Fire rated wall

Hi Sahi

Did you get any pic's of the fire wall in progress?

I would think that a few people would be very interested in viewing these.

Also did you build on a slab or raised floor? If a raised floor how did you have to cater for the foundation gap?

Cheers

Hi Sahi

Did you get any pic's of the fire wall in progress?

Also did you build on a slab or raised floor? If a raised floor how did you have to cater for the foundation gap?

Cheers

No, unfortunately I didn't take pictures, although as far as I remember it was a pretty standard wall just with fireresistant sheets on both sides of the wooden frame, acoustic insulation lining. (The wall must be sound and fire proof)

The house is on the concrete slab, not on stumps. The wall went all the way into the roof cavity, so had to cut through the ceiling and adjust the cornices.

No, unfortunately I didn't take pictures, although as far as I remember it was a pretty standard wall just with fireresistant sheets on both sides of the wooden frame, acoustic insulation lining. (The wall must be sound and fire proof)

The house is on the concrete slab, not on stumps. The wall went all the way into the roof cavity, so had to cut through the ceiling and adjust the cornices.

What were the costings sahi, if you dont mind sharing:
1. Approval
2. Physical works.

What were the costings sahi, if you dont mind sharing:
1. Approval
2. Physical works.

I don't have exact figures with me, from memory:

Town planner - 4K
S94 - 7.7K
Fire rated wall - 8K
Private certifier - 1.7K
Council costs (I think) under 1K

Had to make the G/F BASIX compliant, install water tank, heat pump, of course paid to sparkie and plumber.

Total cost - over 30K, but I got a bit more than 5K in write-offs.

I brought certifier and builder together, 3 of us had a chat and agreed on a firewall that would run side by side with the existing wall.

Thanks Sahi, your comments have been really helpful so far!!

Am I right to understand by the above statement that you left the original wall alone, and put up the new fire rated wall right next to the original wall? In this case only 1 side of the original wall would be affected (that is, you had to cut through the ceiling only on 1 side of the original wall, and nothing was done to the other side?)

Thanks, sorry, Im a total renovation idiot. Need to watch 'The Block' more often!

Would it also be possible to share how many meters the new fire rated wall was, that you paid 8k for? When was this? wonder if prices have increased since then..

I wonder if anyone might know how much it would cost if we had to put down new foundations for a house on stumps, before building up the fire rated wall... Brick homes and homes on concrete slabs are rare!

thank you!

Indeed, I left the original wall alone so had to cut through the ceiling only once (on the main house side). Total length was about 5.5m, I think around 4m of bedroom and 1.5m of ensuite.

So, had to cut through the wall between the bedroom and ensuite as well, move the toilet, fix the tiles. 8K didn't include the plumber costs.

It was last year, on Central Coast, don't think the prices have changed drastically, but your costs would depend on your area and how busy your builders are and how much they want the job.

Thanks Sahi, your comments have been really helpful so far!!

Am I right to understand by the above statement that you left the original wall alone, and put up the new fire rated wall right next to the original wall? In this case only 1 side of the original wall would be affected (that is, you had to cut through the ceiling only on 1 side of the original wall, and nothing was done to the other side?)

Thanks, sorry, Im a total renovation idiot. Need to watch 'The Block' more often!

Would it also be possible to share how many meters the new fire rated wall was, that you paid 8k for? When was this? wonder if prices have increased since then..

I wonder if anyone might know how much it would cost if we had to put down new foundations for a house on stumps, before building up the fire rated wall... Brick homes and homes on concrete slabs are rare!

thank you!

Fire wall

hi Sahi

Tks for the useful info...

One question: were the rental returns before and after this fire wall worth it?
Mind sharing numbers?

Hi Virgo,

When I bought the house, it was pretty much ready for 2 tenants, I just put the fence in the backyard. several months later somebody dobbed me in, I got the letter from the council and had to do it properly.

The numbers haven't changed drastically between before and after fire wall.Currently - total rent $560, purchase price 385K. I think renting out the full house will get me not more than $420-$430.

The firewall provides total separation and must be soundproof as well; my first set of tenants before the firewall was in place, had some issues between them as cigarette smoke from one dwelling got to another, also loud conversations were heard which was far from ideal.

Sahi

hi Sahi

Tks for the useful info...

One question: were the rental returns before and after this fire wall worth it?
Mind sharing numbers?

We did a granny flat main house seperation many years ago.

We basically cut the house in half and built a double brick wall inside the granny flat.

Just to give you an idea. There are a whole heap of pics in my gallery.

Cheers

Hi guys,
I have posted my tax related questions in SS tax section about our upcoming garage conversion to granny flat. I've got an architect drawn up plans ready for DA application. We'll get it organised this week and send it off to the council. DA was prepared coz one of the walls is closer than 900mm to the boundary.

Ours is an existing detached garage/storage about 59sqm with job half done by the previous owner. We'll use the existing structure but fix walls, insulate roof (may be new roof sheets), fire rate one wall close to the boundary, bring in outdoor toilet/shower inside the granny flat, install rain water tank, etc.

My question here is:
Should we get a private certifier to oversee the project? We have zero building experience.
We're also looking for a builder + plumber + electrician. How much should we budget for as an example? Rental return for GF is estimated around $280-$300. Any one interested in working with us?

Thanks guys.

Hi guys,
I have posted my tax related questions in SS tax section about our upcoming garage conversion to granny flat. I've got an architect drawn up plans ready for DA application. We'll get it organised this week and send it off to the council. DA was prepared coz one of the walls is closer than 900mm to the boundary.

Ours is an existing detached garage/storage about 59sqm with job half done by the previous owner. We'll use the existing structure but fix walls, insulate roof (may be new roof sheets), fire rate one wall close to the boundary, bring in outdoor toilet/shower inside the granny flat, install rain water tank, etc.

My question here is:
Should we get a private certifier to oversee the project? We have zero building experience.
We're also looking for a builder + plumber + electrician. How much should we budget for as an example? Rental return for GF is estimated around $280-$300. Any one interested in working with us?

Thanks guys.

Pity. I can get a garage conversion (in most cases) done as Complying Development through a Certifier even when its less than 900mm from the side/rear boundary- much cheaper and faster (10 days).

You wont be able to use use a Private Certifier with the path you have chosen. Have a quick read of this thread:
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81403

Serge

Hi Sahi,
I have a five bedroom weatherboard house which I am thinking convert one part to the granny flat, your information on this thread is very helpful. could you recommend your builder and private certifier please? My property is in blacktown council.

Thanks,
Possibility

Hi Sahi,
I have a five bedroom weatherboard house which I am thinking convert one part to the granny flat, your information on this thread is very helpful. could you recommend your builder and private certifier please? My property is in blacktown council.

Thanks,
Possibility

I sent you PM.

Ryde council will be hosting a talk on what they require from applicants building granny flats.

NSW Granny Flats

If you own in Ryde or were looking into GF why not take up this opportunity to learn how to capitalise on your IP?

Hi Sahi,

Thanks,
Possibility

BlACKTOWN Council told me not to get a private certifier (unless I want to pay more money) because they are certifiers.

Back