First time renovator - what trade does this??

Hi Guys,

The dust has settled on my first renovation project and I am keen to start progressing some of the major works.

The major job that I am keen to get completed is the removal of a structural wall to provide an open plan living area. This will allow me to turn the current sitting room into a third bedroom.

The area in question is the result of a previous enclosing of the rear veranda so the wall I want out is the original real wall for the house. The property is a 1900's timber and weather board cottage and the wall can sort of be seen in the second post in this thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45640

Any advice on how to start this process would be most appreciated - I don't even know what trade to get in contact with :eek: - Is it a builder, carpenter, structural engineer etc.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

A registered professional engineer would be your first port of call.. since the wall is structural, you'd need to have plans submitted to council for approval.

Cheers guys,

My take on the process based on the post...

1) Arrange for a registered professional engineer to inspect the property and develop plans for the job.

2) Submit plans to Council for approval.

3) Have a builder/carpenter complete the actual work.

If I am missing something, please let me know and also any tips on tradespeople servicing the Bassendean area would also be helpful.

Thanks again - Craig

Cheers guys,

My take on the process based on the post...

1) Arrange for a registered professional engineer to inspect the property and develop plans for the job.

2) Submit plans to Council for approval.

3) Have a builder/carpenter complete the actual work.

If I am missing something, please let me know and also any tips on tradespeople servicing the Bassendean area would also be helpful.

Thanks again - Craig
If the plans have to go past council for approval, then that would be the first place I would be going.
No use getting the engineer to do plans only for council to reject them, or bring up other issues.
I'd want the council onside first, then take it to the engineers etc...

Just how I would do it, take it with a grain of salt as I've never done any of the work your suggesting.

um yeah

You definately need an engineer as stated, however, i would try to getthe carpenter there first or at the very least at the same time.
The reason being that engineers look at the integrity of the job without any thought for how the job will progress. eg
I recently quoted a job to build a mezzanine floor to house large aircon units. Plans drawn, signed off by engineer-cost $68,000
Had a look at the plans and realised if we used a pole plate against existing wall and changed direction of bearers and joists, we would be able to utilise existing structure
Plans redrawn, engineer signed off- end cost $28,000

Get yourself a good chippy or builder first who can design what you require, then get your engineer to stipulate requirments and sign off (This will geatly help getting your plans through council if you go down that track)

good luck

The reason being that engineers look at the integrity of the job without any thought for how the job will progress. eg
I recently quoted a job to build a mezzanine floor to house large aircon units. Plans drawn, signed off by engineer-cost $68,000
Had a look at the plans and realised if we used a pole plate against existing wall and changed direction of bearers and joists, we would be able to utilise existing structure
Plans redrawn, engineer signed off- end cost $28,000

I think that description applies more to an inexperienced or just plain bad engineer.

Then again, I'm biased, since that's my profession. :p

This is the order we followed.

1/ Talk to an architect or draftsperson first to establish the design concept. Basically anything can be achieved these days so give them your house plans and get your concept drawn up.
2/ Either the architect / draftsperson (or you) will then take the plans to the Engineer who will visit your house and draw up the specifications.
3/ Take the whole lot to the council and submit for approval (8-12 weeks here !!)
4/ Start interviewing builders and getting quotes for the work.

Back