Fixing Laundry Tub

Hi,

I'm just wondering, whats the cheapest and easiest way to fix a hole 1mm x 1mm in a stainless steel laundry tub?

I was just going to put duct tape on the bottom of the tub and hope that prevents water from dripping. But is there another solution? Maybe epoxy resin or something similar?

I was just going to put duct tape on the bottom of the tub and hope that prevents water from dripping. But is there another solution?
Very funny neK :p "Put some sticky tape on it and hope for the best :p"

On a serious note, 1mm x 1mm is not big. How about:
1. Screwing a small screw into the hole with some silicone sealer around its threads before you screw it in?
2. There is some can of spray on gunk (sealer) advertised on TV a while ago to seal plumbing leaks.
3. Or try a dab of expoy from the top (with your duct tape underneath to stop it falling through until it is set).

That screw with silicon is a good idea, dont know why i didnt think of that!

But i think i'll go down the epoxy path.

But ill probably use something like this

http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-KneadIt-Aqua/default.aspx

Far out... $23.95 though.... reckon plumbers have this on them? Gonna get a plumber to get rid of a garbage disposal underneath the sink anyway.

Where do you get that JB Weld stuff from?

Don't spend $23 on stuff.
Just go to Ebay and buy a second hand one. They go for cheaper than that sometimes.
We just bought 7 lights (RRP $60 each) AND a new laundry tub ALL for $80.

House was being demolished. BARGAIN.:D:D

Not as good as the NEW 1 1/2 bowl kitchen sink for $5.50. LOVE Ebay.

If it's a DIY, you could use a 1/8" sealed stainless rivet, a bit of silicone before you snap if off would help too.

Otherwise, a spot of TIG weld and grind it back so it will look like there was never a hole.

How old is the tub?

We have a number of them that are going to be thrown out so if suitable you are welcome to one of those.

You would need to pick up from Cabramatta.

Cheers

probably about 5-10 years old.

Something like this.

http://www.renovationboys.com.au/cl...=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=69&category_id=17

Thanks for the offer handyandy. I might take you up on it depending on how old they are (for my other property which has a tub thats from the 1950's - but isnt leaking at all, just looks old and ugly)

Don't spend $23 on stuff.
Just go to Ebay and buy a second hand one. They go for cheaper than that sometimes.
We just bought 7 lights (RRP $60 each) AND a new laundry tub ALL for $80.

House was being demolished. BARGAIN.:D:D

Not as good as the NEW 1 1/2 bowl kitchen sink for $5.50. LOVE Ebay.

Its more painful to rip out the old one and put a new one it. Is it just silicon they put on the edges between the tiles and the sink? ie If i get the same height, its just a matter of putting it in an putting new silicon around it?

Is it just silicon they put on the edges between the tiles and the sink? ie If i get the same height, its just a matter of putting it in an putting new silicon around it?
It will probably have a folded up lip, at least at the rear, that will have been tiled over.

How did it get a hole in it in the first place.
Must be very poor quality stainless.
If it has not been damaged you might have an electrolysis problem.
This is usually caused by some kind of electricity charge running through the stainless.

Easiest and best is Selleys 'roof and gutter' silicon sealant. Get in small tube about $7.00. Wire brush underneath if rusty or just wipe clean underneath hole. Squirt liberal amount (enough to cover a 20 cent piece say) over hole. Get a mug and half fill with water and add a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Wet/soak your finger/s liberally and use to 'tool' or smooth over silicon so it forms a nice mound over hole. Wet fingers again if gets sticky. Wipe off any silicon protruding inside tub. Leave for 24 hours and Bob's ya uncle! The key is the soapy water!:D

Back