything useful.

An unreliable way, however it’s worked a few times for me, is to view a picture’s Exif information. Many digital camera’s stamp details within their file structure of the photo taken (example, type and model of camera, exposure, shutter speed…and what you may care about, time stamp of photo taken). FireFox has a plugin, where you simply right click a picture and select ‘view Exif image data’. The few random pictures at the start of this forum (those at top) all had Exif data still on them, so I can see the date they were taken.

In order to view successful Exif data, you have to go to the original picture…thumbnail pictures won’t show that. So that’s usually a case of clicking on the thumbnail link to get to the original (bigger) picture.

As I said earlier, it’s unreliable. Modifying the picture can strip the Exif off it. If the grass was shopped to look greener, or the sky blue…then the application may strip the data off as the file is saved. Scanning pictures won’t add an Exif on it. I’m sure Agents are wising up, so you can turn that option off on some (probably most/all) cameras, or strip the Exif data off before uploading to a web page.

It’s also unreliable in the sense that the camera might have a wrong date/time in it (I can never be bothered setting the correct date on my camera). The pictures could have been taken some time ago, way before the place has actually been listed.

It’s also unreliable in the sense that the camera might have a wrong date/time in it (I can never be bothered setting the correct date on my camera). The pictures could have been taken some time ago, way before the place has actually been listed.

That Exif info is pretty cool! Thanks. I'll install it and check it out...

One of our IPs is for lease on re.com, and the agent is still using the photos from 12/18 months ago when we did the reno, so I can see how it wouldn't always be accurate!

If you have access to RPData and subscribe to the "On the Market" feature this shows the entire advertising histories of properties- very telling indeed with particular homes. Be aware that sometimes "new listings" are simply repackaged with new agents. Always ask REA's how long the property has been on the market for sale, with both themselves and any other (former) agencies, if appropriate.

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this would be considered self promotion but here goes.

For the past couple of months I have been developing Domain.com.au tools for myself as I really get annoyed by the amount of featured listings.

I believe someone mentioned how the ID's go up by 1 everytime someone adds a property to the market. This is true, I have just finished a tool for myself which will record the ID's of Domain.com.au properties so I will be able to tell how old a listing is to the date.

I have developed other tools like statistical analysis to your search critearia on Domain.com.au (i.e. Mean, Mode, Median, i this z-score too).

I would like to increase the number of these tools and inclue RE.com.au as well, where I could make a tool that estimates the value of a property depending on the distance from a certain city.

Is there anyway to determine how long a property has been listed on RE.com or Domain.

Great question!!!!

the answer is: I don;t know

but would love to know, wouldn;t that be a great bargaining tool!

Or someone with a little programming knowledge to write a script that reads it each month.

Shouldn't be hard to do i wouldn't think. Maybe i will put something together.

Last edited by a moderator:
coxycrew:

try this - which is what I do -

browse to www.onthehouse.com.au

Click Property Values (or, just go to this link instead) http://www.onthehouse.com.au/property_values/

Type the address in but wait till the drop down box comes up confirming the exact address, click it then click search

in the next screen on the LHS find the right property and click it.

You will then in most cases see a report similar to this-

sold prices for the previous sales

For Sale - Listing History
Date Type Publication Property Type Price
01/03/2011 For Sale Online Listing - Agent Unknown $368,000
10/12/2010 For Sale Online Listing - Agent Unknown $389,900
24/10/2010 For Sale Online Listing - Agent Unknown $399,900

This will then show you when it was first listed, for how long and what price/price drops.

Google the property address and click "cached".

You'll get the page with this on the top:

"It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 24 Mar 2011 10:48:22 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime."

Back