How to stop Bathroom Wet Floor?? Ideas???

Hi guys,

I've noticed during my recent property inspection that the bathroom floor was super wet. Like completely drenched.

The bathroom has no drain hole. and the water leaks through to downstairs... (drips down from the ceiling).

I'm 100% sure they tenants are showering together and having some wet and wide times, just wondering do you guys have any ideas I could implement to reduce the water on the bathroom floor?

I don't want to have to tell them to be careful:
close the door when they shower or dry themselves with a tower before getting out. (Since they might not be both getting out at the same time so the first person has to leave the shower wet. and take out with them alot of water to the bathroom floor). (This is just a band-aid solution, they are not likely to listen as they don't care about the property)

I have ordered a 25$ super absorbent quick dry bathroom mat but I fear this isn't enough... :(

Do you guys have any ideas? I don't like the idea of water damage through the floor. Know any good brands of mats? or some innovative products? that could help me in my situation?

Something to capture the water? A hook on the shower glass so they can reach the towel?

The shower floor and sections of the shower wall have a waterproof membrane but the bathroom floor and walls do not.

It is not reasonable to step from a shower or bath wringing wet onto the bare tiled floor outside, or to allow splashing from the shower onto the outside floor. That is certain to damage the property instances being lifting tiles, rotted floor and rotted carpet outside the bathroom.

Like hire cars, which can accelerate and brake like an open wheel racer and go cross country, for some, rental property is there to withstand the abuses they would never subject their own possessions to.

You can accept that, or alternatively advise the tenants as per para 2 above and confirm it in polite but assertive writing. Only very casual, irresponsible tenants would subject property to the abuses you are complaining about. It is vandalism.

I can't see how walking on tiles while wet is vandalism.
Seems like you need to get the tiled area sealed so that water doesn't get through.

I am going to put up some 3M hooks behind the door so they have a place to put their towels maybe as soon as they get out of the shower then can put a towel around their body so this will reduce water....

Do you guys have any other ideas?

I am going to put up some 3M hooks behind the door so they have a place to put their towels maybe as soon as they get out of the shower then can put a towel around their body so this will reduce water....

Do you guys have any other ideas?

And, how are you going to MAKE SURE that they do carry their towel to the bathroom? Sorry, but this is just a not a fix. This is micromanaging.

Why does bathroom not have a drain hole? Get that done and as Tokala suggested, get the tiled area sealed.

If I was a tenant, I would feel a bit odd if my landlord gave me suggestions on how to behave in the bathroom.
Putting a drain in the bathroom floor won't be easy - and there won't be a fall on the floor anyway i.e. the water won't head to the drain.
Get onto someone who does shower sealing. Sealing a leaking shower is often not successful, but your problem should be easier to deal with and more likely to succeed.

I can't see how walking on tiles while wet is vandalism.
Seems like you need to get the tiled area sealed so that water doesn't get through.

What is deliberately causing damage to be called?

It is not a reasonable act to paddle around on a tiled floor dripping wet from the shower or bath. It is an ordinary and reasonable expectation that care would be taken and an absorbent mat would be used. Likewise tiled areas should never be saturated with water. Mops always need to be wrung out before being applied.

We had a house where the tenants slopped water onto a polished timber floor as part of their leaving clean up. It resulted in the power below becoming wet and the incoming tenants had no electricity. Two electricians spent a full half day locating the earth leakage problem. Nice!

Floor areas where a waterproof membrane is to be installed are constructed of a heavy compressed sheeting. The membrane is installed over. The floor is heavy and the cost high. Membranes do not last forever and the larger the area the greater the likelihood of problem. Drains require sloped floor and room in the flooring for plumbing. Often that requires a ledge at the doorway.

You should make inquiries of builders to find out how few houses are built to your expectation.

Retro-fitting would be an enormous job.

Put a special condition on the lease banning shower sex, and install a hidden camera to verify they are abiding by it?

Could also net you more cash each week than rent for the internet feed?

I've noticed during my recent property inspection that the bathroom floor was super wet. Like completely drenched.

I thought you had a PPOR and were buying your first IP, complete with hole in the ground? Do you have other IPs?

I'm 100% sure they tenants are showering together and having some wet and wide times, just wondering do you guys have any ideas I could implement to reduce the water on the bathroom floor?

Oh. Is this a CIP? You've got to expect a lot of showers in that sort of CIP.

You can't discriminate against wide tenants, regardless of their profession.

I don't want to have to tell them to be careful:
close the door when they shower or dry themselves with a tower before getting out. (Since they might not be both getting out at the same time so the first person has to leave the shower wet. and take out with them alot of water to the bathroom floor). (This is just a band-aid solution, they are not likely to listen as they don't care about the property)

How do you know, or even suspect they are showering together? Do you have a spy camera? Perhaps they are just doing they're bit for the environment and saving water.

I have ordered a 25$ super absorbent quick dry bathroom mat but I fear this isn't enough... :(

Me too...

Do you guys have any ideas? I don't like the idea of water damage through the floor. Know any good brands of mats? or some innovative products? that could help me in my situation?

I'd suggest water proofing the entire place. That way you can just hose it out at the end of every tenancy or hour...

What sort of tiles are on the floor? ie are they unglazed (like tesselated tiles) as these are not recommended for bathrooms because they can (and do) absorb water to the point that the bed is saturated & leaks occur in the most unlikely places.

Could you ask your tenants to shower outside or have dry showers/sponge baths rather than wetting the floor?

From the OP:

The bathroom has no drain hole. and the water leaks through to downstairs... (drips down from the ceiling).

It is usual for homeowners to avoid splashing water onto the floor surrounding a shower or bath, and to towel themselves off to an extent before stepping out onto a toweling bath mat. Also to avoid treading water from the bathroom to other rooms. We would all have seen set stains and rotting carpet adjoining wet areas where the occupants don't do that. Persistent wetness in bathrooms is a source of mould throughout a house. There are also safety reasons why spills should be avoided and attended to where they occur.

Similarly, spills on vanity, laundry and kitchen benches need to be wiped up. Water can quickly and easily find a way through the smallest gap in sealing to loosen laminates and rot timber.

It is not unreasonable to expect tenants to take normal due care - as would be recommended by the maker of the products and the installer. That also includes not using harsh, abrasive cleaners, acids and stiff brushes (damages tiles, grout and sealants).

It is inconceivable that the tenants would not already be aware of the problem. Too easy:

"The water coming downstairs is from the bathroom floor above. Would you mind looking out for spills and use a towelling mat please?"

what did your pest and building report come up with? I would think if this has been an ongoing issue (assuming these tenants have been in for a while) there would have been some evidence on the downstairs ceiling?
I thought you hadn't settled yet on this property or have you been pulling our legs?

I'm guessing these are the tenants which are sharing (can't recall - was it a granny flat or something?) the OP's PPOR, maybe?

"What is deliberately causing damage to be called?"

I don't think they are deliberately causing the damage. Who would go out of the way to damage a house. I have been nothing but nice to my tenants so I don't see why they would do anything bad to me. But as I said, it's not their house so they don't care about the damage.

I guess their logic is if the house breaks they move something else...

I'm fine with them showering together, but as I said the amount of water on the floor is unacceptable. i can't image how they manage to get this much water on the floor.

I have a 1 piece glass door that fully closes. There shouldn't be this much water, unless one person gets out of the shower in the middle of showering does something outside around the bathroom sink and then hops back in the shower and then repeats?

I think the water going through the tiles would make the wood rot or create mold... I agree with the others I would love it if there was a drain hole but don't think it's as easy as putting one in. also even if one is put in some other places the water would still collect and stay there.

Fishmen, I had a similar case where there was a short circuit and the safety switch kept tripping. I finally located the fault after half a day and it was to do with the switch for the bathroom light.

They (tenants) have pushed so much water into gap between the switch panel and the switch that it shorted the connection :(

I have installed the 3M hooks and told them about it I hope my situations improves... I'm still waiting for the super mat to be delivered...

I really wish the they would also see it as what Fishman put in the second post but they just don't care.

I bet my life's savings if it was their house they wouldn't be this reckless.

I guess they just feel they have to get their money's worth :(

If the hooks doesn't work i will get some of the sqeeze gun thingo and get the tiled area sealed more so.

Last edited:

You have purchased a bathroom without a floor drain. Is this even legal? Did the building inspection report flag this as an issue?

Sounds like a dodgy renovation or addition.

I'm fairly sure when we did the bathroom just recently that our plumber said we could do it without a drain. We chose to put one in though.

Would be good to know whether having a drain is a "must" even though it probably is a good idea.

Any plumbers on here care to answer...

what did your pest and building report come up with? I would think if this has been an ongoing issue (assuming these tenants have been in for a while) there would have been some evidence on the downstairs ceiling?
I thought you hadn't settled yet on this property or have you been pulling our legs?

Refer to Hobo's post.

I haven't lied and I will not lie to you my friend. :)

Are you gen Y?

That's an interesting question, I'd like to know why you asked it.

I've been following your other adventures as posted to the forum and this leaking bathroom and your suggestions for fixing it (towel hooks on back of bathroom door etc) does not surprise me in the least.

I look forward to more in the future.

Back