Flaking ceiling paint advice

The ceiling paint in my bathroom is constantly covered in mould, flaking and peeling off...

I have painted it twice using anti-mould paint but still have the same issue. I have 2 exhaust fans in the bathroom as well!

And there's only 2 of us living here so there's only 2 hot showers a day!

Any ideas? I've got no idea what to do!

Check the roof for leaks.

Or, if the exhaust fan vents into the ceiling, the moisture is just being moved to the other side of the ceiling and is condensing. Exhaust fans need to vent outside the building not into the ceiling cavity.

Check the roof for leaks.

Or, if the exhaust fan vents into the ceiling, the moisture is just being moved to the other side of the ceiling and is condensing. Exhaust fans need to vent outside the building not into the ceiling cavity.

a leaking roof was my suspicion, its a strata complex and the strata have told me they have checked it out and there are no leaks....

i might have to invest in one of those devices that checks the moisture levels

but maybe your 2nd job's paint stuck on to your first job's paint, which then flaked....?
unless you removed the paint from job 1 + original flaking paint entirely before commencing job 2.

We had similar issues, only way to resolve it for our situation was

Make sure the exhaust vents are clear and working firstly!

Use a blade scraper and get rid of all flaking paint
Lightly sand
Leave to dry out if there is any moisture in the ceiling at all
(I.e. 2 hot showers twice a day will continue to add moisture! Pick a weekend away to give it really good drying time)
Prime with an oil based primer, let this dry
Use
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ma-white-mold-and-mildew-proof-interior-paint

For final coat and leave to dry for 24 hrs. It is an expensive product but far superior to dulux mild and mildew resistant paints, which did not work for us.

Last edited:
Back