First time investing - options

Just the opportunity cost.

Had you underpaid you may have made 6X return etc... and could have refinanced to get the extra LVR - which is why it is vitally important to only underpay.

i.e -

100k purchase = 500k 20 years later (5X return)

or

80k purchase = 500k 20 years later (6.25X return)

If it was worth 100k when you bought but paid 80k you wouldn't have to wait long before you could get the 20k out and by again - then you get 12X the return and potentially much more if you know what you are doing and refinance at every opportunity.

Yes, I became self-employed but I am contracted to the same company as I have been with for over 1 year and I've got a contract in place. I wouldn't think that finance would be an issue?

less then 2 years ABN...Not an issue; just don't expect a 95% LVR loan with a standard interest rate.

Generally speaking with self employed ( most contractors with own ABN as well) you need 2 years of stable income (consistence) before they would consider it as a standard loan...else you may need to go into the low-doc funding line; which is ok- but rate is 0.5-2%+ then the standard and LVR is max at 85%.

I'm just after some advice on what I should be looking for. Yes, ideally such a property would be perfect but what else are the options? I just want a few pairs of eyes to glance over my strategy before I start out.

Your strategy is pretty common- Buy positive geared + release equity in 12-18 month time...

Sounds good; but in reality it's not that easy because not all +ve properties will go up by the value your expecting...if anything 5% maybe, if your lucky depending on the area, and even then the valuation may not stack up.

So your strategy may work based on
- What you do to the place? ( value adder- rental or capital - ie renovations, new kitchen? GF? etc...)
- How long you hold
- Which bank ( not all bank's policy will align with your strategy, especially the equity release bit)
- rental yield

To be honest, with your income of 300k - presuming this is a stable income....and you can maintain a simliar income for the next 3-5 years, you should have enough cash to ride out any negative gearing....so don't focus on +VE too much ( im a fan of +ve!) but rather look for good location with good capital growth drivers. :cool:

I guess I read too many of those investment magazines today where it all sounds so easy to become a millionaire and live of your assest. Obviously a lot of hard work is involved on getting there. I'm just scared I suppose. Investment Properties cost a lot of money if you do get it wrong, so I'm trying to avoid it, also I'm not sure how.

Research + read and speak to another investors.:)

If your still scared and worried- speak to a Buyers agent and pay the fee to avoid any costly errors.

Why not give Propertunity a buzz?

Regards
Michael

Hi FI,

Hope the below assists, or gives rise to some more discussion or contemplation

Look forward to your feedback

Hi there,

I've been reading and learning for a while now and now want to start investing. I do have an idea what I want to do: build my wealth with investment properties and retire early. Well, who doesn;t want that? If I read the investment property magazines, it seems doable, so I want to be an example of how you can do it.

Apparently 70% of property investors own only 1 property and 50% sell their property in the first 7 years. It's the old story....if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it ;)

I would value forum members opinions on my personal situation and which strategy I should develop to reach my goal.

You will get as many differing opinions here as there are members, regarding investing strategies

There is not a real lot of detail in your personal situation above though to assist and how much do you want to lay bare on an open forum?

I just became self-employed with one major contract worth about $300k pa. I own an investment property which used to be my primary place of residence. I just re-financed it to get it of all other debt and to transfer it into an investment loan which increases my cash flow. The property is currently rented and pays 50% of my mortage costs.

Do you have other contracts also?

You rent now?

A Good Mortgage broker will be able to assist here when looking at your income and serviceability levels, it will at least give you a starting point

I'd like to build a portfolio and be able to buy a few houses fairly quickly, as I think houses are fairly cheap atm and will go up in value soon.

Australia is a big place, with a myriad of markets, "houses are fairly cheap atm and will go up in value soon" is a broad brush statement; where do you think they are cheap and will go up in value soon (Rocky?) and why?

More information will assist respondents to your thread

How should I achieve this? Ideally, I purchase a positive geared property in a high capital growth area and should be able to use savings from this property to purchase another one in 12-18 months. What's the opinion of some more experienced investers?

Sounds like a good plan, if i could purchase a positively geared property that also gave me enough in capital growth to purchase again in 12-18 months i'd do so...Port Hedland was a good example, it had reported 11% growth last year and has properties with 10% yeilds

I thought its run was done, however I thought that the year before also...what do you think about its 2012 prospects?

Also, should I buy the property or my company? If I buy it I pay nearly 50% tax on the income, if the company buys the property it's only 30% but there's CGT which I believe is no way around.

Along with a good Mortgage Broker you need a good accountant and preferably one who's able to assist you with your strategy, once you choose it.

As Rolf said though, it would be best not to mix your investing & your business with the same company

How do you work out "nearly 50% tax on the income"?

2010-2011 tax rates are incremental and the highest is $180,001 and over = $54,550 tax plus 45c for each $1 over $180,000 (and a 1.5% medicare levy). However you may have many offsets and add-backs with your business and investment property?

One way around CGT is a PPoR, another is not to sell; there are also legitimate strategies to mininimize CGT and the government will also give you a reduction if holding an investment more than 12 months. If its high cashflow-high growth why sell though and if you did, where would you put your money?

I would really appreciate some opinions and advice. Thank you!

Yes, I became self-employed but I am contracted to the same company as I have been with for over 1 year and I've got a contract in place. I wouldn't think that finance would be an issue?

You're not in I.T with a mining company are you :D

I smile because that was a recent target for the ATO with many companies, however that said, you do need to be aware PSI and the rules therein

The Good Accountant may also give some guidance here

What's the advantage trust vs company?

The Good Accountant can help out here also, however not all accountants are familar with the various types of trusts structures and there are many threads on the forum dealing with trusts vs companies vs individual names..well worth a read

To be honest, with your income of 300k - presuming this is a stable income....and you can maintain a simliar income for the next 3-5 years, you should have enough cash to ride out any negative gearing....so don't focus on +VE too much ( im a fan of +ve!) but rather look for good location with good capital growth drivers. :cool:

Would the $300k be considered income for serviceability? Or would the brokers and banks prefer the tax return income figures?

Mate, I was you a few years ago. And so were alot of other people too! ;)
The reality is: Everyone has to start somewhere and I know everyone wants to buy the magic property that triples in value the very next day but it doesn't work that way unfortunately. Many people start off by buying a cheapo property that they see good growth in that they can do a little work too to boost the rental return and get into more property sooner.

Cash-flow AND growth is where it's at. Cashflow for ease of borrowing and growth for deposits. You could probably buy 3-4 properties fairly close together in terms of timeframe if you had the deposit costs, most people don't though and thats where you are forced to wait for capital growth to buy the next one. Darwin is a great place for this right now if you feel confident in buying interstate..

I'm sorry but I misunderstand a couple of posts here which was clear to me after JWR's last post.

I'm not expecting everyone to straight jump onto my question (sorry patience isn't my best attribute), I just had the feeling that this wasn't taken serious and now after my last 'burst' the chances are probably slimmer.

I guess I read too many of those investment magazines today where it all sounds so easy to become a millionaire and live of your assest. Obviously a lot of hard work is involved on getting there. I'm just scared I suppose. Investment Properties cost a lot of money if you do get it wrong, so I'm trying to avoid it, also I'm not sure how.

Generally speaking for Contractors with a ABN- we do need tax returns and financial ( at least 12 month); some banks allow for a case by case sort of deal...but only at a LVR under 60% or so- something stupid like that....

The 300k doesn't include expenses yet....so it could really be $120-200k after expenses ( random figure for illustration purpose...)

Regards
Michael

Generally speaking for Contractors with a ABN- we do need tax returns and financial ( at least 12 month); some banks allow for a case by case sort of deal...but only at a LVR under 60% or so- something stupid like that....

The 300k doesn't include expenses yet....so it could really be $120-200k after expenses ( random figure for illustration purpose...)

Regards
Michael

Thanks for that, it as I thought then

Wow, some great advice here - thank you so much!!!

First, I will try to answer some of your questions:

Yes, I re-financed my house to get rid of all other debt (sorry for the confusion).

I understand finance might be a problem, I will have to check this out with my bank and a good broker.

Re my income, it should be stable for the next 3 years, I don't know yet what will happen afterwards.

Yes, I figure out if it would be easy, everyone would be doing it.

As for more infos on my personal situation, not sure how much more is needed? Like I said before I do projects and income can vary immensly between jobs. I want to start investing now as I do have the money but I don't want to find myself in a situation in 3-5 years when I might earn less, that I'm no longer able to pay the mortage.

I don't have any other contracts as the one I have takes up all of my available time.

Yes, I currently rent and I get LAFHA.

I think QLD and WA is an area where property prices always will go up.

I know, I'm not paying exactly 50% in tax, it's less but I'm in the highest tax bracket. Since I've got a -ve geared property that helps, not sure how it would look like with a +ve geared one.

No, I'm not in IT. I'm not sure yet how this will work with the PSI, my accountant said, she'll sort it.

I do work as a consultant, so my expenses are fairly low (only car, general business expenses ect).

Secondly, let me summarise your advice:
1. Get educated (in progress)
2. Find an experienced property investor (don't know anyone personally unfortunately)
3. Find a good mortage broker (any recommendations?)
4. Find a property savvy accountant (not the same as who does my business accounting)
6. Find a good lawyer
5. Seek out and hire an independant Buyers Agent (again - how do I find one?)

Lastly, just have the guts and do it - after I've done my research.

Does that sound about right?

I think it is more than that James (and I know you're trying to be helpful).:)
You can pick the right area, but choose the wrong type of property
You can buy the right type of property, but choose the wrong street
You can choose the right street in the right area but finance it the wrong way
You can finance it the right way but overpay for it value-wise
You can do everything right and put the wrong tenant in it or choose a dud PM

There are sooooooo many traps for the novice.

In relation to all this, what is the value of actually seeing or having disclosed to you the loaning banks valuation on the property you're looking at buying?

Back