finding out about setbacks?

Well the last property i looked at proved to be too expensive due to its slope. Now i'm looking at a much flatter block in Yangebup, Cockburn, WA. Is there somewhere online where i can find out about building setbacks applicable to a specific lot? The block in question is a corner lot with two street frontages. The council website says its zoned TPS3zone.

TPS3 is Cockburns town planning scheme number which has the development requirements across the whole of the City of Cockburn. The site is most probably zoned residential and the Cockburn website has an intramaps system so you can search the address and get the exact zoning and density coding. In terms of setbacks, this is usually found in the R-Codes - see table 2 in the document (google 'Department of Planning WA R-Codes'). The setbacks are determined based on the height and length of the wall but there is discretion available to vary these requirements.

Depending on where it is in Cockburn there may also be a Detailed Area Plan that applies to the site which will often have design requirements that override the R-Codes (their intramaps will show whether this is the case).

Further to R codes and Cockburn, i'm looking for the regulations pertaining to an R20 corner lot. I know the front setback is 6m and side is 1.5m. However how is the setback on the chamfered corner determined?

Hi Dexx

The R-Codes apply state wide and all councils are bound to them, unless they prepare their own local policy to vary some of the requirements (most don't bother). So the R-Codes will explain how to work out the setbacks - refer to the explanatory guidelines in the back of the codes.

When I worked for councils i always measured the setbacks as if the corner was squared and the truncation wasn't there, unless someone was trying to build right up to it or even inside it, in which case the council engineers would have a field day! :D

Back