First Home Buyers Grant BEWARE!!

Hey.

Asking for input here.

Has anyone heard of anyone being caught or asked to pay back the FHBG

I have heard of at least 4 ppl who have had to pay it back.

Anyone else heard of this?

If they had to pay it back, it means they claimed it falsely in the first place. It's not like they changed the rules about the FHOG. If you don't meet the criteria, you don't get it. If you claimed it falsely, you have to pay it back. What's the problem?

Yes - was in our local paper a while ago.

I am of the understanding that your utilities bill is checked to ensure you are living at your PPOR.

Regards
Sheryn

If you meet the guidelines then you wont be asked to pay it back.

If you don't - well you need to repay it. If you are dishonest - then good luck in wealth building. People lacking integrity can make money too but I think karma has a way of catching you up.

If you end up not meeting the guidelines you can repay it and then claim it again at a later date.

Is easy money and just a small amount. Not worth compromising your integrity over.

Do people still believe in integrity these days or is it just us Duntroon graduates :rolleyes:

Don't worry Simon..... there are plenty of us with integrity. I don't know how those without it sleep at night. I like having a clean conscience :)

Not getting the grant is sexually transmitted, too. I've never got it, and thus my partner can never get it. And then if we ever break up, if he gets a future partner they can never get it either.

It would be nice if you at least get half if, say, you divorce and remarry and neither of you in the new couple has ever got the grant before, just that one of you has an ex-partner who has either got it before or was never entitled to it in the first place.

saw a guy - bank managers son actually - who was in the ADF.... he got it, then shipped off to iraq. he had to let the place out, then pay the grant back along with the higher stamp duty for investment properties.

I believe that if you claimed it, and were not eligible you deserve to be caught and the full weight of the law applied. This is fraud.

I am of the understanding that your utilities bill is checked to ensure you are living at your PPOR.

Regards
Sheryn

Is it that easy? One can just leave few light bulbs on and a slow running tap if thats the case...

I am not a FHB btw, just trying to make a point that its easy to fudge utility bills.

Is it that easy? One can just leave few light bulbs on and a slow running tap if thats the case...

I am not a FHB btw, just trying to make a point that its easy to fudge utility bills.

Not easy if the plan is to rent it out but pretend you are living there, which is what some would be doing.

Traveller
I agree it would be easy to do but you would IMHO end up with an 'internal conflict' of your conscience if you value honesty & integrity as your beliefs.

Sheryn

saw a guy - bank managers son actually - who was in the ADF.... he got it, then shipped off to iraq. he had to let the place out, then pay the grant back along with the higher stamp duty for investment properties.

Pretty sure that if he had of asked them to grant him an extension so he could fulfill it when he got back they would have given him one, hell they may have done that anyway.

I'm sure I even read something specifically about defense force types.

In any case, he could have claimed it as his ppor while he was away, and not rented it for the 6 months ; D

Regards
Sheryn

Really ?That easy ? when you dont have to move in right away how long must they be tracking every one ?

Really ?That easy ? when you dont have to move in right away how long must they be tracking every one ?

You have to move in within the first 12 months and rent it for 6 months.

The utilities in your name is what they check - not the actual usage.

You don't lose entitlement if you end up repaying it. You can then class that property as an IP and apply for it again.

But at the end of the day it isn't that much money and not worth compromising yourself over.

If the governments going to hand out tax payers money then give it to everyone, this robin hood circle cylce really gives me the shi*s in an increasingly over legislated country. Rules are for sheep and where do they usually end up? Do you see wolves following rules?

FHOG isn't means tested, just for the record.

I agree, if they've had to pay it back it's their problem, and they have commited a crime and to be dealt with accordingly. (except for the case of the forces guy)

Simon, unfortunately it is only a small minority that still have intergrity and morals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunfish, I believe it is arrogance to believe that someone who is young has no place in addressing this forum. It appears that you take issue with her for the slightest little thing, based on her age alone. At no time has either myself or her in any way even hinted that you don't have significant experience. I am sure that you have seen and done many things in your lifetime. You also need to realise that she has also seen and done things that the "average" teenager has not, and this is what she brings to the forum.

This forum is here as an aid to us all, old and young, newbies as well as experienced investors. We all have different views on different subjects too. But continually attempting to cut someone down, just because they are young is not in the spirit of this forum.

Here's a short list of what the government practically looks at when determining where your main residence is (whether for FHOG or other purposes):

1. Utilities bills (as already mentioned in this post);
2. Address on electoral role;
3. Address on private health policy;
4. Driver's license address;
5. Address on tax returns.

There are other sources but the above covers about 90% of what they look at.

Zargor

Back